Parents does your gym have

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Monkeygirlsmom

Proud Parent
open gym time?
ours does not so would it be bad to bring them to another gym to use the open gym time there? was thinking it would be a way to get some energy out they have (my girls only go 5 hours a week and wish they could go more)

Our gym does, Friday nights for 2 hrs. For members (rec or team) it is 10 or $15. Not sure what it is for non-members. We do not do open gym only because my Dd does about 10 1/2 hrs a week already. We are in no rush spend even more time in the gym. We do other activities on "off" days. There was one time right before states that she went to work w/coach on bars and loved the non-structured time in the gym & loved to show off in front of rec friends, LOL

I think is a good time to work on some skills & often you can get some one-on-one time w/coaches without the "private" fees as all the coaches are willing to help out anyone who asks. Not sure how it works going to another gym. You may get stuck paying a non-member fee. Maybe you can suggest it to your gym? We only started open gym this past year and it is a HUGE hit with the rec crowds & probably helped the gym membership too.

ours does. it's every tuesday for 2 hrs and then every other friday night. we don't go too often but i think we're gonna start going more often since chelsea is working on some new skills

Ours does, every Sat from noon to 2pm. $4 for members, $6 for non-members. The coaches are there to help with skills.

Barb

Our gym has open gym after their regular practice. Often I go to pick up my daughter after practice and she begs me to let her stay for open gym. I usually give in but I find it weird that she wants to stay since practice is 3.5 hours long when she stays she is there for 5 hours and I wonder isn't this kid tired but when she gets home she falls right to sleep then goes to another 4 hour practice the next day. I wonder where does this kid get the energy but she really loves it!:)

Our gym has open gym 2 hrs on friday night - this has become a middle school hang out. 2 hours on saturday and 2 hours on sunday (currently not available in the summer). Prices are $10 for members or non-members. My dd does not do open gym very often, but sometimes I let her on Sundays when it is not over crowded. She always begs to go with her brothers if they go on a Friday night - which is a NO WAY! LOL:D I have noticed that many gyms don't hold open gym time in the summer.

We enjoy going to other gyms for open gyms and I think there is nothing wrong with it. It is a chance for the kids to enjoy other types of equipment, and another environment. In your case even a little extra time in the gym which could be great for them :)

Last edited:
Our gym does have open gym on Fri. night for 2hrs then they have parents night out a couple times a month were they can stay for I believe another 2hrs.My dd used to go alot last year when she used to go Fri for practice and then stay thru open gym .At our gym they will only let the kids they know and are capable to work on the high beam and bars and are restricted to only do ther skills they can do by themselves.It can be a mad house in there.I do not see a problem with going to another gym for open gym .But I would mention it to your gym owners and see if they have any plans on doing open gym if they get enough request they might consider it .

During the school year, our gym has an open gym on Friday nights. My gymmie has shown no interest in going because she has just finished a 4 hour practice, its the end of a long week(school and gym) and most of the kids that come are rec kids, some high school girls that stopped gym and just want to do some basic skills etc. They don't let the optional girls work bars, vault etc., so no real gain in staying for it. During the summer it seems they try to alternate an early evening vs. daytime open gym and don't have it on Friday nights.

Our gym doesn't have open gym - but the amount of hours my dd goes it isn't an issue. I think I would check with her coach before going to an open gym somewhere else. They would probably be ok with it since they are just going to burn some energy and not looking to switch gyms - but I would be up front about it so they don't think something it's not.

our new gym has open gym during the school years on saturdays from 12:00-1:30 and it is free to team girls and 5 dollars for the general public:)
This fall Emily will have practice from 7:30-12:30 so not sure she will want to stay much for open gym after that but Madi probably will want to go all year:)

Didn't mean to post in the parent's forum...but wanted to say how great it is for kids to get outside and exercise and have fun during the Summer instead of hanging out in the gym.

Last edited:
Didn't mean to post in the parent's forum...but wanted to say how great it is for kids to get outside and exercise and have fun during the Summer instead of hanging out in the gym.

I have to agree w/ lannamavity - I know my DD just LOVES gym, but I want to make sure she does other things. When she is not in gym over the summer she is: riding her bike, roller-blading (yes - she is wearing all the proper equipment !!), swimming, collecting bugs.......... She has been going to tumbling twice a week for the last two weeks (at her request) and also been doing the Boy's class (her brother is in that class, and if we are at the gym - she just can't not participate :D ).

For her it is important because during the school year she really does not get any playtime on gym days (3 weekdays) and she does sometimes get frustrated w/ that.

If you are going to do it I would also let coach know what you are doing and why like flipmonkeysmom said.

I agree for the most part. I think my DD is in the gym MORE than enough for her age right now and I am glad our gym doesn't have open gym. Her old gym has a day time one for little kids during the week and she has gone a few times with her best friend, but they mostly just jump into the pit over and over again and play on the trampoline.

It has been 110 degrees for days here, so no playing outside, but they swim everyday in our pool and that is good exercise. We also do other things a few times a month like ice skating, skating, etc.

I even dislike my DD to practice at home now, though that is almost impossible to stop. To her, it IS playing and I guess as long as she is choosing to do it on her own, what can I do.

As to the OP, I think that I would bring it up with the HC/owner about whether they will do open gym. If not, I don't see a problem with going to other open gyms.

I agree with this I was more looking at somehting to do when its raining or tooo HOT outside! summer months here can be VERy humid and awful
plus my youngest dd is begging for more time in the gym and needs more of a safe outlet

We have Open gym daily for set hours but our team girls pay higher than everyone else. I never understood that. We go on ocassion when we don't have practice. Now for the summer that isn't going to happen we are there all the time.

Our gym does not have open gym. The only nearby gym that has open gym is the gym we left. So no....we're not interested in going to open gym. :D

I can't imagine that we'd have time anyway--my dd also does competitive dance and takes tennis. :eek:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back