Does smiling really matter?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Putting the presentation and entertainment factors aside, to me the degree of smiling and making eye contact shows the attitude of the gymnast towards the routine, the judges, the meet and the sport. Why shouldn't a genuine smile score higher at a meet?

its the same for dance.
I would say it's a lot more so in dance. Dance is all about the presentation and entertainment value. Unless it's a dark and/or moody number, the kid is guarantied to suffer a big deduction for not showing expressions, even at a very young age. In gymnastics, judges are a lot more forgiving when little ones are too uptight or forgetful to smile.

smiling

I always thought smiling was the "thing to do" for my dd. But I recently watched worlds and no one smiled. They are concentrating so hard. The one I noticed the most is Rebecca Bross. Love her! but she never smiles. So does it really matter? maybe in the lower levels. As you get higher and higher does it matter so much? My dd just turned 12 yrs and will be competing level 9. Please let me know .....does it matter at this level?

I judge compulsories and optionals, and there is nothing worse than a plastered-on smile. I sometimes see entire teams with the pasted smile, and it is a bit disturbing. It actually takes away from the routine and the artistry. The choreography and presentation should look natural, and a big grin just isn't natural. Yes, smile if it feels right, but a smile throughout a routine is distracting. You're doing serious skills, look serious and concentrate. A smile with the salute is nice, but truly, we don't care. It doesn't affect the score. (Exception- if you look miserable/bored, especially on floor, I'll hit you with artistry.)

Last edited:
I never smile in my routine, and I've been averaging out at an 8.6 through out my season. I guess it's just really hard to smile in the new level six floor music. May I suggest happy compulsory music for once?

If you think the new L6 music brings on unhappy moments, I guess you would sob through the new L4 and 5 routines then.

Ha. Too true. The new L5 is particularly...uh...grown up & somber.

I don't think it's an actual direct duduction, but it shows the judge you're confident and having fun, which boosts your score, I believe.

I judge compulsories and optionals, and there is nothing worse than a plastered-on smile. I sometimes see entire teams with the pasted smile, and it is a bit disturbing. It actually takes away from the routine and the artistry. The choreography and presentation should look natural, and a big grin just isn't natural. Yes, smile if it feels right, but a smile throughout a routine is distracting. You're doing serious skills, look serious and concentrate. A smile with the salute is nice, but truly, we don't care. It doesn't affect the score. (Exception- if you look miserable/bored, especially on floor, I'll hit you with artistry.)

I remember my high school coach had us all put vaseline on our teeth, so our lips slid off our teeth into a "smile" if we forgot. Truth is, I always felt we looked "a bit disturbing."

I remember my high school coach had us all put vaseline on our teeth, so our lips slid off our teeth into a "smile" if we forgot. Truth is, I always felt we looked "a bit disturbing."

My skating coach said that her coach used to make her do that as well! She always threatened to vaseline me when I was testing my footwork because I looked so serious. Also, she wanted to tie my ponytail to the back of my dress so that I wouldn't keep staring down at the ice...that one might actually have been a good idea!

Mack_The_Ripper. I like the idea of tying your ponytail to your dress - funny!

Last year was my first year of optional, and thefirst half of the year I didn't really show off my routine. When I started to keep my eyes and head up, I scored better. I have a more serious routine, but I have found 3 or 4 places that are good to smile. The judges see routines all day, and smiling can help set you apart:D

There's sommething going up on my mind: women smile (most of the time) on their routines, but men don't (again, most of the time), why?

heck, i always leave a few bucks and a couple hersheys kisses at the judges tables after my kids compete the event. seems to work better than smiles. i'm just sayin...:)

heck, i always leave a few bucks and a couple hersheys kisses at the judges tables after my kids compete the event. seems to work better than smiles. i'm just sayin...:)

love it !!! I wonder if that would help them forget that my daughters legs were bent :rolleyes:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back