Parents Does your gymmie compete with another gymnast?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Okay, you've got me scared now. Less than 2 months after quitting gymnastics, DD #2 wants to do all star cheer instead. She went and tried out her friend's team and really liked it. Against my better judgment, I think I am going to let her do it. At least it's something to keep her active and it won't be as much pounding on her wrist as the gymnastics was. However, I have no clue what to expect with cheer. I would appreciate any "insider" input on the whole cheer thing.

Don't let yourself get wrapped up in the drama. I would go drop off my dd, pick her up and not get involved at all with the moms who stayed every practice picking apart all the girls. My dd also had really good instincts - she stuck with the girls who were nice and normal and avoided the trouble makers and drama queens. Good luck !!!

Okay, you've got me scared now. Less than 2 months after quitting gymnastics, DD #2 wants to do all star cheer instead. She went and tried out her friend's team and really liked it. Against my better judgment, I think I am going to let her do it. At least it's something to keep her active and it won't be as much pounding on her wrist as the gymnastics was. However, I have no clue what to expect with cheer. I would appreciate any "insider" input on the whole cheer thing.

Oh boy! I could give you lots of "insider Info" on the whole cheer thing! Basically like Flippymonkeysmom said, don't get too wrapped up in it. It is best to drop off and pick up that way avoiding the psycho cheer moms. I think the reason why cheer is such a different animal and why the moms get so crazy is that it is a team sport where EVERYONE is dependant on each other for the overall success of the team. In cheer there are stunt groups, and everyone plays a crucial part. There are 2 bases, a back spot, front spot (sometimes) and a flyer. If one girl isn't doing their part, then the stunt will fall. And mostly, when it falls, the flyer is often blamed, even if it was not technically their fault. This is where the drama comes in. It's a big blame game and everyone is blaming someone else for the stunt not working when the entire stunt group needs to take responsibility. We went through so much of this last year. Then you have the parents who want thier kids to fly even though they may not be the best choice (they are strong or tall so they are needed for basing or back spotting). Then you have the kids who get the front and "point position" in dance or jumps, the kids who get the specialty tumbling passes and that coveted "last tumbling pass"...As you can see it gets pretty crazy and creates an environment for jealosy, parents who want to "control" everything and a lot of stress for the kids. My dd and I left the sport because of all this. It just wasn't fun anymore--for either of us.

All the time! Having triplets, there is bound to have competition. Hannah is very competitive. Leah and Allison are more laid back. Who can do the most rope climbs? Who can do more leg lifts? There is usually tears in the end of every 3 practices;) Al and Hannah are a bit more flexible then Leah. All 3 are down in all 3 splits- it just sends her off crying when they have those types of competition. Handstand presses are the worst! Al and Leah can do them very well- Hannah sometimes it takes more time to do them.

Trust me! You are definately not alone.:eek:

My daughter seems to be only competitive against herself. That's ok. But, I do think there is a benefit to having a little interest in what your teammates are doing. I think by watching the other girls they can learn what makes So-and-So's bars look so nice or why another teammates back handsprings are so good, and then make adjustments to their own skills.

Oh boy! I could give you lots of "insider Info" on the whole cheer thing! Basically like Flippymonkeysmom said, don't get too wrapped up in it. It is best to drop off and pick up that way avoiding the psycho cheer moms. I think the reason why cheer is such a different animal and why the moms get so crazy is that it is a team sport where EVERYONE is dependant on each other for the overall success of the team. In cheer there are stunt groups, and everyone plays a crucial part. There are 2 bases, a back spot, front spot (sometimes) and a flyer. If one girl isn't doing their part, then the stunt will fall. And mostly, when it falls, the flyer is often blamed, even if it was not technically their fault. This is where the drama comes in. It's a big blame game and everyone is blaming someone else for the stunt not working when the entire stunt group needs to take responsibility. We went through so much of this last year. Then you have the parents who want thier kids to fly even though they may not be the best choice (they are strong or tall so they are needed for basing or back spotting). Then you have the kids who get the front and "point position" in dance or jumps, the kids who get the specialty tumbling passes and that coveted "last tumbling pass"...As you can see it gets pretty crazy and creates an environment for jealosy, parents who want to "control" everything and a lot of stress for the kids. My dd and I left the sport because of all this. It just wasn't fun anymore--for either of us.

MDGymMom hit the nail on the head......I think it also has to do with the fact that, All Star cheer is such a popular growing sport right now, sooo many girls are involved with it.....some areas have atleast 5 or 6 six different all star teams....and unlike gymnastics there really isn't a whole lot of things you can go from it....with the exception of the Worlds competition, sure more and more colleges are now offering scholarships to competitive teams, but it's still few and far between as compared to other collegiate sports. So so many parents want their kid to be that shinning star on the team, who stands out amongst the rest, as to carve out their own special nitch within the sport.

DD was on a Mini Level team....ages 6-8 most of the girls were, and I think it was worse among the parents of this age group then the older groups. I have seen it all too lol.......MDGymMom and flippymokeysmom are right....don't get wrapped up in it. Take it from the Mom of a kid who had that "coveted last tumbling pass" lol......it's brutual.

My daughter seems to be only competitive against herself. That's ok. But, I do think there is a benefit to having a little interest in what your teammates are doing. I think by watching the other girls they can learn what makes So-and-So's bars look so nice or why another teammates back handsprings are so good, and then make adjustments to their own skills.

Definitely! I just wish she would just be proud of them and not want to do things when she isn't ready. LOL.

Just curious question for those of you with siblings that compete directly against each other....how do they & you handle it? At one meet where my DD competed, there was a set of twins from another gym. One of the girls was obviously VERY talented & her sibling also good...but not quite the same caliber. During the awards the talented gymmie was up on the podium in every event including 1st AA....while her sister sat on the floor, obviously fighting back tears:( We all felt so bad for her & for her sister who probably felt "guilty" for coming in over her. It just didn't look like a "healthy" situation...mentally.... for either child. How do you deal with these types of situations:confused:

Just curious question for those of you with siblings that compete directly against each other....how do they & you handle it? At one meet where my DD competed, there was a set of twins from another gym. One of the girls was obviously VERY talented & her sibling also good...but not quite the same caliber. During the awards the talented gymmie was up on the podium in every event including 1st AA....while her sister sat on the floor, obviously fighting back tears:( We all felt so bad for her & for her sister who probably felt "guilty" for coming in over her. It just didn't look like a "healthy" situation...mentally.... for either child. How do you deal with these types of situations:confused:

Since I have younger ones, they don't really "get" scoring and placing. All they care about is having their name called and having a shiny medal around their neck. They don't care if they are 3rd or 1st. All they want is that medal, but I understand where you are coming from. At their first (and only) level 4 meet, Hannah fell off beam 3 times. She was crying and didn't think she was going to get a medal. Turns out she placed second AA. ;) Right now we are just trying to keep the competition healthy. At practice they are pretty competitive, but at meets they relax a lot more. When Hannah was crying, Leah was trying to calm her down (sweet sib moment:))

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back