Does anyone know of new outbreaks at gyms?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Our government’s line is specifically that children are statistically less likely to transmit it. And when they do it requires longer and closer exposure - ie, is more likely to happen at home.

As I said, I am sceptical but that is definitely the line they are trying to sell, in a separate message to also selling ‘kids don’t get as sick anyway’.

I think one of the misconceptions is that kids don't get sick. I live in NYC, and here there's been a lot of cases of a Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children caused by COVID-19. This affects anyone under age 21 (even healthy kids with no underlying conditions!) and it can be very deadly!

It’s a percentages thing of course. In Australia we have had far less cases, and we have a far smaller population so we have seen very, very few cases in any young people.And no young people have died. In total I believe 1 person in their 40’s has died and 2 in the 50’s. No one else under 60 has died.

In my State we are allowed to have fairly large numbers in gyms now. The rule is you need 4 square M of space for every person in the building. So we can have well over 100 people in the gym, and we do have up to 100 at a time.

We are also no longer required to do social distancing inside the gym. Contact sports have resumed, and no social distancing is required in the field of play for any sport. For gymnastics clubs we have been told that is our entire gymnastics area. So spectators are required to social distance but not the participants.

We currently only have 1 active case in the entire state, and we have not had any new cases in many, many weeks.

It’s a percentages thing of course. In Australia we have had far less cases, and we have a far smaller population so we have seen very, very few cases in any young people.And no young people have died. In total I believe 1 person in their 40’s has died and 2 in the 50’s. No one else under 60 has died.

In my State we are allowed to have fairly large numbers in gyms now. The rule is you need 4 square M of space for every person in the building. So we can have well over 100 people in the gym, and we do have up to 100 at a time.

We are also no longer required to do social distancing inside the gym. Contact sports have resumed, and no social distancing is required in the field of play for any sport. For gymnastics clubs we have been told that is our entire gymnastics area. So spectators are required to social distance but not the participants.

We currently only have 1 active case in the entire state, and we have not had any new cases in many, many weeks.
The US is no where near being in that position. We need to continue to take care or the virus will just continue to take over.

That’s terrible. Sorry to hear. Where are you located? We are bound to have more kids than 50 once the summer gets rolling.
We are one of the Southern states where there has been a pretty significant resurgence. We were also one of the states with a higher per capita rate in the first place. I was just curious to hear how other gyms are handling groupings. I guess if there are 50+ kids in the gym at a time, managing group size gets hard.

We are one of the Southern states where there has been a pretty significant resurgence. We were also one of the states with a higher per capita rate in the first place. I was just curious to hear how other gyms are handling groupings. I guess if there are 50+ kids in the gym at a time, managing group size gets hard.
I agree. I was just asking where because the gym square footage varies so much when you get into urban areas. We are in NYC where the gyms tend to be much smaller and so it is harder to accommodate larger groups. Also, rent tends to astronomical so gyms have a harder time running with few kids.

I agree. I was just asking where because the gym square footage varies so much when you get into urban areas. We are in NYC where the gyms tend to be much smaller and so it is harder to accommodate larger groups. Also, rent tends to astronomical so gyms have a harder time running with few kids.
I cannot even imagine the rent in your area!! Yes, we do not live in the right state for gymnastics, so our options here are very limited. We kind of have the same issue with smaller gyms square footage wise. The issue here isn't so much urban versus rural as it is a total lack of gymnastics resources for some reason. There just aren't many coaches in our state, and our state isn't a draw for new coaches either. People have tried to get programs off the ground here, and it just never seems to work. So our gym needs more kids in the gym to keep our program afloat.

I think one of the misconceptions is that kids don't get sick. I live in NYC, and here there's been a lot of cases of a Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children caused by COVID-19. This affects anyone under age 21 (even healthy kids with no underlying conditions!) and it can be very deadly!
What do you mean by a lot. And how many of those cases resulted in death.

What do you mean by a lot. And how many of those cases resulted in death.
Well, in NYC, I think at one point in May there were at least 89 cases. I understand that is not a high number population wise, but I'm sure the families of the children feel differently. Don't know how many of those resulted in death. I have a child with an autoimmune disease, so while it appears to be rare, it still raised concern for me.

Here is a link I just found: https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/childhood-inflammatory-disease-related-covid-19

Well, in NYC, I think at one point in May there were at least 89 cases. I understand that is not a high number population wise, but I'm sure the families of the children feel differently. Don't know how many of those resulted in death. I have a child with an autoimmune disease, so while it appears to be rare, it still raised concern for me.

Here is a link I just found: https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/childhood-inflammatory-disease-related-covid-19

It is interesting to me that we have heard very little about this since May when all the media was hyping it. It looked like at the time that possibly a new mutation was causing this and then the reporting of it just disappeared. I had been keeping some tabs on it b/c I work with kiddos who could be affected by this (and covid in general). Outside of NY, there were very few cases of the childhood inflammatory response reported. Just very strange. No more reports about whether or not they felt it as linked to covid either.

