Does anyone know of new outbreaks at gyms?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Tulip811

Proud Parent
Our gym is reinstating practices this week. I'm nervous about sending dd. Wondering if there's been any known gym transmissions. FWIW we're in an urban area with high COVID numbers.

Reactions: RNH
Our gym is reinstating practices this week. I'm nervous about sending dd. Wondering if there's been any known gym transmissions. FWIW we're in an urban area with high COVID numbers.

Not specifically about gymnastics, but these resources can help guide your decision-making:

Reactions: RNH
We have been back for going on the 4th week and knock on wood nothing..lets hope it stays that way! kids start back to school next month in our area too!

New? Did any gyms have outbreaks?

I think the intent is that it would be a new outbreak in teh community that would be at a gym.

Haven't heard of any at gymnastics facilities yet... but that doesn't mean it won't happen.

Oh, it will happen. But hopefully with stable groups, etc, they will be able to contact trace and contain it that way.

I was super sceptical about the ‘kids don’t pass it on easily’ line our government is feeding us.

But schools went back nearly a month ago in my state of Australia. There are some precautions in place, but they do not include masking or making kids in a class socially distance from each other.

When someone gets diagnosed with covid the school shuts for a day for contact tracing and cleaning and anyone designated as a close contact (generally a child’s class and teachers) has to self isolate for two weeks.

Since reopening, four children in the state have been diagnosed with covid and attended school while infectious, and the quarantine period for their contacts has now ended. None of the original kids got it at school. A couple of hundred people (across four schools) had to go into isolation but in each case, fourteen days later none of the contacts had come down with covid. This was the pattern with school cases before our shutdown too.

Anyway my point - hundreds of people exposed to infectious kids, none caught it, kids or staff. It is still early days, but we have another few kid cases across the country right now, so it will be interesting to see if this continues to be the pattern but it is looking positive.

Our, out of city, schools opened a month ago. There was one outbreak in one school. No child got anything but mild symptoms. Schools are at 50% capacity and with social distancing etc.

It will happen when gyms open. I would be more concerned about elderly coaches, than kids.

Our gym is very close to the epicenter of the original US Outbreak. Community transmission was most likely occurring by early February. State closed gyms mid March. No cases in gymnasts or coaches in my state traced to gyms. And this was prior to social distancing directives and all the precautions we have in place now. I was told 2 coaches (related to each other) got covid, but were diagnosed past the time they would have been infected at the gym. So with distancing in place, I think the chance of an outbreak at a gym is very low.

I was super sceptical about the ‘kids don’t pass it on easily’ line our government is feeding us.

Its not that kids don’t spread it. It’s that they don’t get as sick.,

Anyway my point - hundreds of people exposed to infectious kids, none caught it, kids or staff. It is still early days, but we have another few kid cases across the country right now, so it will be interesting to see if this continues to be the pattern but it is looking positive.

I think this spreads very much like all cold and flu virusee.

Masks, lots of hand washing and cleaning of work areas (that includes school and gyms, stores etc). Direct work areas. No need to sterilize upper walls and ceilings. The virus can‘t walk. And folks who are sick stay home.

Its not that kids don’t spread it. It’s that they don’t get as sick.,

Our government’s line is specifically that children are statistically less likely to transmit it. And when they do it requires longer and closer exposure - ie, is more likely to happen at home.

As I said, I am sceptical but that is definitely the line they are trying to sell, in a separate message to also selling ‘kids don’t get as sick anyway’.

It will happen when gyms open. I would be more concerned about elderly coaches, than kids.

And all of those kids have adults at home, many of whom are high-risk. The whole “let’s send all the kids back to school and sports because even if they do catch it, they won’t die” argument that we are hearing locally ignores the fact that kids live with, and are taught by, adults. A big reason we are trying to protect our daughter from the virus is that we don’t want her to pass it along to us and end up an orphan.

And all of those kids have adults at home, many of whom are high-risk. The whole “let’s send all the kids back to school and sports because even if they do catch it, they won’t die” argument that we are hearing locally ignores the fact that kids live with, and are taught by, adults. A big reason we are trying to protect our daughter from the virus is that we don’t want her to pass it along to us and end up an orphan.

Here going back to school was optional. Online options were still maintained. This allowed families with high risk family members to choose for themselves. Our high risk staff work from home, including our principal and school secretary. Within the school there are also many restrictions, including on the school bus.

Being high risk parents must bring all kinds of stresses to your life, not easy when other kids can go back to their daily lives earlier.

Everyone is free to do what is best for them. If you don’t feel,comfortable sending your kid to school, you can homeschool.

The world cant stay home.

Most people survive. Seriously they do. Case fatality rate is at 5.5 % and dropping. Very low risk to actually get the disease with proper mitigation.

I was wondering the same after the news of the college programs having some issues.

Reactions: sce
Everyone is free to do what is best for them. If you don’t feel,comfortable sending your kid to school, you can homeschool.

The world cant stay home.

Most people survive. Seriously they do. Case fatality rate is at 5.5 % and dropping. Very low risk to actually get the disease with proper mitigation.

A case fatality rate of 5.5% is astronomically high.

