Parents Does your childs gym host a meet?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Yes, from level 4 to level 10 the fee is the same. Thats why we parents all joke that we hope our gymmies stay in long enough for us to reap the benefits. That same $650 a level 4 pays for 6 to 7 meets close to home, takes a level 10 all the way to nationals with no other meet fees. All the money that we make goes to the team account and they do pay for the banquet (gymnasts only not families), and all meet fees and coaches fees including travel. Over the last few years we have done quite well with meets.

The gym meet is held at a local university and we have about 900 girls attend. The booster club makes all money from concessions at that meet. The second meet we host is a state meet and the booster club makes everything including meet fees and admissions. The cost of meets is also high here, the cheapest being $75 and fee running above $100 even for compulsories at the large meets. Also having the meets the way we do, 1 right at the beginning of the season and the state meet at the end before regionals and nationals the cash flow seems to run well for us. It's got to be hard to collect meet fees ongoing through the season. Also all of our meets are mandatory, we don't get to pick which ones we attend.

Wait, I am trying to understand... does everyone still pay the annual $650 - even if there is money that gets raised by the booster club? Or does this help reduce any fees?

Ingymmom---Forgot to add that the general booster club fund also buys the warm ups(about every 3 yrs) and we just check them out for the seaon---that is a nice savings plus they also buy the team warm up leos(the tank style). Comp leo is all parents have to buy and of course there is the option(at times) of getting a used one. Now, all the money in the general fund does not come from meets---other fundraisers are also put into that pot, but if the booster club hosts the meet it is a nice chunk of change to add to that account. To host a meet though, your booster club must already have some decent money in the bank since there are up front expenses like awards, getting programs printed, etc.

Our gym hosts 2 meets a year. We are required to work about 12 hours for each one. The money goes to the general fund. If we DON'T work the meet, we have to pay $10/hour for each hour not worked. I may have to do just that since my hubby works a lot and I don't leave my kids with other people.

We don't pay a fee every year. The first year you pay a certain amount, which goes up as the levels go up, that covers what fund you are taking from the previous year.

The general fund at our gym covers: coaches fees for meets, "team" entry fees for meets, team party, gymnast end of year awards/pins, misc expenses of boosterclub (postage, office supplies, etc), fees for judges consultations for team memebers. It also pays a percentage of gymnasts competition fees and coaches travel expenses, if there are funds for those things.

We pay our individual gymnasts meet entry fees, leos, USAG membership,, etc out of our individual fund. We sell things to raise those and 10% of individual fundraising also goes to the general fund. It is pretty confusing.

Interesting how each gym works so differently and how some must do better than others.

DD did compete Level 8 last year.We only did the meets that were close enough to drive.Even the State meet which was about a 7 hour drive.We were lucky regionals was close by.Actually hosted by our gym.Once she gets to level 9 and 10 we might have to reconsider doing some big travel meets.With the gas prices the way they are right now I don't know what we are going to do.

This is why I really hope dd2 opts to be done again once school starts. Last year, we only had 3 overnights and the furthest we went was about a 9 hour drive (Milwaukee). This year, however, the gym is talking about 2 trips to WI (regionals are there), 1 to St. Louis, and 1 to Dallas in addition to the closer places. We can't pick and choose the meets we attend. So, I won't shed a single tear if dd2 hangs it up again. I may shed many if she stays in and I have to fund all this traveling!

Costs seem to be pretty different in the UK.

We pay:

• about £100 per month for training
  • entrance fees for every competition for the gymnast (varies but probably £30 on average)
  • entrance fees for the parent as a spectator (sometimes only £2!)
  • team leotard - long sleeved for competing - £80 and sleeveless warm up/training leotard - £35 (these team leos can be changed as often as the gym wishes - most gyms keep them for several years, though)
  • track suit with gym emblem - £80(keep as long as still fits)
  • various tshirts - about £15. these are optional but some of the bigger competitions have special tshirts which you may want to buy as a keepsake
  • our own fuel for transport to competitions and accommodation if you need to stay over (only have done so once in the past few years). The furthest I have been is a 4 hour drive (there and 4 hours back).
On helping out at meets/competitions - I have done all kinds of things at competitions, made tea for judges, done the announcing of the gymnasts performing on floor and medal announcements, helped with adding up scores, and sold programmes at the entrance. This is done willingly to help the gym hosting the competition and there is no payment or compensation. It is just a case of "all hands on deck" on the day in order to have a successful competition.

My daughter has been a runner (ie taken scores to the scorekeepers) at several big competitions too, including British Champs / Olympic selection. This is deemed to be a privilege and she really did enjoy it, together with the ability to watch the top gymnasts performing.

Coaches from our old gym were not paid anything extra for coaching at competitions - in their own words "that is the icing on the cake".

It really does seem to be a whole lot more expensive the the USA judging by some of these replies.[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Our gym hosts 2 meets a year. We are required to work about 12 hours for each one. The money goes to the general fund. If we DON'T work the meet, we have to pay $10/hour for each hour not worked. I may have to do just that since my hubby works a lot and I don't leave my kids with other people.

We don't pay a fee every year. The first year you pay a certain amount, which goes up as the levels go up, that covers what fund you are taking from the previous year.

The general fund at our gym covers: coaches fees for meets, "team" entry fees for meets, team party, gymnast end of year awards/pins, misc expenses of boosterclub (postage, office supplies, etc), fees for judges consultations for team memebers. It also pays a percentage of gymnasts competition fees and coaches travel expenses, if there are funds for those things.

We pay our individual gymnasts meet entry fees, leos, USAG membership,, etc out of our individual fund. We sell things to raise those and 10% of individual fundraising also goes to the general fund. It is pretty confusing.

Interesting how each gym works so differently and how some must do better than others.

This sounds ideal to me actually. If I may ask what is the original amount that comes out of your pocket the 1st year that you join to cover the fund from the prior year?

Ingymmom---Forgot to add that the general booster club fund also buys the warm ups(about every 3 yrs) and we just check them out for the seaon---that is a nice savings plus they also buy the team warm up leos(the tank style). Comp leo is all parents have to buy and of course there is the option(at times) of getting a used one. Now, all the money in the general fund does not come from meets---other fundraisers are also put into that pot, but if the booster club hosts the meet it is a nice chunk of change to add to that account. To host a meet though, your booster club must already have some decent money in the bank since there are up front expenses like awards, getting programs printed, etc.

The O says they don't have a booster club. But does have some sort of seperate entity where the funds are placed that parents give for coaches/entry fees etc. The meet that is hosted is very small I think, maybe that is why they require an entry fee even from their own gymnasts.

Your gym sounds as if they really think about the parents needs as well which I think is wonderful. This is the kind of gym I would like to be involved in.

This sounds ideal to me actually. If I may ask what is the original amount that comes out of your pocket the 1st year that you join to cover the fund from the prior year?

For level 4 it is $150 and goes all the way up to $400 for a level 10. That is just a one time fee, it isn't every year.

Yes we all still pay the annual $650 (I hope it stays at that), the money that we raise goes into the general fund that pays for coaches expenses, banquet, christmas party, and all the other expenses of the team. We still pay for leos, warm-ups, etc. But when you think about it even when we clear $20,000 after the two meets divide it by 40 some girls ands it's less than $500 per gymmie. The annual fee is split into 4 payments and we can use the fundraisers to offset the amount. The only one we really participate in is wreath sales. Last year Cate raised $250 towards their commitment by sellin in the neighborhood. The wreathes are a good price and we make 40%. Some very dedicated Mom's raise more, but we can only sell so much, with school fundraisers and all.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back