Parents Does anyone have BWO drills for beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So my bean continues to struggle with the BWO on beam. She is able to do the BHS on the high fatter beam and standing tuck but her coach wants a consistent BWO. Dd has so much power anf combined with her ADHD just cant seem to consistently slow herself down and usually launches herself to side. Some days when all the stars align and her focus is amazing she can do 9/10 beautiful one.
This week her coach was so frustrated with her she made her do them over and over for an extended period of time and said to her she should have had the skill years ago [emoji15]
Her coach is young and recently took over the team. I like her and she has been working hard. She wants bean to compete level 7 in Nov and the beam connection is the only missing piece. I have zero faith that bean will have it ever unless we break it down so she has to count or something. It sounds silly but It is what has slowed her down and helped her learn other skills that she tends to rush though. Is a bhs-bhs allowed in 7?
I have the kid who could do a kip but the mill circle almost did her in. She would propel herself so hard she would go around twice. It took alot of effort to finally harness her power and get it.
Its so hard to watch your kid doing some level 8 skills successfully and still not be able to get a basic.... losing hope...

So my bean continues to struggle with the BWO on beam. She is able to do the BHS on the high fatter beam and standing tuck but her coach wants a consistent BWO. Dd has so much power anf combined with her ADHD just cant seem to consistently slow herself down and usually launches herself to side. Some days when all the stars align and her focus is amazing she can do 9/10 beautiful one.
This week her coach was so frustrated with her she made her do them over and over for an extended period of time and said to her she should have had the skill years ago [emoji15]
Her coach is young and recently took over the team. I like her and she has been working hard. She wants bean to compete level 7 in Nov and the beam connection is the only missing piece. I have zero faith that bean will have it ever unless we break it down so she has to count or something. It sounds silly but It is what has slowed her down and helped her learn other skills that she tends to rush though. Is a bhs-bhs allowed in 7?
I have the kid who could do a kip but the mill circle almost did her in. She would propel herself so hard she would go around twice. It took alot of effort to finally harness her power and get it.
Its so hard to watch your kid doing some level 8 skills successfully and still not be able to get a basic.... losing hope...
Btw, she has a beautiful one on the floor

There are many combinations that fulfill the requirement for level 7 is it a gym requirement for BWO BHS? Lots of kids struggle with BWO mostly due to lack of flexibility or fear or some combo of the two. It's a skill best done slowly and that's scary!

Several of our level 7 and 8 girls compete cartwheel round-off connection and score well (2 were state beam champs) and one team girl does a front handspring front walkover connection (again state champ). My DD did handstand backhand spring because she couldn't get her back walkover consistent after being out injured for 7 months (it scored okay but not great). Unless it's a gym requirement there are other options. Like someone said above be careful of too many back walk overs as they can be tough on the back.

The whole thing with optionals is that it can be tailored to the athlete. But some gym expect certain skills. Not cool the coach is belittling instead of helping solve the problem. How is her backwalkover on floor? How is her shoulder and leg flexibility?

No advice. Just wanted to commiserate. My DD is pretty much in the same spot. As soon as she gets to high beam, her BWO goes off the side. In our case, I think it comes from a place of fear (nervous on high beam so she just throws herself back quickly to "get it over with"). She has very sweaty hands/feet and says she feels like her hands are going to slip. Some days, coach is reluctant to let her train other skills bc of the BWO problems -- but then other days she's allowed to "move on" to BHS (low and mid beams only at this point), FWO, etc. Coaches are not being mean about it... but all parties involved are more than a little frustrated. I, for one, am having a VERY hard time biting my tongue!!!

The whole thing with optionals is that it can be tailored to the athlete. But some gym expect certain skills. Not cool the coach is belittling instead of helping solve the problem. How is her backwalkover on floor? How is her shoulder and leg flexibility?
Its beautiful! That is what makes it soooo frustrating! She has never liked beam so she rushes to get it over with. Add the nerves of comp and forget it.....
No advice. Just wanted to commiserate. My DD is pretty much in the same spot. As soon as she gets to high beam, her BWO goes off the side. In our case, I think it comes from a place of fear (nervous on high beam so she just throws herself back quickly to "get it over with"). She has very sweaty hands/feet and says she feels like her hands are going to slip. Some days, coach is reluctant to let her train other skills bc of the BWO problems -- but then other days she's allowed to "move on" to BHS (low and mid beams only at this point), FWO, etc. Coaches are not being mean about it... but all parties involved are more than a little frustrated. I, for one, am having a VERY hard time biting my tongue!!!

Several of our level 7 and 8 girls compete cartwheel round-off connection and score well (2 were state beam champs) and one team girl does a front handspring front walkover connection (again state champ). My DD did handstand backhand spring because she couldn't get her back walkover consistent after being out injured for 7 months (it scored okay but not great). Unless it's a gym requirement there are other options. Like someone said above be careful of too many back walk overs as they can be tough on the back.
I could mention to coach but a level 9 had a complete backwards block for over a year, floor and beam so I do not think the coach wants to let her give up on the backwards skill since she will definitely need later. She is going to have her do a bridge kickover to bhs....wish us luck.

There are many combinations that fulfill the requirement for level 7 is it a gym requirement for BWO BHS? Lots of kids struggle with BWO mostly due to lack of flexibility or fear or some combo of the two. It's a skill best done slowly and that's scary!
I have tried soooo many times that if she slowed it down she would not have an issue. She can go to a handstand and do a controlled split but that bwo.....

BWO on beam is off the table for my kiddo b/c she goes crooked/sideways 75% of the time. if she can do bhs/bhs, that is what she should do. i know that on the other thread it seems they came up with an alternative series for her. but can she do bhs/bhs? it's absolutely allowed for lvl 7.

Reactions: sce

this is my kid. super sweaty and she loads up on chalk for beam. she has a little chalk bucket she carries around in the gym. mine skipped the BWO completely and just did a BHS to score out of 5 and then competed all last year in lvl 6 with a single BHS. she's working to do a bhs/bhs series. she can do it on low beam but super nervous on high beam. we'll see if she gets it.

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back