Proper mitigation includes 100% usage of masks and avoidance of indoor group activities and close person-to-person contact. None of this is compatible with gymnastics training.

Schools should be offering an on-line option, not forcing parents to homeschool with no support. This would have the added benefit of reducing classroom occupancy.

The 'kids are less likely to spread Covid' line is coming from some experts in Europe. I have seen multiple interviews with doctors in Europe where they have said this. This article was on MSN

Who knows if it's true because information is changing all of the time but it's been reported in several different places. This study focused on kids under 10 and my gymnast is 14. I am worried that gym really isn't that safe if a kid comes in with it. The girls are not fully social distancing all of the time. At the moment, I am still letting my daughter go because she needs the outlet but it is a concern.

peopel do survive covid19 mostly, that's true.
it is also true that even at least half of the asymptomatic cases do have lung damage and probably also heart, liver etc. damage since this is an systemic infection not a respritatory one. and most of them do not even know it since they feel fine at least till they try to do sports and the like.
there are also about 10 percent or so of the infected who are "long haulers" meaning they are sick not for 14 days or three weeks but for up to 100 days and counting. these are "mild cases". they experience a lot of different symptoms, many go to the er several times (at least in places like germany where you do not have to pay as much as in the us for great medical care) and get send back home.
there are also real lucky ones with 2 or 3 weeks of sickness and that's it but they often report symptoms way worse than just the flu and flu is already bad.
and let's do not forget that of 20 people infected 4 (20 %) do end up in hospital, 1 of them goes on life support, 1% die.

i had covid in early march (tested positiv, got tested with mild symtpoms since germany tests early and i am teacher so they needed to know if i was sick). 2 days of the worst headache i ever had. i guess electric schocks feel like this? i vomited two times because of the pain. over the counter medicine did not work. at all. i googled "stroke" during these hours. got it on friday, was okay sunday evening, so went to work on monday, little bit of a sore throat, nothing real. on saturday i went for a run, was fine, on sunday got bad back pain all of a sudden, could not sleep that night because of it, called in sick on monday because i got a low fever (37.7 degree celsius) and couldn't walk anyway because of the back pain. my headteacher made me call the authorities to get tested, i did that and got tested on thursday (back pain got better from day to day, fever went away on thursday), on saturday they called me and told me i tested positive for covid and will be in quarantine for 14 days. base line: this was a very good outcome for me and a really mild case. i was very, verym, very lucky. still won't go back to these headaches for anything ever.

we had some cases at my school (aorund 850 pupils, 70 teachers, year 5 to 13 so age 9 to 19) back in march before they closed the schools for several weeks. one of them (got infected in italy on holidays not at school) was one of "my kids", a year 6 student. i had to send her home during lessons because she became sick very suddenly. let's just say i have never in 10 years of teaching ever send a kid home (and this happens often, about twice a month or so) that sick. she was bawling, red eyes, vomiting, bad stomach pain. tested positive a few days later. protect your kids.

peopel do survive covid19 mostly, that's true.
it is also true that even at least half of the asymptomatic cases do have lung damage and probably also heart, liver etc. damage since this is an systemic infection not a respritatory one. and most of them do not even know it since they feel fine at least till they try to do sports and the like.
there are also about 10 percent or so of the infected who are "long haulers" meaning they are sick not for 14 days or three weeks but for up to 100 days and counting. these are "mild cases". they experience a lot of different symptoms, many go to the er several times (at least in places like germany where you do not have to pay as much as in the us for great medical care) and get send back home.
there are also real lucky ones with 2 or 3 weeks of sickness and that's it but they often report symptoms way worse than just the flu and flu is already bad.
and let's do not forget that of 20 people infected 4 (20 %) do end up in hospital, 1 of them goes on life support, 1% die.

i had covid in early march (tested positiv, got tested with mild symtpoms since germany tests early and i am teacher so they needed to know if i was sick). 2 days of the worst headache i ever had. i guess electric schocks feel like this? i vomited two times because of the pain. over the counter medicine did not work. at all. i googled "stroke" during these hours. got it on friday, was okay sunday evening, so went to work on monday, little bit of a sore throat, nothing real. on saturday i went for a run, was fine, on sunday got bad back pain all of a sudden, could not sleep that night because of it, called in sick on monday because i got a low fever (37.7 degree celsius) and couldn't walk anyway because of the back pain. my headteacher made me call the authorities to get tested, i did that and got tested on thursday (back pain got better from day to day, fever went away on thursday), on saturday they called me and told me i tested positive for covid and will be in quarantine for 14 days. base line: this was a very good outcome for me and a really mild case. i was very, verym, very lucky. still won't go back to these headaches for anything ever.

we had some cases at my school (aorund 850 pupils, 70 teachers, year 5 to 13 so age 9 to 19) back in march before they closed the schools for several weeks. one of them (got infected in italy on holidays not at school) was one of "my kids", a year 6 student. i had to send her home during lessons because she became sick very suddenly. let's just say i have never in 10 years of teaching ever send a kid home (and this happens often, about twice a month or so) that sick. she was bawling, red eyes, vomiting, bad stomach pain. tested positive a few days later. protect your kids.
Sorry for your suffering and thank you for sharing. I hope you and your community can heal from all of that trauma.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back