Does smiling really matter?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My dd doesn't smile during her routine and I don't think it would fit the routine if she did. She has slower/classical music but with a strong sound and a smile would seem out of place during the routine.

She does smile though when she salutes the judges at the beginning and the end though! :D

It really hasn't affected her scores either. She usually scored in low-to-mid-9's so I guess it works for her. She will be using the same music/routine this yr for level 8, let's hope the same holds true.

smiling

All children are natural actors, but some are more prone to smiling than others.

My gymnasts are told to play to the audience, play to the judges, and enjoy what they are doing.

Saying that, some gymnasts do not feel comfortable smiling during a routine but i believe it should be emphasized that you smile at the beginning when you present and at the end when you TA DA.

Don

I don't think smiling should make a difference in a gymnast's score

If they do smile, that's fine, but if they don't want to smile, I don't see how making them would make them feel any more comfortable

this is just from a fan's perspective, and a lover of the Soviets...

Smiling is deffinatly needed and a great asset to a routine. However just make sure to keep it real. Ive watched numerous floor routines where a girl smiled the whole entire time,it looked like she practiced in the mirror and the judge kind of looked annoyed by it. So just make sure your smile is real and not just to get a better score.

Smiling makes a difference. If you're trying to smile, you really don't want to be smiling at the floor. As a result, the gymnast may pick her head up. Now, if your head is down during your floor routine YOU CAN GET A DEDUCTION IN DANCE OR OVERALL COMPOSITION!!! So, if your smiling with your head up, your presentation looks better and you may not lose tenths in artistry or compostion. In my opinion, smiling makes me feel more relaxed. When you're on the floor and something happened, you can't change it. It's done. Smile and you may feel more relaxed, and if you're relaxed, it shows and it makes you look better during your routine. Sometimes I even smile on beam, it's such a nerve-wracking event that it calms me down. I don't know if it makes a difference in the scoring, but a judge WANTS to see a girl having fun than a girl who is forced to do the sport. BUT...DON'T MAKE IT CHEESY!!! I always want to be like, please stop that, I really don't think the judges like it. A girl I know in her old beam routine used to wink, and honestly, I think the judges just rolled their eyes. Make it real and have a good time, and DON'T FORGET TO SMILE!

It seems to me like it would depend on the music and the style of the routine. Of course the girls should smile when they salute at the beginning and at the end. But a routine with more serious or intense music would come across as silly if the girl was grinning the whole time. Likewise, a serious, intense expression during a be-boppy, high spirited routine wouldn't be right either.

It's impossible for me to not smile. Ever. I got my proofs back from my senior pictures and even the ones I was supposed to be trying to look serious on, I had a slight smile. Good thing I have a fun floor routine!

Why wouldn't you smile during your beam routine? That's kind of a silly statement. Surely Omelianchik's beam performances were that much more fun to watch because SHE looked like she was having fun.

I think that it is important - I am trying to help my DD with this - she is pretty shy and every time she finishes her floor routine (this only happens on floor because she ends up out in the middle of it and has to walk all the way off) She salutes the judges and then covers her mouth w/her hands and walks off as fast as she can.

I asked her why she does that and she said "I don't want the judges to see my smile" :eek:

any suggestions ?

I think that it is important - I am trying to help my DD with this - she is pretty shy and every time she finishes her floor routine (this only happens on floor because she ends up out in the middle of it and has to walk all the way off) She salutes the judges and then covers her mouth w/her hands and walks off as fast as she can.

I asked her why she does that and she said "I don't want the judges to see my smile" :eek:

any suggestions ?

I would ask her why she doesn't want the judges to know that she had fun and was pleased with her performance.

Defenitly smile. (oops, spelt that wrong :p). If you look happier, or feel happier you have more energy, and you score better. Look at Shawn Johnson. With her floor routine, always smiling and she does well. When I smile, even if its forced at first, hearing the crowd turns it into a genuine smile. :D:D:D

I also wonder why she doesn't want the judges to see her smile? For many gymnasts, judges are serious, powerful people dressed in formal outfits who don't look like they know how to have fun. Perhaps it's the formalness that's making her nervous. It would be good to remind her that judges are normal people who love the sport and want to continue to stay involved and be role models. We're there to see good gymnastics (and note that good does not necessarily mean difficult) and want to see the gymnasts succeed. Has she ever met and talked to a judge? Maybe talking to a judge and getting some positive feedback on her routines would help her be more comfortable.

its the same for dance.

you may do something completely wrong and smile
or perfect and not smile. the on that smiles actually gets more marks.

smiling shows people that you enjoy it and want to be their !!

:)I wouldnt think ifI you didnt it wouldnt deduct from your score but it helps.

My dd does not smile she has her serious face on when she does her routines.She also now rides in horse shows and no smiles there either.The weird thing is the rest of the time she is a clown always doing stuff to make people laugh.

ok

ok it is simpal smile thats waht you have to do cus if your not smiling then you dont macke the rooteen pop or dazil so a smile dos bothe:floor:see the smile loocks licke the smiley face is having fun.......
pop dazzle flip high:D

Does that mean that judges could/ would deduct for not smiling???

Way back when I was in level 6, I remember my coach saying that in your routine you have .3 for artistry ehich consists of smiling and making your routine look like your having more fun. Might only be for compulsary though.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back