Parents Does your gym update you on how your child is doing?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmom14

Proud Parent
There seems to be a lot guessing on how our kids are doing at the gym. There is not much communication in fact it seems like they really don't want to discuss it. I am going with the "if there is a problem, they will come talk to me" theory. But we pay a lot of money to attend the gym, dont we deserve some info?

I feel like a parent/teacher conference (coach/gymparent) would be helpful. Does you gym do anything like this?

I assume she will be l6 because that's the rountine she is learning. We have not been officially informed.

Our old gym would have a "conference" a month after the new practice season started to update us. Well, that really wasn't very useful, b/c after only a month, how much could you really tell? Our new gym does nothing of the sort. They do give you a report card at the end of the season with checks on such things as "attendance" "attitude", etc. Kind of useless if you ask me. There's never any discussion or comment as to how their skills are coming along, what they anticipate for the girls or anything else.

Our gym provides an evaluation sheet with the skills for their level checked off if they have them. They also note what they need to be working on. DD's said something like "all skills need polishing and more dynamics." Other than that, if we want to know something as parents, we just have to try and catch HC before training for a quick chat. I know she doesn't like that tactic but otherwise, we'd never know anything.

There's not much communication at our gym either. The coach sticks around the back of the gym...I think so parents can't get to him;) If you e-mail him, he does get back to you. But with very brief, general answers... I type him a book, that I pain stakingly think about every word I type. Then he replies "she's right on target for where she needs to be"...things like that LOL! But I always figure no news is good news. I'm sure if I really had an issue I could schedule a meeting without a problem. We do get one face to face meeting at the end of each summer. At that one he tells us what level DD will compete that year & his plan & goals for our DD. He always seems "uncomfortable" during those meetings though. I think some of the "Crazy moms" have him scared of all of us,LOL!!!

Lack of communication seems to be a theme at most gyms. Just from reading these posts, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has this problem. We pay ALOT of money to the gyms, and I think we deserve some sort of feedback about how they feel our kids are progressing. We shouldn't feel like we are imposing on them when we ask a question about our dd. We get nothing, unless we ask and force them to answer.

Only if you go to them personally or they approach you if your child is ready to move up. Otherwise, they don't have any "coach\parent" conferences. I would kind of like one though because I have no idea how my child is doing.:confused:

Same with our gym - very little communication... coaches will tell parents if there is a problem, or a change in level planned, but not too much else. Although, I must admit the office staff at new gym is amazing about communicating whatever they are able to. :)

We went to a camp this summer at a spectacular gym. They actually scheduled time slots to meet with each parent quarterly (similar to parent/teacher conferences) - I must admit, I was impressed.:D

Wow--I guess I am one of the lucky ones. DD's coach is great when it comes to communicating with the parents. Usually after every practice there is some small talk with the coach and if there is something that dd needs to work on then the coach will make a point to come out and tell me. She is very in tune with the kids and has a great balance of instilling discipline, nurturing, confidence building, and just being silly with them. She is wonderful!!!

I must say the gym we're at now is far and away better than where we were as far as communication. We have a conference with the coach(gymnast and parent) about 1 month after the season ends. The gymnast fills out a short questionaire and the coach reviews the answers and discusses with parent and child. They also ask for the girls' goals---just survive, try for L10, whatever. Certainly gives them a better idea what the kids are thinking about. Since they do uptraining during the season, they discuss where skills are for the next level, explain what skills are needed with the parents and what the focus will be for summer practice(for the optional girls).

The girls all have skills pre-test and a final test before levels are decided and those dates are put on the team calendar, so nothing sneaky going on. If I need to talk with gymmie's coach, just leave a note in her mailbox at the gym and the coaches are told to get back with parents by the end of the next practice. Now, the HC has put out a list with all the coach's email addresses, which will make sending little updates or getting questions answered that much easier. Also, the coaches actually come OUT of the gym at the end of practice(used to hide somewhere at our old gym or act like they had a VERY important phone call), so we can easily catch them for a quick question. Gymmie's coach is very approachable and will usually stop for a minute or so to give an update on a skill thats now clicking or just that she had a good practice. She has also asked if my gymmie is feeling ok a couple of times when she's seen low energy or just not with it.

Interesting that our HC came from our former gym----he really does want to work things our with parents before major problems come up.

I have no idea what would be normal, but I'm happy with ours! Older dd's coach (also owner) is always there at the end of practice and happy to answer questions, tell you about something your child did, etc. She also doesn't hesitate to yell "MOM! WATCH!" in the middle of a practice too!! LOL These are L3, 7yo girls.

I've seen the optionals coach(es) come up to the viewing area to speak to parents mid-practice and they too will holler at a parent to watch when a gymnast gets a new skill down.

My younger two both do rec and their coaches are very chatty!!!

I've never had a problem getting a hold of a coach to have a question and they are usually offering feedback before I even ask.

When my daughter was in the developmental class, her coach was so awesome at keeping us up to date on each and every skill they got, what it was if we didn't know, etc. She spoiled us. LOL. Love her to death. She has 3 daughters on team, so I think she knows what parents like.

Now that DD is on team, nothing, zip, nada. They didn't even tell US that our girls weren't going to compete until Spring. We have to ask to find out anything. No skills check off lists, nothing. I watch her at least an hour at each practice and she tells me everything, but otherwise, we get no clue from the coaches.

Same here I get no feed back at my daughters gym. Last year was our first year competing and this was tough. If I approached the coaches with questions they would answer them but that was it. This year I got practice times for the fall, my daughter is grouped with the compulsaries but I had to ask what level she will be competiting in and that was even vague. I get most of my information from the other experinced team parents who are wonderful and from my daughter. I wonder if parents more upset with being updated with this sport because the expense and time they put into it. When my daughter played soccor and swam I was never concerned about an update but with gymnastics I feel like I need feedback. I also think the coaches want total control and only want to involve the parents when it is absolutely necessary.

