Does Your Gym Require GYMNASTS to Wear Masks?

Does Your Gym Require GYMNASTS to Wear Masks?

• Yes

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • No

Votes: 58 73.4%

• Total voters

cogymmom2dd

Proud Parent
Feb 9, 2020
Country
USA
No masks for athletes, coaches only. Parents are no longer allowed in the viewing area and cannot leave their vehicles. Our athletes have to bring in a signed form each practice stating that they have no symptoms. The gym is fogged at the end of each day. Everything is vacuumed and sanitized in between each group, and athletes must bring their own weights, mats, etc. A bunch of little changes too about bathrooms, ect.
Same for us but we can log into the gym’s CCTV system to view practices from a remote location once the weather gets colder. Otherwise, our gym has big garage doors and they keep them open with a 6 foot perimeter roped off. Parents are welcome to bring chairs and watch if needed but I prefer to drop off. Rec classes each have their own zoom meeting that can be logged in to if you want. I’ve only logged in once to watch DD 3’s first day on the developmental team.

Reactions: margaery
Did ChalkBucket help you?... help us too.

If you can't help financially... tell a friend about us!

mls529

Proud Parent
Feb 12, 2016
Country
USA
It started as masks only in and out of the building and in the restroom. But now all athletes must work out/tumble/bars with masks on as well. Yes, it is not ideal. But my DD will do anything to be back in the gym! (Also, it is not just our gym - all the local gyms have similar requirements). She said the hardest part is actually conditioning and warm-up in a mask. We are in the midwest with a moderately high # of cases.

FlippinPrincess

Proud Parent
Aug 22, 2016
Country
USA
No masks for athletes, coaches only. Parents are no longer allowed in the viewing area and cannot leave their vehicles. Our athletes have to bring in a signed form each practice stating that they have no symptoms. The gym is fogged at the end of each day. Everything is vacuumed and sanitized in between each group, and athletes must bring their own weights, mats, etc. A bunch of little changes too about bathrooms, ect.
They have to bring their own mats?

Reactions: MILgymFAM

Geoffrey Taucer

Former Admin
Gold Membership
Coach
Former Gymnast
Jan 21, 2007
Baltimore, MD
Country
USA
"Fogged"?

RNH

Proud Parent
Oct 29, 2018
Country
Uruguay
Yes and No. They are required to wear masks when they are not on the floor. So into and out of the building. Bathroom breaks. Masks required.

On the floor they are SD by group. Coaches wear masks. All working well. Be doing this since beginning of July.

NYS just opened gyms for working out. I wear my mask, we all do. Happy to be back. Masks s$ck and if its masks to be back or stay home.. Bring on the masks. No one loves them. We all deal. Been wearing them at work since March.
Do you know if it is NYS requirement to wear masks in the gym or can the gym decide their policy?

Mrs. Puma

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
Sep 23, 2014
Syracuse, NY
Country
USA
Do you know if it is NYS requirement to wear masks in the gym or can the gym decide their policy?
Great question. I don’t think it is? Our gym originally had them wear masks walking in and out, in between events, and to the bathroom. But then changed it to at all times with a few exceptions? I think like when it’s your turn on some skills? I’ll have to ask Puma Jr the details. But I am pretty sure it is not NYS law for gymnasts to have it on 100% of the time. Coaches at our gym do wear them 100% of the time.

Reactions: RNH

ldw4mlo

Proud Parent
Feb 13, 2015
Country
USA
NYS requires masks pretty much every where.

Based on reopening guidance the rules are if they can socially distance the gymnasts can go without masks provided they clean the equipment between rotations. Off the floor the gymnasts need masks. Coaches have masks on at all times.

Reactions: RNH

ldw4mlo

Proud Parent
Feb 13, 2015
Country
USA
Great question. I don’t think it is? Our gym originally had them wear masks walking in and out, in between events, and to the bathroom. But then changed it to at all times with a few exceptions? I think like when it’s your turn on some skills? I’ll have to ask Puma Jr the details. But I am pretty sure it is not NYS law for gymnasts to have it on 100% of the time. Coaches at our gym do wear them 100% of the time.
No if they can social distance, no masks. Coaches always.

Reactions: Mrs. Puma

RNH

Proud Parent
Oct 29, 2018
Country
Uruguay

ldw4mlo

Proud Parent
Feb 13, 2015
Country
USA
Who checks on these things? I have heard there are inspectors in other states?
Ours have been back since the beginning of July, no one has checked.

I have heard of gyms bending the rules. Just wouldn’t happen at our gym. All it would take is one parent to call the state, no way is our very small gym going to put their livelihood on the line. And the kids don’t want to get shut down either.

I’m very comfortable sending my kid to gym.

Reactions: PinPin and RNH

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
Jul 19, 2011
Region 9
Country
USA
Who checks on these things? I have heard there are inspectors in other states?
We have been back since beginning of June. I know there are people out there watching, and I think our owner has talked to them to stay compliant.

Reactions: PinPin and RNH

Mrs. Puma

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
Sep 23, 2014
Syracuse, NY
Country
USA
I have heard of gyms bending the rules. Just wouldn’t happen at our gym. All it would take is one parent to call the state, no way is our very small gym going to put their livelihood on the line. And the kids don’t want to get shut down either.
This is our gym too. They are definitely following the rules and doing the best they can to keep everyone safe and not get shut down. I agree that it wouldn’t take much for the state to get involved. There have already been some issues at some SUNY schools and S.U., and the schools are being pretty aggressive with keeping it under control.

Reactions: PinPin and ldw4mlo

nemo544

Proud Parent
Jul 2, 2018
Country
USA
My DD’s gym requires masks at all times for everyone in the gym because it’s required in our state (OR). When that rule happened, the gym shortened practices for a few days to get them acclimated, then they went right back to normal. It really didn’t seem to bother my DD much. She’s level 9 and hasn’t had a problem doing any of her upgraded skills with a mask on. It’s really no different exertion wise than training at altitude which many athletes do intentionally. So my thought is that they will be even stronger when they can finally take them off. I’d rather them wear masks than have the gym (and everything) shut down again for two months and I’m sure she’d agree. Being masked at all times also means if someone turned up positive on the team, the rest of them wouldn’t have to quarantine since their risk would be considered low.

Go Figure

Proud Parent
Nov 8, 2018
Country
USA
No mask except when walking into the building. Gymnasts do get their temp taken and have to hand sanitize before they go into practice. Our gym is separated by glass from the parent viewing area. Coaches do wear masks. Parents have just recently been allowed in as they installed plexiglass dividers to separate each chair.

Reactions: PinPin

Greatlakesmom

Former Gymnast
Proud Parent
Aug 6, 2018
Country
USA
Our girls now wear masks much of the time, including on events. Due to state mandate last week. They need masks on unless they can clearly social distance 6 feet apart.

Thank you for supporting our sponsors Energym Music & Norberts!