Does anyone know of new outbreaks at gyms?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

thanks! no trauma here. as is said i was really lucky and most of germany (excuding perhaps the town of heinsberg) never experienced anything like italy or ny or madrid or france. the kid mentioned so sick is back at school now every other week like all kids here (50% of all the classes are still done online), we do 50% classes for social distancing and make them wear masks during lesson and on school grounds (not all schools do that here, we decided to do it, feels safer). she is totally fine or so she says and acts and don't think she is traumtized but of course i don't know that for sure. i personally would just recommend to think really hard if whatever you are planing to do which is not totally necessary is really worth the risk to you and yours. and also think of all the people that could get infected by you or your kid asuming you go lucky and do not suffer greatly like some (! not all) infected people do. this virus is like the lottery, you never know what it will or won't do to you.

Proper mitigation includes 100% usage of masks and avoidance of indoor group activities and close person-to-person contact. None of this is compatible with gymnastics training.

Mitigation includes, masks for when you can’t social distance, lots of hand washing, cleaning work/play areas. Good ventilation ( as an aside gyms are very large indoor spaces with a lower ratio of people to space). Stay home when sick or if you have a close exposure to a known Covid positive case. Testing and contact tracing is in place.

2 Missouri hairstylists worked for a time Covid positive. Contact tracing was done on the 141 clients in the shop at the time they were working. Shop has mitigation including masks for all. No client tested positive.

This is not about getting to 0 cases. If that’s the expectation its very likely you will be sheltering in place forever. It was about slowing the spread and not overwhelming hospitals.

The world can’t stop forever. And I get everyone has different levels of risk and comfort. Folks need to do what’s best for themselves and their families. No one is going to force anyone out of their homes and into spaces they aren’t comfortable with. But those that are comfortable getting out need to get out.

Our family has accepted masks and sanitizing is going to in our future for some time to come. We have all kinds of face coverings, in all colors, fav plays, sports teams..... We are careful not to spend time with the vulnerable in our life. We didn’t see my in-laws until it was nice enough to hang outside.

We are in no rush to head out to very enclosed spaces with lots of pepole. It’s going to be quite a while before we fly anywhere. We are keeping our world small. But not closed.

Been to work in the hospital with Covid cases The whole time. We are down to 2. Masks and things like hand sanitizer and work space cleaning works..... other wise nearly all employees of hospitals would of gotten sick. That is not the case.

I’m very comfortable sending my kid back to gym. Get together with friends. I’d have no problem sending her to full on school, mask ready, lots of sanitizer in the back pack.

What happened in early March is not where we are at today.

A bunch of folks going about their business because they ”only had a cold”

It was a new virus. Takes time to ramp up testing on a new virus. Testing is no longer a problem. PPE was an issue that is now resolved. There are now mask racks in Target- pick your color please. Disposable masks and sanitizer in bins at grocery checkouts. Around here restaurants opening for outside dining. I know folks bringing their own silverware.

Really I respect people who want to stay in. No judgement at all. But every one shouldn’t have to.,

thanks! no trauma here. as is said i was really lucky and most of germany (excuding perhaps the town of heinsberg) never experienced anything like italy or ny or madrid or france. the kid mentioned so sick is back at school now every other week like all kids here (50% of all the classes are still done online), we do 50% classes for social distancing and make them wear masks during lesson and on school grounds (not all schools do that here, we decided to do it, feels safer). she is totally fine or so she says and acts and don't think she is traumtized but of course i don't know that for sure. i personally would just recommend to think really hard if whatever you are planing to do which is not totally necessary is really worth the risk to you and yours. and also think of all the people that could get infected by you or your kid asuming you go lucky and do not suffer greatly like some (! not all) infected people do. this virus is like the lottery, you never know what it will or won't do to you.
I live in NYC. It has been brutal for some. Very sad. I hear your advice and appreciate it.

Not specifically about gymnastics, but these resources can help guide your decision-making:

Those articles are super helpful. What are people doing with kids who will not go back into the gym (because of all of the issues mentioned in the articles) but still want to train? Our gym is stopping zoom training on June 25th. My DD wants to continue in the Fall (if all is well) and would like to train some sort of gymnastics over the summer. Are there any online options still? Thanks everyone.

Those articles are super helpful. What are people doing with kids who will not go back into the gym (because of all of the issues mentioned in the articles) but still want to train? Our gym is stopping zoom training on June 25th. My DD wants to continue in the Fall (if all is well) and would like to train some sort of gymnastics over the summer. Are there any online options still? Thanks everyone.

Gotham Gymnastics is running a free Quaranteam through their app. My DD did their daily conditioning and sometimes she still does it. They also have all of their previous workouts on YouTube.

