Does anyone else have the stupid skin coloured support rule ???

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I got so angry at my last competition.
I sprained my knee doin flic layouts on beam so have to wear a knee support all the time but my knee support is blue!
There was a new rule that all supports have to be flesh coloured so for my comp i put a tubigrip bandage over the top and got deducted .5 off every piece because it didnt match my skin enough and that accumulation of deductions meant i didnt get into nationals :mad:
Just wondered if anyone else around the world had such a stupid rule.
I dont know what i would have done if i had darker skin because most places only have bright white bandage
Aj x

No, but some coaches prefer it because it makes the line look better. I think is USAG an apparel deduction (and this is not an apparel deduction anyway) is like .1 taken off the AA by the head judge, after a warning. I know the head judge does it anyway so I would assume it's off the AA.

That beats the USTA brastrap deduction (and the judge's solution of "then don't wear one) by a significant amount. The stupid, it burns!

ive also come across this too from other gymnasts.
it the same in nz you have to wear skin coloured supports or tape. im not sure about the tone just as long as it skin coloured. i dont know how much you get deducted either.

its also the same for any attire under the leotard is showing is also a deduction

:mad: :eek: its crazy!

I've never heard of that. At my meets people use tan or black supports and braces. One of my teammates even tapped up her ankles with black and pink tape to match our leotards. The judge actually said she liked it. I don't know if they have different rules though because I compete for a YMCA.

We have it too (UK also). The skin colour doesn't even match skin tone when you're a peellywally Brit who sees sunshine approximately twice a year.

its one of the stupidest things if herd!

in gymnastics you cant help getting hurt ( you can prevent from getting hurt, but it still happens )
and then you get it put against you with stupid rules saying you have to have the right skin colour support or you'll get deducted !

its pretty sad if you ask me :mad:

that's rediculous. i've taped my ankle up with purple prewrap and white tape and thats not even our colors and no one said anything about it. and that would make me mad too.

if it was my choice i'd send you to nationals. :)

wait in the usa do you have to have a skin colored brace or can it be like black or blue?

Apparantly NC has a rule like that as well.

Stupidest thing ever. Why does it make a difference what color a brace is?

Apparantly NC has a rule like that as well.

Stupidest thing ever. Why does it make a difference what color a brace is?

We do ??? !!!!
DD's ankle brace is blue. This is because the ACE Neoprene one is the only one small enough to do her any good. I wonder if that had anything to do with her lower scores at her first meet in GA?
I knew she was a bit loose, but I thought her scores were a bit low even for that. How would I find out?

It is actually an FIG rule and the deduction is 0.3. However, this should only have been taken once in All Around competition, and from each event in event finals.

The wording from the code of points is

"Hand-grips at uneven bars, body bandages and wrist wraps are permitted; they must be securely fastened, in good repair and should not detract from the aesthetics of the performance. Bandages must be beige coloured."

This is from Article 1.2.

Now, I have heard somewhere that it says skin coloured, but I have it right in-front of me and it says beige!

I know a lot of people opt, as you did for covering it up with tubigrip, or even zinc oxide tape (the stuff that is like a plaster) But this causes problems of its own when it comes unravelled! This happened when Nicole Hibbert (GB) was on beam at the British Championships - her tape unraveled from around her ankle when she was on beam - luckily she stayed on the beam but there were a few hairy moments!
You can see it here YouTube - Nicole Hibberts beam routine, Womens British App Finals 2009

Last edited:
This is NOT a rule in USAG (girls) competition, as far as I'm aware (if it is, it's not being enforced). Individual states should not be using it in USAG sanctioned competitions, I don't think they have that power at a sanctioned event. Besides, apparel deductions are taken by the head judge off the AA, and I'm pretty sure they have to warn the coach before taking it anyway. I highly doubt it was taken, and if it was, the coach would have seen it noted on the score card. But they should have been made aware before the gymnast competed. I'd have to go look through the R&P but in most cases like this it calls for a verbal warning.

Thanks Gymdog !!!

I thought HC would have known or been told, just never heard that before. I have seen so many girls with black braces, I could not imagine that they were all getting deductions.

The wording from the code of points is
"Hand-grips at uneven bars, body bandages and wrist wraps are permitted; they must be securely fastened, in good repair and should not detract from the aesthetics of the performance. Bandages must be beige coloured."

The stupidest bit about this rule is that they still allow those ugly white shoes!

I have that rule when I compete. My wrist guards, bra, and underwear must be skin colored, and I cannot wear nail polish which I know is a rule for everyone but whyy?? haha.

Now, I have heard somewhere that it says skin coloured, but I have it right in-front of me and it says beige!

What about darker-skinned athletes like Downie or dos Santos? Does it have to be beige-colored or flesh-colored to match the gymnast?

But yeah, man, that is the stupidest thing I've heard in a while.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back