WAG Dressing during practice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Jard.the.gymnast

Coach
Gymnast
Does your gym allow gymnasts to wear shorts during workouts? Why do or don't they?

Do they allow kids to wear leggings instead of shorts?

Do they allow the girls to wear sport bras or crop tops with shorts when It is hot?

Do they have any other requirements, like hair in a bun?

Just out of curiosity

Our girls wear leos, and I think they can wear shorts/leggings. They are not allowed to wear crop tops or sports bras only. Only leos on top.

Same. Only leos. I get the idea that they don't want the girls to wear and get used to shorts during practice bc then it's diff for comp, but I am sympathetic to the older girls who really want them when they get their periods.

Never leggings, never crop top and shorts.

As for hair, has to be neat and out of the way, but one Eastern European coach kept bugging DD about her hair (curly and often falling out of her pony) so she caved and now does a messy bun with three hair ties every day.

Current gym has the *imo* strange rule that girls must wear leos only except high school girls may wear shorts. Leggings and long sleeve shirts are allowed during warm up. Being in a sports bra only really sends everyone into a tizzy, which my DD learned the hard way- her old gym allowed them to work out in a sports bra and shorts. She pulled her leo down one day to put on a T-shirt and everyone freaked. She thought they were all a bit crazy. Ha. We’ve been at gyms that never allowed anything other than a leo (only) and it made my DD uncomfortable during her time of the month. We’ve also been to gyms where no one really wore leos ever, and it took something away imo.

They strongly encourage leo only for practice. Some of the older girls do sometime wear shorts. I've never seen leggings- except when it was super cold in the gym for early morning practice. Then they were allowed to start in leggings. I've never seen anything but a leo on top. No hair requirement for practice- just out of the way.

Leos only. Never thought much about it until recently as my daughter is getting closer and closer to her first period and she is getting more and more apprenehensive about it. :/

Team girls wear leos and may wear snug fitting shorts or leggings. Some of the teens used to wear tight fitting athletic tops (full length) with gymnastics shorts, but I haven't seen that in a couple of years. When it is cold, they sometimes wear a tee-shirt or sweatshirt for warm-up.

We were allowed to wear two-piece leos (essentially gym shorts and a sports bra type top) for about a hot second before the coaches realized it wasn't going to work the same way on the high schoolers as on the little kids.

Leggings and sweatshirts were OK for warm-up but had to be taken off by the time we went to our first event, most of the time. Shorts were OK but I believe that if the coaches realized someone was wearing shorts to every single practice, they'd ask them to go without in preparation for meets.

Leo only, shorts or leggings during conditioning only, hair in bun. Girls that wear bra's must make sure no part of the bra shows - yes at regular practice.

Leos only. Most gyms in the area allow shorts - some leggings. Leos only looks a lot more "professional" for lack of a better word. NEVER a sports bra and shorts - however gyms with cheer teams do allow the cheerleaders to wear that. As DD gets older, I do kind of wish they could wear shorts - maybe black only versus all the crazy patterns that don't match their leos? I don't know why the rules are as they are - the leo only gym is much more organized, clean, etc. I'm guessing the other gyms just never bothered with making a rule - or cleaning the gym, but that's another issue :(

Leo only, shorts or leggings during conditioning only, hair in bun. Girls that wear bra's must make sure no part of the bra shows - yes at regular practice.
I can understand no bras showing during practice. We don't have that rule and a few of the older girls didn't seem to get it when competition season came around.

Leo, shorts are allowed as are leggings. Pretty much everyone over the age of 9/10 wears shorts as a general rule. There doesn't seem to be any issues with competing without shorts, we have a mock meet or two before season starts where they run routines in their comp leo and that's the only time they can't wear shorts. I like how they handle it.

They are not allowed to practice in sports bras. When there people in sports bras in the gym, you can safely assume they are dancers taking private lessons.

Leo and booty shorts. Except during meet week, when it is leo only. Hair must be out of the way in a secured fashion.

The boys have recently started working out topless. It threw my dd the first time she literally bumped into a boy coming down the tumble strip and he didn't have a shirt on. But I told her that tshirts can be difficult for upside down and most boys don't train in unitards, so she is cool with it now. Some of the parents are not so cool with it.

Leo and booty shorts. Except during meet week, when it is leo only. Hair must be out of the way in a secured fashion.

The boys have recently started working out topless. It threw my dd the first time she literally bumped into a boy coming down the tumble strip and he didn't have a shirt on. But I told her that tshirts can be difficult for upside down and most boys don't train in unitards, so she is cool with it now. Some of the parents are not so cool with it.

Our boys are not allowed to train topless. Ever. THey wear tight fitting tank tops and have no trouble with it. Under Armour, GK, or even just Hanes/Fruit of the Loom white tanks. It is against the gym's child abuse prevention policy to allow any kids to be topless (thus why girls cannot wear just sports bras)

Most of the older boys work out shirtless. The coach, however, gets really mad at them if they show up in shorts that have pockets, and if they don't have pommel pants, they get to do pommels in shorts and suffer the associated extra bruising. Girls wear leos but can wear gym shorts if they like and can start warmups in legging if they're cold. No one cares if a sports bra strap shows.

No shorts, unless they have a reason to....my girls were in the car the other night wondering what on earth would be a good reason lol. they're 12 and don't have their periods yet.
Sports bras and shorts are only okay in sweltering summer heat but as they get older they're less likely to wear them.
Shirts and leggings for warm up only if they're the first ones in the gym in the afternoon and it's chilly.

We have the same rules of no bra tops/sports bras only (but not a big deal to have a sports bra show under a leo) and no shirtless boys. The owners explained they enforce that rule to be equal to both genders and to show some modesty. I really like that rule and I really liked that it was explained to us.
We also have a no booty shorts on Friday or meet week, as others mentioned above, which I believe is to ensure the girls are used to leo only for their meets.

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back