drills for free hips and back handsprings i can do at home

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

i was wondering if there was any drills i could do at home to improve/get my free hip handstands on bars and my back handsprings on beam?

for my free hips i am trying to get to handstand but my coach says im not pulling early enough to get to handstand. so any drills to help with that.
for my back handsprings, i go really high and kind of rush through them. so drills to help with that too.

both these skills i have been working on for quite a while and they are the last skills i need to move up a level and i am determined to get them. so again any drills i could do at home would be great.

thanks in advance

Last edited:
Well as a parent I don't think those skills should be practiced outside of a gym environment. But I'm sure the coaches here will have some conditioning exercises that will build the muscles etc you need to get better at them.

Well as a parent I don't think those skills should be practiced outside of a gym environment. But I'm sure the coaches here will have some conditioning exercises that will build the muscles etc you need to get better at them.

yes i agree but im not talking about like doing something dangerous but like just something easy i could do like hollow body hold etc.

http://usa-gymnastics.org/home/publications/usagymnastics/1997/2/coachingcorner_giantswing.pdf

http://usa-gymnastics.org/home/publications/technique/2001/1/successfulbars.pdf

hollow body hold and rock outlives it's usefulness at the beginning levels. well, it's a shape/position that should never be forgotten but it isn't intense enough conditioning past a certain point.

the lever ups are good for the free hip. body levers are good too

GymnasticBodies.com • View topic - Body Levers - A Simultaneous Abdominal & Lower Back Work

Push-pulls. Get one of those swiss balls. Put your shins on it. Now you can either put heavy DumbBells on the ground and hold onto those or your hands. Lean into the planche forward as much as possible then push back to a stretched hollow ( like an inverted hollow hold except stomach facing the wall ). You can also use a floor bar with these drills and a small octagon at gym. More stable than the swiss balls, however that's part of the fun of it.

Working downward pulls and upwards pulls with bungee tubing is another good form of those push-pulls. Hold the tubing overhead while standing and pull down to your hips. Start it with your hands at your hips and pull up to overhead. These can also be down lying down.

You can also work the same positions with one of those ab-wheels of death. The little wheels with a hand hold on each side.

The only drills I know for BHS on BB are the panel mat drills where you jump to BHS on top of the them ( going uphill ). I would not want to hear of a gymnast working these at home though due to form concerns and safety.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back