MAG DS wants to try Crossfit......any thoughts?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

munchkin3

Proud Parent
My 14 YO 'sunshine' really wants to try Crossfit in addition to gym. He wants to add something new and exciting. I'm not opposed, but besides the safety, and the appropriateness (I found a reputable place, with guys his age) are there any pitfalls I need to look out for?
Besides, there has been A LOT of give and take this year with him. I guess the teenage rebellion has started.....

I've done it and it's a lot of fun. It's a great atmosphere, with everyone in there really encouraging each other. With good coaches, they'll stick to good form, which should reduce the risk of injury.

Good exercise and good camaraderie with a good cross section of people. There were people from all walks of life in there, which is good for getting out of your own little bubble of people in similar situations (neighborhood, school, work, etc).

If you have a reputable gym that takes care of its athletes it should be fine-be careful of the tendency for crossfit to encourage too many reps and look up the connection between crossfit and rhabdo.

We made a deal, he wouldn't quit gymnastics, if he could add a little crossfit to his week. So we take away two gym days, add two crossfit........
He says he likes it because it is LIKE gymnastics but with no rules! lol!!!!! He is in for a surprise!

Watch out! It's addictive ;)
As long as it's a good gym, with good coaches that care about technique and progression he'll be fine..... Same as anything else I suppose!
It's a great sport for gymnasts :)

I am female and did crossfit. I brought my then 11 year old daughter. It is everything wallinbi stated, great camaraderie, emphasis on good form (in fact they borrow some techniques from gymnastics), great workout and great supportive environment. Make sure however, you research the gym. Crossfit has been popping up all over. While the owners have the training and franchise rights, there have been less than qualified operations that sell membership at a very discounted rate and have semi trained people coach the class. In any event, it could be a confidence booster as gymnasts will be able to do all the exercises better than majority of the members, old and young.

My oldest retired from gym and moved in to Crossfit a year ago. Never a complaint about going and despite the drop in training hours, he maintains the same physique. He loves his coaching staff and, the work outs that I look at and say OMG!!! to, he laughs and says "Looks like fun!" Only suggestions would be ensure you are at a Crossfit facility with a Crossfit kids certification and that runs a separate teen program. Some gyms have the teens do scaled versions of the adult WOD's. A good box will have separate programing. CF Competitions are a lot of fun too. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back