Does Your Gym Require GYMNASTS to Wear Masks?

Does Your Gym Require GYMNASTS to Wear Masks?

• Yes

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • No

Votes: 58 73.4%

• Total voters
Did ChalkBucket help you?... help us too.

If you can't help financially... tell a friend about us!

cogymmom2dd

Proud Parent
Feb 9, 2020
Country
USA
Only in common areas such as lobby/locker area and restroom. If in the gym and actively working out, no. Coaches wear them at all times.
Many schools in our state are virtual or on a hybrid model, so there are some kids following a hybrid practice schedule (gym during the day on their days home from school), so groups are a lot smaller and less crowding in the gym the evening when most rec classes are happening.

raenndrops

Coach
Former Gymnast
Proud Relative
Oct 24, 2009
The 'Wood, Ohio
Country
USA
While the gymnasts aren't required to wear masks at all, some do wear them until they are inside and before going back out. gymnast storage areas are socially distanced. Team goes in 3 phases. Phase 1 gymnasts put their stuff in "squares" marked on the floor in the "viewing" area. Phase 2 gymnasts put their stuff in the "locker room" with socially distanced milk crates and wall hooks. They enter through the front swing door and exit through the back swing door. The reason they use the locker room is that there is an overlap of 30 minutes from group to group. Phase 3 uses the same spaces as Phase 1 (after they have been sprayed and vacuumed).
We don't have a lobby and our restrooms are individual, so only 1 in there at a time ... and there is someone who cleans both bathrooms regularly. From what I have seen, at least 1 coach is always on "cleaning duty" while people are in the gym.

Coaches and observers wear masks the whole time (and YG just started job shadowing for rec yesterday, and forgot that she would need one ... so while I got x-rays, my brother took her to Walgreens to get a mask). And since she is practicing 3 days a week and job shadowing on Fridays, I am back on "coach hydration watch" ... meaning I regularly check in to see if anyone needs a bottle of water. I hand sanitize, then go to the back room. Once in the back room (through the swinging door, so no touch entry / exit), I put on gloves and wipe down the refrigerator door handle. Gloves in the trash and get the waters out of the refrigerator. Then I go and deliver the waters to the coaches ... or put them where the coaches request them to be.

Did I mention how happy I am to be back at the gym??? :) I have no problem covering my face if it means I can be at the gym.

HoldThePhone

Proud Parent
Jul 12, 2012
Country
USA
No, but my daughter chooses to. We have a family member we help often who is very high risk. She is not practicing with the full group, only on days where there are fewer gymnasts in the group/building. She does take it off sometimes if no one is in her vicinity working on a skill, but she has worn it on all events. It's not her favorite, but she feels safest when wearing it. I actually do wish that it were required, as it might allow her to return to a more normal schedule. It's been a very lonely several months for her.

novagymmom

Former Gymnast
Proud Parent
May 19, 2020
Country
USA
At our gym they wear a mask entering and exiting. There are fewer people in the gym at a time than before. No parent spectators. Coaches where masks the full time.

2GymGrls

Proud Parent
Mar 30, 2020
Country
USA
Kids should never get used to wearing masks or thinking that it’s normal. It’s not normal.
I didn’t say it was normal to wear a mask while in the gym. These aren’t normal times. If there is a necessity to wear them to keep others safe then I’m happy to send her to gym wearing a mask. She is used to it because she understands it’s necessary for right now.

Eleven sol

Proud Parent
Aug 23, 2015
Country
USA
Yes, all gymnasts 11 and up wear masks 100% of the time. My soccer player is also required to wear a mask to and during practice.

Reactions: kecks

bogwoppit

Former Admin
Gold Membership
Former Gymnast
Feb 26, 2007
Country
Canada
To enter and circulate in the gym, gymnasts must be masked. If they need a spot, they need a mask. Coaches wear masks at all times.

Reactions: Geoffrey Taucer

Eleven sol

Proud Parent
Aug 23, 2015
Country
USA
It’ll be interesting to see how the pandemic and all the current events shape this younger generation. My children have already lived through a 500 year flood that destroyed half our town and now the air is thick with smoke as our state burns. They will have stories to tell their grandchildren.

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
Jul 19, 2011
Region 9
Country
USA
It’ll be interesting to see how the pandemic and all the current events shape this younger generation. My children have already lived through a 500 year flood that destroyed half our town and now the air is thick with smoke as our state burns. They will have stories to tell their grandchildren.
The smoke is bad! We have ash falling all over the place here. And now, preparing for a huge snow storm....sigh

wandrewsjr

Coach
Proud Parent
Sep 4, 2009
Country
USA
The smoke is bad! We have ash falling all over the place here. And now, preparing for a huge snow storm....sigh
Your weather in CO right now is like out of some dystopian climate change movie! My brother lives in Fort Collins, 93F high temp today, 35 high and snow storm tomorrow. Crazy!

M2Abi

Proud Parent
Jan 21, 2016
Country
USA
Due to state mandate for masks in all indoor places, they are required to wear masks in the gym. They are allowed to take them off for specific flipping skills where the coaches deem them to be a hazard.

Reactions: kgymmom

wandrewsjr

Coach
Proud Parent
Sep 4, 2009
Country
USA
I live in Fort Collins! Small world!!!
Yes! He said they are saying goodbye to the garden tonight before snowmagedon hits tomorrow. We are experiencing the smoke from fires and crazy heat here in CA but no snowstorm, though after two record setting 111 degree days in a row a snowstorm actually sounds pretty nice, lol!

sorry to highjack the mask thread!

Reactions: skschlag

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
Jul 19, 2011
Region 9
Country
USA
Yes! He said they are saying goodbye to the garden tonight before snowmagedon hits tomorrow. We are experiencing the smoke from fires and crazy heat here in CA but no snowstorm, though after two record setting 111 degree days in a row a snowstorm actually sounds pretty nice, lol!

sorry to highjack the mask thread!
We are harvesting most, and covering the rest. First successful year with a garden :(

Geoffrey Taucer

Former Admin
Gold Membership
Coach
Former Gymnast
Jan 21, 2007
Baltimore, MD
Country
USA
Kids should never get used to wearing masks or thinking that it’s normal. It’s not normal.
These are not normal times. And when several of our goals are mutually-exclusive, we have to weigh them and decide what is most important.

Goal 1: Be able to safely open and remain open without spreading deadly disease causing athletes and/or their families to risk death or permanent lung damage

Goal 2: Not wear a mask.

These goals are (at least in the short term) mutually exclusive, so we have to pick one or the other. Which is more important?

(This should be a very easy choice)

EDIT: just wanted to add: while it may not (in the long term) be normal to wear facemasks, it absolutely should be normal to consider the safety and wellbeing of the people around you, and to take steps accordingly. I am 100% on board with children thinking of this as normal, both now and forever.

Last edited:

margaery

Proud Parent
Aug 3, 2020
Country
Canada
No masks for athletes, coaches only. Parents are no longer allowed in the viewing area and cannot leave their vehicles. Our athletes have to bring in a signed form each practice stating that they have no symptoms. The gym is fogged at the end of each day. Everything is vacuumed and sanitized in between each group, and athletes must bring their own weights, mats, etc. A bunch of little changes too about bathrooms, ect.

Thank you for supporting our sponsors Energym Music & Norberts!