Parents Does your gymmie stick to the same brand of grips?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

cbifoja

Proud Parent
I just bought my DD her third pair of grips in the past four years. When she went into grips, she was 8YO and still pretty small/light so her coach had me order her the Gibson Just Right grips because they apparently have a thinner/skinnier palm guard than other brands. So both times I've been told to replace her grips, I have ordered the same brand and type.

Are gymnast "brand loyal"? At some point, is it likely that my DD will want/need a pair of grips with a wider palm guard? And if it is typical to change brands as they grow/mature or get better, how will I know when she is ready for something different?

Interested to see answers. DD has two pairs, and they're both Ten-O 501 Blues buckle grips. Her first pair is starting to wear out though, and HC recommended a specific type of Reisport for L8 and up. We're thinking of making them a Christmas present.

My level 9/10 gymnast is brand loyal. She prefers DGS single buckle narrow grips. She has tried others but she just likes what she likes. She won't let me buy anything else.

DS was in Reisport velcro for years. He switched the Hambuchens and only wants them now. He does still have Reisport double buckles for rings, and back up high bar, but I am in the process of getting him the Hambuchens for everything. I dont see him switching, unless they wear out too quickly and then I will beg him to try something else (new HB grips ever y6-8 months is tough!)

started with pixie grips x 3 years (old 4, old 5 and new 5) Then Hot shot double buckles with leather cuff (b/c she is much taller/older/heavier) x 2 years (new 6 and now 7)
A new pair every year but was/is pretty loyal, likes them so doesn't want to rock the boat.
I have heard that many older gymnasts at 9/10 move to a ticker, stouter, wider grip.

Interested to see answers. DD has two pairs, and they're both Ten-O 501 Blues buckle grips. Her first pair is starting to wear out though, and HC recommended a specific type of Reisport for L8 and up. We're thinking of making them a Christmas present.

Were you give a reason why this grip might be better for L8+?

started with pixie grips x 3 years (old 4, old 5 and new 5) Then Hot shot double buckles with leather cuff (b/c she is much taller/older/heavier) x 2 years (new 6 and now 7)
A new pair every year but was/is pretty loyal, likes them so doesn't want to rock the boat.
I have heard that many older gymnasts at 9/10 move to a ticker, stouter, wider grip.

Do you know why some gymnasts/coaches prefer double buckle versus single? My DD gets single and when I asked if she needed or wanted doubles, she very emphatically told me that she did NOT want double buckles.

Coach told her which brand to get, I don't remember which one, double buckle. No velcro was allowed

DS used to use US Glove. He started in the narrow cut ones--hot shots. He went into a comparable regular cut one next. It was a little hard for him to get used the wider ones. I think he may have had a pair of Gibson's in there some time. His latest grips are Turn.

As they get older and bigger and spend more time swinging and are working releases, they do need to change into grips that are made of stiffer leather, or they'll go through a pair a month.

DS used to use US Glove. He started in the narrow cut ones--hot shots. He went into a comparable regular cut one next. It was a little hard for him to get used the wider ones. I think he may have had a pair of Gibson's in there some time. His latest grips are Turn.

As they get older and bigger and spend more time swinging and are working releases, they do need to change into grips that are made of stiffer leather, or they'll go through a pair a month.

Haha, you are lucky that he hasn't signed up for the Hambuchen crazy train!

My DD switched to double buckle as she started training L8. She switched from single buckle because her grips would move up and down a little. With the double buckle she feels they stay in place better. She just got a new pair and it was the very first time that she didn't fight me about breaking in a new pair of grips, but agreed that it was time (hand hasn't grown, they were just getting slippery and a bit stretched out).

When do girls switch from narrow to wider grips? Is it size of hand or weight based? Is it skill based? I am trying to decide if that is the next change up as she works more L9 and L10 skills. Any thoughts from those of you with DD in those levels?

Our girls don't get grips until L7-8, some never (if they don't need them). Our HC prefers a certain brand and style so their first grips are all the same. I asked why and he said they have been very consistently good quality and a good fit for most girls. My DD just got her first pair this fall. They're Bailie double buckles, HC dislikes Velcro grips.

My girls have always used Hot shots because of the thinner palm piece...they like to "feel" the bar...and my oldest continues to use these in college. We tried Reisport once because we were given a pair but the girls thought they felt like boxing gloves, so that was the end of that...

My girls have always used Hot shots because of the thinner palm piece...they like to "feel" the bar...and my oldest continues to use these in college. We tried Reisport once because we were given a pair but the girls thought they felt like boxing gloves, so that was the end of that...
My girls were the same. One wore Hot Shots through level 9(until stopped gym), release moves on bars, and was about 5'5", 120 pounds. She also liked that she could "feel" more of the bar.

I have one that loyally wears Reisport double buckles and one that wears English Bulldog single buckle kipper grips (narrow). Both love love love their brand and style.

Haha, you are lucky that he hasn't signed up for the Hambuchen crazy train!
Actually, I was thinking of looking into Hambuchens. I like the Turn guys and support what they're doing, but with his last pair, the buckle broke within the first couple months. They definitely need to be putting sturdier buckles on there. They say their grips are designed for elite athletes, but if my skinny guy catching Geingers breaks a buckle, how the heck would they stand up to a Whittenburg catching Cassinas?

Do the Hambuchens come in a buckle version though? My DS is anti velcro.

No. They come in velcro or a velcro/buckle combo. That is what sold my son. He loves that he can tighten the buckle and leave it, and then adjust the velcro as needed. He always felt like he couldn't get the double buckle to feel right.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back