Parents Does the state qualifying score in USAG differ from state to state?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymmom82773

Proud Parent
My 12 year old L9 didnt qualify this year . She needed a 32AA . She didn't do AA until the last meet of the season due to injury and she didn't make it (31.3) . I saw in another post that to qualify for states , someone needed a 29? So I was just curious if it differed state to state . We live in New Jersey . Thanks !!

Here it was 34.5 for level 3, 4 and 5. Though they eventually dropped it some in order to have enough girls at states. Level 6 and up I think is 32.

Here, at least when my dd was in gymnastics, the compulsories qualified to state at sectionals. I think for optionals it was 32.

You have to hit 32AA twice here to qualify. We r in indiana

that is your gym policy.

yes, it can vary from state to state depending how many athletes there are.

EVERYONE, the USA Gymnastics guideline is a minimum score of 32.00 to qualify to state.

now let me point out. let's say the the kids had bad luck all year. the judges were less than stellar. and you're in Wyoming where you might only have 30 level 5 gymnasts. and NOONE gets the minimum 32.00 to qualify to state.

you can't not have a state meet. so, you lower the score to the lowest you can so that you have enough kids to pay for a meet.

Last edited by a moderator:
And that in a nutshell explains why the boys' qualifying scores are so much lower! Just not as many athletes. (With a girl and a boy, we occasionally have to do some math to try to get a rough approximation of what some girls' score would look like on the boys' side or vice versa.)

yeah its odd how boys score differently than girls. boys get a 10 and its not a perfect routine. They just got some bonuses.

Also, in some states you can use the qualifying score from either an in-state or an out-of-state meet, and in other states, only in-state meet scores count. So, if your team does a lot of out-of-state meets, your chances of qualifying are lessened.

that is your gym policy.

yes, it can vary from state to state depending how many athletes there are.

EVERYONE, the USA Gymnastics guideline is a minimum score of 32.00 to qualify to state.

now let me point out. let's say the the kids had bad luck all year. the judges were less than stellar. and you're in Wyoming where you might only have 30 level 5 gymnasts. and NOONE gets the minimum 32.00 to qualify to state.

you can't not have a state meet. so, you lower the score to the lowest you can so that you have enough kids to pay for a meet.

This just happened in PA for Level 3 and 4 States! State qualifying score was 34 AA at one USAG Sanctioned meet. Then, a week before States the Committee voted to lower it to 33 AA. I suspect it was because of low numbers registered for State Meet.

Also, in some states you can use the qualifying score from either an in-state or an out-of-state meet, and in other states, only in-state meet scores count. So, if your team does a lot of out-of-state meets, your chances of qualifying are lessened.
We don't necessarily do all meets on our gyms calendar. Part of our decision is meets that are state qualifying come first.

In Illinois, the state qualifying scores are:
Level 3 is 33 AA
Level 4 is 33
Level 5 is 33, Xcel is 32
Level 6&7 is 34.5
Level 8 is 33,
Level 9&10 is 32

yeah its odd how boys score differently than girls. boys get a 10 and its not a perfect routine. They just got some bonuses.
It's not odd it's just different. Girls start value, if they have all requirements is 10. Boys start values can go higher, thus a prefect score can be higher than.

MAG actually uses more of the FIG scoring, where they have a D (difficulty) score and an E (execution) score that add together. THe E score is out of 10, but hte D score can be whatever the gymnast can do within the level requirements.

Where we are, lvl 3 and 4 qualify to sectionals with two 32 AA scores. To qualify to state they have to get a "percent of a percent of 352 qualifiers", whatever that means. :)

USAG also changed the rule last year that each region can set their own regional qualifying score as well, so now for L9 and L10 it is region specific rather than the former uniform 34 score. Region 8 changed L9 qualification to 34.5.
I believe USAG policy is that it is a 32 for states at L9 and L10, but that states can set their own scores/qualifying methods for all lower levels.

It's not odd it's just different. Girls start value, if they have all requirements is 10. Boys start values can go higher, thus a prefect score can be higher than.

It is odd. Gymnastics seems to be the only sport where girls score and boys scores are based on different matrixes. Basketball,soccer, tennis, golf... U get the idea

At the International level, the scoring systems are similar, with separate difficulty and execution scoring. In college gymnastics, the men's program adopted a code that's based on the FIG system whereas women's NCAA still uses the 10.0 system. I think it makes sense that the JO programs use systems that are similar to their respective NCAA system.

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back