WAG Dry Needling

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymbeam

Proud Parent
Dry Needling is being recommended as part of PT for my 12-year-old daughter's Erector Spinae. Naturally, she is not wanting to try it.

I'm not sure how much I'm going to work on convincing her do it, so I'm hoping to hear from you all about how your kids may have handled it and if you felt it was worth it. Or, even stories about your own experiences with it would be helpful.

Although her proposed treatments would be in her lower back, any thoughts on this type of therapy in general would be greatly appreciated. I need to decide if I want to push this issue or not.

Thanks!

My daughter does not do it. But I have heard great things about it, especially when it involves the back! Maybe some others will chime in...

I love it, my dd has watched and it's been rather useful to convince her to do her pt exercises [emoji23] (worried I'd make her do needling). At 12, I'd let her make the decision, but I'd bribe the heck out of her to just try it once. It is worth it, definitely.

I know that it is not exactly the same but I had IMS in my back while I was training.
It is definitely not comfortable to get done, and was often sore for a day or 2 afterwards but then j always felt so much better. For me the couple minutes of pain was well worth the couple weeks of relief.

I would try and convince her into trying it at least a couple times to see if it helps, if she doesn't like it she doesn't have to do it again.

Chances are she is making it out to be way worse in her head than it actually will be.

Dry Needling is being recommended as part of PT for my 12-year-old daughter's Erector Spinae. Naturally, she is not wanting to try it.

I'm not sure how much I'm going to work on convincing her do it, so I'm hoping to hear from you all about how your kids may have handled it and if you felt it was worth it. Or, even stories about your own experiences with it would be helpful.

Although her proposed treatments would be in her lower back, any thoughts on this type of therapy in general would be greatly appreciated. I need to decide if I want to push this issue or not.

Thanks!
If you are talking about trigger point dry needling, then I think it may be helpful.
I had trigger point "injections" in my neck after a concussion (when we found out I had actually torn some muscle fibers at the same time). It was actually not injections because I am allergic to local anesthetics, so he did a dry needling version - didnt even inject saline (an option he considered). It worked great. I am doing so much better.
My brother is getting ready to have the same thing done in his upper and lower back.

My dd had it done when she pulled her hamstring last year. She said it felt great. It was to release the trigger points and speed up healing. I'd say it was worth it
And my kid is not a fan of needles at all but she did this with no problem

Thanks, all. I *think* I have her convinced with the promise of new slime supplies.

Lol that would be an effective bribe in my house too.
None if my kids have needed it, but I had it done regularly for a few months for a back muscle injury (lower back). I didn't find it too uncomfortable although occasionally a needle would hit a sore spot. After the first few times I felt so much better immediately after the treatment. Totally worth it for me.

DD handled acupuncture just fine (just the needles) but hated the dry needling with electric current that she had done after tearing her quad tendon. She said it helped but hurt while being done.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back