Parents Does anyone know the new level 2 beam routine for August 2013?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

T

tennesseesunshine

My DD is in a very large group and doesn't get help like she needs. She only goes 1 day a week and can't get the routine down. They only practice beam about 20 minutes.

This might help:
http://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/Junior Olympics/compulsory/13comp_FXBBdif_L1_2.pdf

It tells the difference between Level 1 and Level 2 Floor and Beam routines.
It doesn't explain it fully, but if the coaches have worked on it at all, she might be able to figure it out from there. Good luck.
NO, her coach is 17yrs. old and doesnt care if they learn anything or not. Coach (17yr ) just their for a pay check. She doesn't get a real coach until she get in the new level 3. Very small gym. If you complain, your dd will get the heat from it. So if anyone else can tell me step by step, that would be great. My dd told me again last night " I really want to be good, but I don't know what I'm doing on the beam" She is 7.

Are they actually going to be COMPETING level 2? - If they are competing, at the first meet, everyone will be still figuring it out. Keep an eye on the other gyms as they are on beam. If a gym seems to have high scores, record one of the routines and use that as a more thorough guide

I can ask to look at the book on Tuesday and write down what she has to do. We don't compete until Level 3, which is why I don't know the poses for sure... but the order is what I posted previously... From info on the USAG website, here is my best guess .

Leg swing mount to straddle sit - from beside the beam, jump to front support and swing a leg over (1/4 turn) and end sitting in a straddle with legs up. Whip the legs down and to the back to end in a push up position (on the balls of the feet, not the toes). Jump to tuck stand (basically hop/ jump the legs under so she is tucked enough to raise her arms and stand up. Relevé Balance (Stand on Tip toes with feet locked/ close together). Take the arabesque leg (the one that will be back in the arabesque) and touch the toes in front, then in back. Then go into the 30º arabesque (not very big), hold for 1 second (think "one-gymnastic"). Touch the toes behind again. Leg swing forward (right leg to at least 45º), bring the foot back to closed position, swing the other leg back to at least 45º and bring back to the closed position. Do a Plié, then go back into relevé. Lunge and lever to touch beam (a fake handstand - the back leg goes up as the hands go down so the fingertips touch the beam). Finish in a lunge. Passé leg balance (stand on 1 foot with the other foot clear up by the knee with the knee forward) 2 seconds (think "one-gymnastic, two-gymnastic"). Step down out of the balance and close bringing the back leg forward, ending in relevé. 1/2 Pivot turn (still in relevé lock). Straight jump (arms straight up, bring them down after landing). Finish (usually means show control after landing and putting arms back up, kind of like saluting). Fish pose (one arm straight out, the other arm bent, touching the inside of the elbow... with the leg on the same side as the bent arm bent back). Step forward and kick into a cartwheel to side handstand (all the way up to vertical). Then land on the floor (keeping hands on the beam through landing).

If you privately msg me your email address, I can send you a video of my DD doing the level 2 beam routine. Sometimes it's easier to see the skills along with the written description.

Here is the Beam routine done first right and then left. These routines are not ready for competition yet so please excuse the flaws. =) The girls are trying very hard.

Ugh. I linked too soon after uploading and now I can't edit to fix the link. Here is the correct link:

I think I did pretty good on my description, lol ... they do the hands for fish a little different... and the straddle started down, but swung up, then back down :)

Thanks for posting the video so we could see it though. Our team doesn't compete that level, so I was basing everything on how old Level 3-4 did the skills.

Are they actually going to be COMPETING level 2? - If they are competing, at the first meet, everyone will be still figuring it out. Keep an eye on the other gyms as they are on beam. If a gym seems to have high scores, record one of the routines and use that as a more thorough guide

I can ask to look at the book on Tuesday and write down what she has to do. We don't compete until Level 3, which is why I don't know the poses for sure... but the order is what I posted previously... From info on the USAG website, here is my best guess .

Leg swing mount to straddle sit - from beside the beam, jump to front support and swing a leg over (1/4 turn) and end sitting in a straddle with legs up. Whip the legs down and to the back to end in a push up position (on the balls of the feet, not the toes). Jump to tuck stand (basically hop/ jump the legs under so she is tucked enough to raise her arms and stand up. Relevé Balance (Stand on Tip toes with feet locked/ close together). Take the arabesque leg (the one that will be back in the arabesque) and touch the toes in front, then in back. Then go into the 30º arabesque (not very big), hold for 1 second (think "one-gymnastic"). Touch the toes behind again. Leg swing forward (right leg to at least 45º), bring the foot back to closed position, swing the other leg back to at least 45º and bring back to the closed position. Do a Plié, then go back into relevé. Lunge and lever to touch beam (a fake handstand - the back leg goes up as the hands go down so the fingertips touch the beam). Finish in a lunge. Passé leg balance (stand on 1 foot with the other foot clear up by the knee with the knee forward) 2 seconds (think "one-gymnastic, two-gymnastic"). Step down out of the balance and close bringing the back leg forward, ending in relevé. 1/2 Pivot turn (still in relevé lock). Straight jump (arms straight up, bring them down after landing). Finish (usually means show control after landing and putting arms back up, kind of like saluting). Fish pose (one arm straight out, the other arm bent, touching the inside of the elbow... with the leg on the same side as the bent arm bent back). Step forward and kick into a cartwheel to side handstand (all the way up to vertical). Then land on the floor (keeping hands on the beam through landing).
Thank you so much for taking the time to type all that. Very helpful. My daughter started gymnastic at 4 1/2 was competing in level 3 at 5 1/2, then quit until her resently. They put her right back in level 3 again after a year and 1/2 off, but after all the changes.....backed her up to level 2, very well needed. She was pretty rusty.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back