WAG Dreaming of optional beam routine

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LindyHopper

Proud Parent
Short Stack is dreaming of next year, which will hopefully be her first season as an optional gymnast (no clue if she'll compete 6 or go straight to 7). She is thinking a lot about her beam routine and wants to mount with a press handstand. From what I understand, this is a B skill. If she did Level 6, her one and only B skill would be her mount, and out of the way almost immediately. She and HC were talking about it last night.
I have very little knowledge of, and no experience with optional gymnastics. How uncommon would it be for a Level 6 to mount beam with a press handstand?

Thanks.

Most level 6s do a "get on the beam quickly" mount, but you see some
mounting with a press handstand. I'd guess about 10% of the level 6s I've judged do a press mount (mostly from specific gyms). She's also allowed to have more than one B. A split jump is a B, so it's quite likely she'd have 2 Bs in her routine.

We've seen a couple of press mounts this year in L6. They are very pretty when executed well. With that being said, I would only suggest competing it, if it is VERY very solid and well executed. Perfectly straight legs, pointed toes, and pretty much little to no risk of falling. I saw a girl fall on a press mount and it was a shame because the rest of the routine was lovely and doing a fancy mount is not worth taking a fall.

We've seen mostly switch mounts, but have saw a few split mounts, now those are also very pretty and seem a little less risky.

The "safest" B skill for beam would be the split jump of course. But a press mount is very impressive if done well!

DD doesn't do a press mount, she does a split mount, it's what she wanted. That said, she has more skills in her routine than we typically see other 6s do. I don't know the values of all her skills, but I assume she does more than one B. She does a BHS, FHS, split jump, and leap connected to a tuck jump. Her dismount is a cartwheel BT.

DD loved to make up beam routines! They all wanted press handstand mounts, and even though it was solid, HC said it was "too risky" Much safer B options. YDD still has a B mount but it is more of a hold

Beam is NOT my ODD strength and so she does a very stripped down routine. They each have a "backup" B but not lots of other fun stuff. The routines they make up at home are much more elaborate!

Is there any quick & dirty (read: free and "unofficial", yet semi-accurate) table of skills out there that someone can point me toward?

Is there any quick & dirty (read: free and "unofficial", yet semi-accurate) table of skills out there that someone can point me toward?
The best "list" I have seen out there is one put together by Emeth Gym to educate their parents. Just do a search for "Emeth Gym-Skills Defined." This was posted in 2013 so the info is pretty good. Hopefully this is what you had in mind for "free and semi-accurate." :)

Also find the level 6-8 cheat sheet on USAG's website. Lots of good info.

I kind of agree, but she was dreaming about it on Monday. I don't think HC would let her if it weren't competition ready. I was surprised that they were talking about it last night, when they still have 2 level 5 meets (including states) left this season.
Just my 2 cents: my DD originally had a press mount in her beam routine. I thought it looked great. She has a nice press with good form, but her scores on beam went up by several tenths when she took it out. The cleaner the routine, the better the score.

DD doesn't do a press mount, she does a split mount, it's what she wanted. That said, she has more skills in her routine than we typically see other 6s do. I don't know the values of all her skills, but I assume she does more than one B. She does a BHS, FHS, split jump, and leap connected to a tuck jump. Her dismount is a cartwheel BT.
BHS, FHS, and Split jump are all B skills.

Short Stack is dreaming of next year, which will hopefully be her first season as an optional gymnast (no clue if she'll compete 6 or go straight to 7). She is thinking a lot about her beam routine and wants to mount with a press handstand. From what I understand, this is a B skill. If she did Level 6, her one and only B skill would be her mount, and out of the way almost immediately. She and HC were talking about it last night.
I have very little knowledge of, and no experience with optional gymnastics. How uncommon would it be for a Level 6 to mount beam with a press handstand?

Thanks.
Hi Lindy,
We are in exactly the same boat. My 8 yo DD just finished her L 5 season and looking to go L 7. She loves those press handstand mounts!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back