WAG Dowel Grips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Okay, so first of all I am in xcel silver. Do you guys think I should buy a pair of dowel grips? no one on my team has them, but we all want them and we just don't know how our coaches would feel about them. My team and I all agree it would be a really good idea to start getting used to them early so when we actually need them we would already be comfortable with them. Anyways do you know any xcel gymnast who has dowel grips? do they like them? is it better?

Thanks,
Katie :D

Only your coach can answer this question. They are expensive and it would not be good to get them and then be told you cannot use them.

okay thanks,:) I guess I will just ask my coach tonight at practice.

And I know this is off topic but what are the point of palm grips?

To protect your hands.

I'm not 100% sure what all the skills are in Xcel Silver, but I think there's a kip? Usually (from what I've seen, anyways) gymnasts start wearing grips around the time when they have their kips and/or skills like giants, fly-aways, sole-circles. But yep, if you have NO idea what your coaches think, then I assume they haven't been thought about much, or else they would have mentioned them to your group at least once or twice. Good idea to ask. :)

I don't know any Xcel gymnasts (as I'm in Canada, and we have different programs), but grips are a matter of preference. Some people can't do bars without them, and others prefer to feel the bar directly with their hands. Dowel grips help you hold on better, hence the name. <-- That's what they say, anyways. :rolleyes: I don't have actual grips yet, but I've tried them, and they feel really weird, but I've been told you'll get used to them soon, since it needs to be "broken in". They do help with holding on though, 'specially the swinging skills. But I can't say if they're better.

Palm grips are like beginner grips. They don't help you hold on better or anything. They just are an added layer of protection for your hands. They do bunch up a lot though, which is annoying. Maybe ask your coach about tape grips? They're just "grips" made from athletic tape and do help protect your hands and give you a bit of an idea of how actual grips feel. Good luck! :D

okayy, so the biggest things that are in my routine are (1) a kip (2) sole circle (3) long hang kip (4) flyaway. And i think it would be a good idea to get a better grip on the bar, especially since bars is my strongest and my favorite event. :)

and another good thing is since i'm not doing any big swinging stuff like giants i wont have too buy a very expensive pair so instead of it being about $40-$50, it will only be around $35-$40 :D

My older sister used to be in gymnastics but she quit for volleyball and she used too have a pair of palm grips, so she gave them too me because they fit me perfectly. Anyway when i rip really bad me or my coaches make a pair of tape grips and i just put the palm grips over the tapped ones. So i do have some experience with tape grips.

so yeah i'll ask my coach

thanks everyone so much,
Katie :)

The best way to know how your coach would feel about you getting grips is to ask.

since i'm not doing any big swinging stuff like giants i wont have too buy a very expensive pair so instead of it being about $40-$50, it will only be around $35-$40

Can someone explain this to me? I thought dowel grips were dowel grips, didn't realise there were different 'tiers' for different skills...

Well when i was looking on my gyms website (because they sell grips), on one of the grips the caption was like long break in time heavy swinging very strong strip of leather, and the other grips caption said something like easy swinging, quicker break in time, and stuff like that and since i'm not doing any release moves or giants and stuff like that I can get the easy swing ones. Just inferring that getting the easier ones might be a better idea. Makes sense?

So the more advanced gymnasts need grips with tougher leather, but they take longer to break in?

Yeah, thats what the website said. I guess it's so they last longer because the more advanced gymnasts are training longer and doing more difficult stuff.

Well, grips are supposed to last you at least a couple years, unless you want to spend more $$$ each time you move up. I think the "different tiers" of dowel grips, is sort of like this:

-Thick grips often with two pieces of leather joined together. They're supposedly more rigid (doesn't over stretch and become distorted from all the swinging) and offer more protection. :confused: Kind of confused...These are used with higher levels.
-"Regular" grips. Having a hard time trying to describe.
-"Beginner" dowel grips. They're more narrow and they feel kind of thinner too (could just be me. I'm kind of biased and thought they're thinner hence the name when I tried on a pair :rolleyes:).

@20gymnast13, if you are worried about the breaking in time, wait 'till off season. Your coaches might not let you compete with the grips just right now yet anyways (My coach says sometimes you need to "re-learn" skills with grips on...:eek:). Getting the easy-swing ones seem like a better idea since the leather won't be as rigid and will be easier to get used to (just common sense). But remember, $10 isn't really that much big of a difference price wise, since grips get used for a while. Maybe consult your coach again. Good luck!!

didn't even think about that, how different it's gonna be to do my routine with the grips. It probably will be easier. I'll just have too find out i guess. Oh, and when i was looking online for the grips, it said something about a grip brush. What is that for? Does it make the grip last longer? If I do get the grips do you think it's a good idea to buy that too? Thanks, katie

Well, grips are supposed to last you at least a couple years

My grips never lasted two years. It really depends on how much you weigh and how hard you swing. When I got older...I got new grips about every 3 months.

didn't even think about that, how different it's gonna be to do my routine with the grips. It probably will be easier. I'll just have too find out i guess. Oh, and when i was looking online for the grips, it said something about a grip brush. What is that for? Does it make the grip last longer? If I do get the grips do you think it's a good idea to buy that too? Thanks, katie
I found grips really hard to adjust to. It's not relearning skills so much as having the confidence to perform them. I was petrified of them therefore wasn't performing my skills properly. Also your gym should have a grip brush if it's what I'm thinking of. (A metal brush) Let someone with experience use it. I know you're excited by the prospect of grips but slow down and trust that your coaches know the best course for you. If you're not entirely sure about their judgement/knowledge tactfully talk to another coach about their experiences with introducing grips to their girls.

Well, grips are supposed to last you at least a couple years, unless you want to spend more $$$ each time you move up. I think the "different tiers" of dowel grips, is sort of like this:

-Thick grips often with two pieces of leather joined together. They're supposedly more rigid (doesn't over stretch and become distorted from all the swinging) and offer more protection. :confused: Kind of confused...These are used with higher levels.
-"Regular" grips. Having a hard time trying to describe.
-"Beginner" dowel grips. They're more narrow and they feel kind of thinner too (could just be me. I'm kind of biased and thought they're thinner hence the name when I tried on a pair :rolleyes:).

@20gymnast13, if you are worried about the breaking in time, wait 'till off season. Your coaches might not let you compete with the grips just right now yet anyways (My coach says sometimes you need to "re-learn" skills with grips on...:eek:). Getting the easy-swing ones seem like a better idea since the leather won't be as rigid and will be easier to get used to (just common sense). But remember, $10 isn't really that much big of a difference price wise, since grips get used for a while. Maybe consult your coach again. Good luck!!

NO! this is wrong.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back