Coaches Double layout off rings

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Geoffrey Taucer

Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Gymnast
I've recently started training rings again, and I'm trying to get a double layout (hardest dismount I've done before is a double tuck). I've heard some coaches say that the technique is different for a double lay than for a double tuck, but I've never heard much explanation of how it's different.

What do I need to know to teach myself a double layout? My double tuck is pretty decent, and I can do it in a fairly open tuck and land it no problem, but I can't get enough rotation when I lay it out.

Last edited:
Hate to plug it, but there seems to be more MAG over at drillsandskills.com

I tried to sign up for the forums there a week ago, and still haven't gotten the confirmation/registration e-mail.

Work straight body shoot to support this is helpful for the height feeling and strength.
During a double tuck you should hold onto and keep pressing on the rings until the first rotation is almost complete (the same goes for a double layout). As the rings are released an aggressive push off the rings will add height and rotation. Squeeze your butt and hamstrings inward to the point they are burning. lift your shoulders up and back.

Hope some of this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can do a straight body shoot to support, and have been working a shoot to support followed by a support-flyaway (all with straight body), but when I try to turn that into a double layout, it just doesn't seem to happen.

I guess what I really want to know is how and when do I throw the rings? At what point in the first flip (2/3? 3/4?) does the throw actually occur, and should I be throwing them out to the side or up and back or forward and down or what? Obviously I should be throwing the rings downward, but what direction is that relative to my body as I'm flipping?

Out and down, and as late in the first rotation as you possibly can.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back