Not much feed back her either unless you ask. Sometimes there is a "she is doing great" or "she needs to....."

The will always let the gymmie drag the parent into the gym to watch a new skill - usually after class but sometimes during.

AS a parent I found this most frustrating when I coached at one gym and my girls were on team at another gym.
Now as a head coach I send out group emails per level through out the season..(Example ..level 4s are working hard. We are concentrating on dance connections on floor and beam these past few weeks. Attendance is great. Keep it up! I will send you an individual email if I feel your gymmie is struggling with anything.) I also send out individual email evaluations 2x a year though it is painstaking and takes forever with 90 team members..Parents really appreciated it.

We have once a year one on one meetings with the coaches. After competition season is over. To wrap up the last years season and look ahead to the upcoming year.

I can call HC when I am concerned and talk to him. Normally though, I get vaugue answers. Like so many other posters... do they learn that in coaching school??? I talk to the assistant coach a lot ( it is HC's Daughter). I can really voice my concerns with her and then she can present it to him. He is a typical male - kinda stubborn, likes to think everything is HIS idea.. (sorry no offense to any dad posters here),

For example - last year during comp season HC invited DD to compete L8, she decided to finish the season out at L7. This year he is demanding a Pioruette on bars to go to L8. No one had a change of direction during their first year of L8 last year. Only one girl did and it was her second year at L8. She has worked SO hard this summer to get that skill. She has done several of them but they are not consistent at all... and she has only done 1 in a full routine. so she is becoming frutrated. I tried to explain to HC it is hard on a 12 year old when you tell her one thing then change your mind. He said rules are rules and she has till Oct 1st to get the skill.. arg..SOO Frustrating. Now dd just wishes she could go back and compete L8 last year. Oh and 1 other L8 (who competed last year) still doesnt have her Pioruette but will be competing... doesnt make sense to me...

Sorry that was a rant! I guess I am a little frustrated these days...

For example - last year during comp season HC invited DD to compete L8, she decided to finish the season out at L7. This year he is demanding a Pioruette on bars to go to L8. No one had a change of direction during their first year of L8 last year. Only one girl did and it was her second year at L8. She has worked SO hard this summer to get that skill. She has done several of them but they are not consistent at all... and she has only done 1 in a full routine. so she is becoming frutrated. I tried to explain to HC it is hard on a 12 year old when you tell her one thing then change your mind. He said rules are rules and she has till Oct 1st to get the skill.. arg..SOO Frustrating. Now dd just wishes she could go back and compete L8 last year. Oh and 1 other L8 (who competed last year) still doesnt have her Pioruette but will be competing... doesnt make sense to me...

Sorry that was a rant! I guess I am a little frustrated these days...

I understand the "rules are rules" deal but I don't understand how the rules can apply to one gymnast but not to another. We had some issue with that at our gym. The "rule" was that the girls had to have all their skills (didn't have to be pretty but had to be able to do everything without any spots) by the end of August in order to compete the level. Well, one girl that didn't have her skills was sent to prep-op (AAU, not USAG) but two or three others, who also didn't have their skills, got to stay on team. That seems completely unfair to me.

I'm right there with you kristilyn73...I believe in 'rules are rules' too...and that is how I've raised my children. I also believe in consistancy when it comes to enforcing rules. Then we have a coach who changes his rules when he feels like it. How do you explain that to a kid, when we don't understand it as the parents:confused: In DD case, this coach has no kids of his own...I don't think he realizes how much he is playing with our kids' minds.

I don't feel so bad anymore after reading some of these posts. I was starting to think that the coaches maybe just don't like me! :D

Anyway, we get no feedback at all. You only get a paper in your child's mailbox at the end of May checking off what level they will be doing next season. I've tried various methods of getting a hold of the coaches a few times in the past when I've had a question about something, and I've only had one of the coaches get back to me. The others do not even answer my email or message left at the gym. Also, when my older DD just recently quit, the office said that I should contact the coaches of her level to discuss with them first before submitting withdrawal paperwork. I left a note for the coach that she suggested (we don't have a HC) in the gym with no return message. A week later I just submitted the paperwork and officially took her out.

I find this situation very frustrating. We had sort of tossed around the idea of leaving this gym over the summer before my older DD decided to quit. The lack of communication plus one other thing were my only reasons for wanting to leave. I called around a few places, but we never went any further than that. However, I was quite surprised when I called one of the other gyms in the area. They told me that they do face to face conferences with the parent and child after the season to let you know what level they will be training in the summer and again at the end to let you know what level they will be competing. I really liked this idea.

I get an update monthly from DD's coach as to what she would like to see more or where she is. I was pulled in last month to have DD's knees pointed out to me and that they were going to be hitting her tightness HARD from that point on. I was fine with it and they pointed out how great she was doing on all her routines but they wanted to see those knees a bit more locked at times.

I also get phone calls from DD's coach to help keep me informed as to things that she is going to be doing in the future and what she is hoping to happen. I guess I am just lucky with the communication I get. I know not everyone at our level gets that at our Gym.

Our gym is pretty open, our HC is happy to talk with parents when problems come up or keep us updated on their progress; though, that could have to do with the close-knitness of us parents. I'm one of those moms whose generally on hand and I'm not the only one, being regular faces and lending a hand when asked makes us more approachable? I don't know. Frankly, I'd be upset if my kids' coach didn't keep us informed. Maybe once they are older, but at 5? Being a non-gymmie myself, I wish our gym had some kind of skill check-off lists for us, because it'd help me understand things a little better. That could just be the former teacher in me, though.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back