Gotham Gymnastics is running a free Quaranteam through their app. My DD did their daily conditioning and sometimes she still does it. They also have all of their previous workouts on YouTube.
Yes, thank you. Those are our old coaches and we think those are great. My DD did those for a while. I was looking for something live and/or more gymnastics skills oriented.

And all of those kids have adults at home, many of whom are high-risk. The whole “let’s send all the kids back to school and sports because even if they do catch it, they won’t die” argument that we are hearing locally ignores the fact that kids live with, and are taught by, adults. A big reason we are trying to protect our daughter from the virus is that we don’t want her to pass it along to us and end up an orphan.
We’ve been open for 4 weeks, classes for 2 weeks, and no new cases.

I don’t think there is an easy answer in the current situation. If we don’t shutdown, at risk people will die. If we don’t open back up, some people, especially small business owners, could lose everything, and I imagine the country could see a spike in suicide rates. Both are serious problems.

My DD’s gym owners are doing everything they can to stay open. If they make it, they risk losing their business, which would set them back 20 years financially, and they would likely lose their home. They have young children to take care of.

My understanding is that this was never about eradicating the virus, but rather slowing its spread. In states where the curve has been flattened, I think they need to start opening up with precautions in place. Even if they waited for a vaccine, my guess is half the country wouldn’t take it so it won’t really be effective at countering the virus. If this is virus is as contagious as claimed, then my family will eventually get it, whether it’s from the gym or by me bringing it home from the grocery store. As long as the gym is taking safety precautions, which they are, then I have no hesitation in sending her back. But life can’t stop forever.

I will add that I understand that not everyone is able or comfortable to return, and that’s fine. Everyone needs to make the decision that is best for their family. For a low risk family like mine, we are resuming normal activity while hand washing, wearing masks, and social distancing in public and following the state phase guidelines.

I think it's important to remember that not every place is in the same "place" if you will with the virus. Our community is not doing well, at all. We are in the top 5 of cases per capita and our rate is growing, not declining or flat lining. I do not feel comfortable going out, even with masks and using hand sanitizer and washing. Because of the rate of growth here I cannot trust that other people are doing what they should to mitigate. Sadly, this includes sending dd back to gym. It's a crappy position to be in, but I stand by it.

I think it's important to remember that not every place is in the same "place" if you will with the virus. Our community is not doing well, at all. We are in the top 5 of cases per capita and our rate is growing, not declining or flat lining. I do not feel comfortable going out, even with masks and using hand sanitizer and washing. Because of the rate of growth here I cannot trust that other people are doing what they should to mitigate. Sadly, this includes sending dd back to gym. It's a crappy position to be in, but I stand by it.
I totally understand. Do what you think is best for you and your family.

My personal concern is - what happens to these people who recovered later in their life? We have Chicken Pox, Measles and Mumps which all potentially have nasty side effects after people have recovered, sometimes many years later. Personally I'd rather not catch it and be one of the examples later on. I really feel for those who live in places where it seems to be rampant.

There is a thread on gym FB group that I am on and there are people reporting positive covid cases at gyms. Now, so far in all reports it's one person who has tested positive (coach or gymnast). No one on this thread has reported a true outbreak where multiple girls on a team picked it up and the source was the gym. So, if a gymnast tests positive, it doesn't mean she picked it up at the gym. We don't know what her contacts are outside the gym. She could have picked it up from a family member, social event, etc.

Reactions: sce
Interesting. I actually see that as a good thing (obviously not good that those individuals got COVID). But, if there are individuals from a gym WITHOUT broader spread (assuming others are getting tested), then that is great! That means those gyms are likely using effective protocols.
We have a "protocol meeting" over zoom tonight (for gymnasts and parents). First in person practice will be tomorrow!

I don't know if I think it's good news yet. The incubation period is so long. It may be too early to tell. Someone needs to post the same question to the group 2 weeks from now and see what we learn :) It would be great if the protocols are working.

I don't know if I think it's good news yet. The incubation period is so long. It may be too early to tell. Someone needs to post the same question to the group 2 weeks from now and see what we learn :) It would be great if the protocols are working.
Agreed. It is good that we have this community to keep each other posted.

\

Some gyms have been back for 6-8 weeks. It does show some data for sure. But that data is a moving target based on a million variables.

We are in our 6th week back and have not had any outbreaks or issues with the reopening. There are strict procedures and cleaning that is done as well. Check with your gym to see what their plans and procedures are for reopening!

Reactions: sce
This article might be relevant to this topic. It is about fitness gyms rather than gymnastics gyms, but the components are the same - significant exercise indoors. If anything, gymnastics gyms tend to have fewer adults and (in Australia at least) higher ceilings and more natural ventilation) so they should be safer again.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back