WAG Double back tuck acquired at what age?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think we have never had kids under the age of 12 compete double backs in this whole country. Many of the juniors (girls born 2005-2003) didn't even do it in the Nationals this year. I would be super impressed to see a 10 year old throw that skill in a routine! It's a risky skill and can lead to a catastrophic injury, so no need to get rid of safety mats, pits and spotting too early.

Kids were doing them in 2008 at JOs and they were definitely under 12...they weren't all that common and you saw double twists more often, but they were being done.
I don't think the poster was talking about the USA.

I may have inaccurate information, but I did hear that the double back is more dangerous than double twisting skills. I heard that it is not competed in cheer competitions for this reason.

Very true. The most common injuries for underrotated double twists are related to ankles and knees, the most common injuries for jnderrotated double backs are related to the head, neck and spinal cord.

I don't think the poster was talking about the USA.
USA is more relevant to my child, but answers should not be limited to USA gymnasts. Any high level athlete. I know not everybody will train nor compete this skill and that usually only gymnasts of a certain JO Level will even get trained or get to attempt it, but my question has more to do with age than anything else.

my DD started training them after her 2nd year of level 4 (on tramp with a coach) where she also did a score out season of 5. but she is now a 2nd year 7 and still doesn't "have" the skill on the floor.

My 12yo daughter has only done it into the pit but we have a 10yo getting ready to compete level 8 who can do it out of her giants on the regular set of bars. She may be one of the exceptions

Like most said, its not about age as much as level. My daughter was competing them her first year of level 9 in 7th grade, so what is that, about 12 years old?

Mine got them on rod floor and into the pit onto a mat at 10. She’s never competed them. She plans to compete a double pike this year. She’s 13.

I have a 10 year old going to compete level 9 and will be doing a double back. She first got the skill in the spring.. she could perhaps do a double pike, but not sure. I would say she started doing them in the pit last summer, moving to rod floor on to mats.. then to floor. She also has an alternate she can do if she doesnt feel safe at a meet doing it.

Depends
We have 2 training groups.
Seems the morning group typically get to train the skill far sooner than the night girls in the same age/level. Morning level 6/7 are training them into the pit at 7-14 yrs old.
A few of our 7/8 at night are training them into the pit and those girls are 11-14.

DD is 11 and hasn’t even started training them level 6/7.

It matters only because I asked the question. It's not meant to be a brag thread, or anything like that, nor should it be understood that anybody getting it any sooner makes anybody a better or worse gymnast. It is understood that everybody works at their own pace based on their trainer's advice, their goals and abilities. I only meant to see if my daughter's progress is or is not typical. In asking I've gotten much more information than I originally intended. This forum is GREAT! Thank you for all the wonderful information you've all provided.

Double backs seems more impressive that twisting. But it really isn't. They are equally difficult.

My daughter competed double backs as a Level 9. She just turned 11. It might have been introduced to her two summers before L9 but really only trained it the summer before L9. My daughter to this day, her fifth year in L10 struggles with twisting. She can't get past 1 1/2.

When you say "acquire a skill", does that mean competition ready or landing it once or twice? I don't consider the acquisition of a skill as a lucky landing or two and anything other than it being competition ready. Additionally, how often a gymnast trains the skill is a huge factor. Someone may get it at 9 years old but has been training it religiously for two years. Another gymnast may have gotten it at 12 because it was only being trained sporadically even though it may have been introduced two or even 3 years prior. My point is, talent is only one of the factor in acquiring a difficult skill. Additionally double backs is not required skill at any level. So some may never have it.

After reading further posts and as an addendum to my post above, my daughter is a regular path average gymnast. While she did qualify to TOPs national testing as a 9 and 10 year old, it did not go past that. Additionally, her double backs were better as an 11 and 12 year old because the next 4 years were riddled with injuries which made skill development/progression difficult; add to that a developing body (puberty., etc). She was regional floor champion as a Level 8 but now six years later, floor is her weakest event.

Reactions: sce
I agree db acquisition is more ability and awareness based than age etc. But with that said, and I dont know how old your child is but I've seen kids as young as 6 or 7 being pushed to quickly to train them. Sometimes it's more an overzealous coach than it is the kid's ability to get that skill. Timing and mental awareness as well as great air sense play a role in doing a db. I'm not sure a child younger than 9 has all of that. Be very careful.

I agree db acquisition is more ability and awareness based than age etc. But with that said, and I dont know how old your child is but I've seen kids as young as 6 or 7 being pushed to quickly to train them. Sometimes it's more an overzealous coach than it is the kid's ability to get that skill. Timing and mental awareness as well as great air sense play a role in doing a db. I'm not sure a child younger than 9 has all of that. Be very careful.
Thank you for the suggestion and words of caution.

My DD started working them on tramp at 9. Now 12 tumble track on to mat. Doesn't "have" them yet.

Reactions: sce
Kids were doing them in 2008 at JOs and they were definitely under 12...they weren't all that common and you saw double twists more often, but they were being done.

Sorry, I should have made more clear that I'm not talking about the USA.

In my country, real spring floors have become more popular in the last 5-10 years. Almost all of the higher level clubs have them now, but it was a different story not that long ago (But still, the top junior gymnast in our country comes from a club with no spring floor o_O) Maybe that's part of the reason we have never had young kids compete double backs. You really need springs to get up in the air if you are only 10 and tiny.

My daughter competed a double back all her level 9 season. She turned 10 November of level 9 season so I assume she learned it summer before at age 9. I’m unsure when or how long they trained before getting it though. I do know it didn’t help her much for level 9 because there isn’t a bonus for it like their is in level 10. I still don’t understand all of the bonus stuff!!! She competed the double back because she was struggling with twisting and could flip better.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back