Parents Does this happen often?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymmom826

Proud Parent
How many times can a gymnast compete states in one season? I thought gymnasts had to wait for the next season, but I noticed a gymnast who competed with my dd (from another gym) earlier in the year, just competed states this month at a higher level.

If she competed lower, had states, moved up, competed, had states then it seems completely legit to me. Does each level have it's own states where you live? Is it one of the super seasons that last a whole school year and have two sets of states? Here in NorCal compulsory and optionals are in different seasons, so someone couldn't do both in one season. There wouldn't be any meets after states to qualify for a different level's states either.

Here in our region compulsories are October thru December, optionals start January through March/April. My DD for example competed level 4 from October until states in December, scored out of 5 in one meet in early January and immediately started level 6. She competed at state for level 6 in March.

I think it's pretty common in my area.

NY has an early state meet for Levels 2-6, so it is entirely possible to compete at states in Feb. Then move up a level, qualify and compete at States in April.

Don't think you could to do that in my state because we have a deadline where each gym must declare what level each gymnast will be for state qualification, and it is the same for all levels and prior to all levels states. Think it's mid February and our state meets start happening in March. So if you declare yourself a L6 in February, that means if you do a states (you still need to qualify), it's got to be L6. You are still allowed to go to meets and compete as a L7, L8, etc., after that February declaration, but you aren't able to go to any other state meet besides for L6.

The USAG site says that you may compete in a maximum of two State meets per year, one per season, at either the same or a higher level.

The season is for example, fall and spring. My DD competed level 5 State in fall and then level 6 State in the spring, but even if qualified skill-wise, could not then compete at State for level 7 as well in that same season.

How many times can a gymnast compete states in one season? I thought gymnasts had to wait for the next season, but I noticed a gymnast who competed with my dd (from another gym) earlier in the year, just competed states this month at a higher level.
If it's in the same season then no, (example January to March).

Some states have a Fall and Spring compulsory season, so a girl could compete two compulsory levels in one school year

Thank you for the responses. I don't know that was possible. I guess they do it to give the gymnast more experience...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back