It is interesting to me that we have heard very little about this since May when all the media was hyping it. It looked like at the time that possibly a new mutation was causing this and then the reporting of it just disappeared. I had been keeping some tabs on it b/c I work with kiddos who could be affected by this (and covid in general). Outside of NY, there were very few cases of the childhood inflammatory response reported. Just very strange. No more reports about whether or not they felt it as linked to covid either.
I got curious and did some searching:
https://www.idse.net/Covid-19/Article/07-20/Children-the-Latest-Victims-of-nobr-COVID-19-nobr-/58941

FTA: The timing of their presentation was unusual, explained Stanford T. Shulman, MD, a professor of pediatrics in infectious diseases at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, in Chicago. “These patients are showing up in Northern Italy, London, Spain, France and now on the East Coast of the United States about a month or so after the peak of the COVID cases that are being seen in adults,” he said.

So it seems likely that the spiking cases over the past two weeks or so won't show up as severe children's cases for another 2-4 weeks. And apparently many of the children who get it were asymptomatic or very mild cases previously, based on observations in CT.

Yes. Only 231 of which 2 resulted in death in NYS. That’s 0.06% of all the positive cases. Less then 1/10 of a percent. And we do t know how many had comorbidities. Much much lower if you look at total population. Any disease/death is tragic and this is a very rare syndrome.

It is interesting to me that we have heard very little about this since May when all the media was hyping it.

The media was hyping it is the operative word... Yes it’s serious and it is very rare. Especially in children with no pre existing conditions.

The media was hyping it is the operative word... Yes it’s serious and it is very rare. Especially in children with no pre existing conditions.
Found the link. 40 of 48 had pre existing conditions

Found the link. 40 of 48 had pre existing conditions
But the children in this study were diagnosed with Covid-19, not the MIS-C that is ALSO rare, but an additional issue.

But the children in this study were diagnosed with Covid-19, not the MIS-C that is ALSO rare, but an additional issue.
Yes.... and severe illness and death from syndrome and Covid, “exceedingly rare“,

1 in 1000, 0.1%

i dislike very much that people start to think of "comorbidites" as if these people just have to fend for themselves so everyone else could just go on as usual instead of taking care of the people with "comorbidities" f.e. by not doing unecessary acitivies like having 100 kids in 1 room for recreation or sport while still a pandemic is going strong. this virus makes it very clear that your own health depends on the health of everyone else and "each one as he or she likes" just does not work.

i dislike very much that people start to think of "comorbidites" as if these people just have to fend for themselves so everyone else could just go on as usual instead of taking care of the people with "comorbidities" f.e. by not doing unecessary acitivies like having 100 kids in 1 room for recreation or sport while still a pandemic is going strong. this virus makes it very clear that your own health depends on the health of everyone else and "each one as he or she likes" just does not work.

I totally agree. I also dislike the implication that being in a high-risk category is always the result of lifestyle choices and that high-risk people deserve their fate. Lifestyle choices do not cause autoimmune diseases, asthma (and before anyone goes on the attack, yes, some experts do consider asthma a risk factor), or many other risk factors for severe COVID-19 disease. Many people with risk factors, including me, live extremely healthy lifestyles. Age isn’t a personal failing either. People with risk factors don’t deserve to die any more than those who are young and fortunate enough not to have underlying health conditions.

Where was it any where implied that folks with pre-existing conditions/comorbidities deserved their fate or was due to a lifestyle choice.

It.Was.Not.

And where was it said he or she as they like.

It.Was.Not.

They world has changed. Mitigation is going to be on going for a long time.

Don’t put judgement where there was none.

And the fact remains, if someone is a high risk they might need to make different choices on what they are going to do and where. That might mean giving up things, postponing things or even a career change.

You take care of at risk people by limiting their contacts and exposure.

What you don’t do is tell say 85-90 people (of the 100 mentioned above) who are not at risk they too must limit their contact for 10-15 that need to.

My sister is very high risk, as is my aunt and elderly inlaws. We protect them. The people who are not at risk shouldn’t have to stay in indefinitely because others need to be careful.

Lets also not discount lives lost due to the toll on mental health, people’s livelihoods, domestic abuse.

Where was it any where implied that folks with pre-existing conditions/comorbidities deserved their fate or was due to a lifestyle choice.

It.Was.Not.

And where was it said he or she as they like.

It.Was.Not.

They world has changed. Mitigation is going to be on going for a long time.

Don’t put judgement where there was none.

And the fact remains, if someone is a high risk they might need to make different choices on what they are going to do and where. That might mean giving up things, postponing things or even a career change.

You take care of at risk people by limiting their contacts and exposure.

What you don’t do is tell say 85-90 people (of the 100 mentioned above) who are not at risk they too must limit their contact for 10-15 that need to.

My sister is very high risk, as is my aunt and elderly inlaws. We protect them. The people who are not at risk shouldn’t have to stay in indefinitely because others need to be careful.

Lets also not discount lives lost due to the toll on mental health, people’s livelihoods, domestic abuse.

Since the beginning of the pandemic, much of the media coverage and many statements by government officials have minimized the threat of the disease by declaring that "young, healthy" people are not at risk. There is an undeniable undercurrent of judgment in these statements against those who are not "young" and "healthy."

The attitude that at-risk people must lock themselves up indefinitely so that "young, healthy" people can congregate at bars, concerts, and shopping malls while the virus runs rampant is an example of the dark side of American individualism. As things stand today, my child and family will remain virtual prisoners in our home for the next year or two. If simple, low-cost, low-effort, common-sense safety measures such ask mandatory mask-wearing in public were implemented, my child could go to school and the gym. The prevailing attitude prioritizes the "right" to gallivant about without a mask above my child's right to an education.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back