MAG Drills for kip on p/bars

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
C

coachinkal

I need to teach a kip on p/bars.

My son can kip on highbar. He can glide kip on the girls bar and long hang kip on h/bar.

Last year his p/bar routine started with two long swings, one upper arm swing to kip pump out to straddle. This year he needs a glide kip to front support at the start of the routine.

Does anyone have any drills for kip on p/bars.

What are the differences between the kipping motion on p/bars compared to the h/bar.

In general, I teach a kip on p-bars as more of a swing than a "kipping" action, since the swing makes an intuitive kip happen. I drill the glide to basket hang, and then work swings from basket to support. The necessary "kip" will beging when he feels his body naturally rise and begin to open on its own.

You will see this swing action happen again, and be useful for, stalders, casts, endos, peach baskets, and numerous other skills...

If he is having trouble rising up, dips will help strengthen the triceps, and thera-bands/bungies can be used for the shoulder/rotator action.

He can swing to basket but it is the basket to front support that is the problem.

What exercises do you recommend with the bands?

At what time does he stop pulling and start pushing. Is it when he is making the transition from under the bar to on top of the bar?

Out of curiosity how much clearance would you think is ok from his knees to the mat when he is long swinging, given that he has to change into a glide? I have to share the p/bars with all the levels and have to move them up and down. Ours are not that easy to adjust. At the moment there is mimimal clearance ie; 2 inches max. This means the glide is in quite a tight L.

Really, I don't quite know how to answer you question about the long swing.. I would just teach a glide, even if it is a little piked for right now... You can always elongate the swing later.. or do what you need.. this is one that you will just have to be creative with.

As for the pulling/pushing question - I still suggest you just think of the kip as a swing. Swing from the basket to the support position, and those questions will answer themselves. It isn't like a kip on a single bar - you should end up with your hands past your hips, which would normally be impossible with a bar in the way, so the pressure is constantly downward from the get-go.

With therabands, depending on where you have them set up, I would do conditioning for straight arm pull downs, like the arm action on a kip. If he can do the kip on high-bar, he probably has the strength required for the kip on p-bars, and all the therabands will be doing is re-enforcing the action without added load. If possible, he should keep pressing as far behind him as possible so that his hands are behind his back.

From a basket, swing with a spot until he feels the "open" action and use that natural motion to help open for the kip. It's a swinging skill, in my opinion, a lot less than a strength skill. If he can compress well, and turn over completely for that basket, the swing will carry him and he will feel how to increase the energy needed to complete the kip. Then it's a matter of pushing the bar behind him and keeping his hips up (again, something that will come with learning the swing motion, and conditioning positions).

Practice the positions, and the skill will build itself. I think the finishing of the kip is the hardest part, seeing that you need to swing out of it, and the tendency for most learners is to drop their feet down once they feel pressure on their hands.

Maybe Im just not explaining it clearly... maybe another coach will chime in and give their opinion on it...

Thanks for that.

I have been able to spot him, but it is hard work.

From what you are saying looks like he needs to carry through the momentum of the swing much more. Will work on this.

Drill a huge basket swing. Gymnastics Video Display

You can also work glide kip to L on a single rail. Sometimes called a jam, old school. Basically glide and instead of bringing the toes to the bar, bring them under the bar while pushing and ending up in an L support on a single rail. You can also train this by doing glide kip to stride support like a mill circle by shooting one leg through and ending up in a stride support.

Drop kips on a single rail or PB are another good drill.

Gliding in a tight L will encourage L strength besides compression.

the kip on PB is based off a glide kip while a HB kip is more of a long hang kip.

I prefer teaching the glide kip before the long hang kip. Maybe it's just coming from coaching compulsory WAG before MAG.

Thanks for that, will give these a try tomorrow.

I also prefer to teach a glide kip before a long hang kip. The boys always do their drills and learn the kip on the girls bar then take it to the high bar. I found it was easier to teach a long swing into a part glide kip anyway. They seemed to have too much speed with the swing if it wasn't slowed down with a degree of glide first.

My DS got the kip on p/bars tonight.

We were finally able to widen the p/bars (p/bars needed to be greased as they were stuck!) and bingo, no problem with kip at all. He did it without a spot at all!

His shoulders have become a lot wider and the p/bars were not wide enough to swing freely through.

Very happy week as a coach as one of the other boys I coach got his glide kip, on high bar, yeh!

Cool. TheGymnasticsMinute just recently had a few videos on the PB kip besides Dan Connelly doing one on not letting the legs swing down on the glide kip.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back