Off Topic Dwts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

dmytv

Coach
I really hate this show and wish USAG would stop promoting this show. I don't care if a former gymnast was dancing on this show. This is not gymnastics.

I think they are more or less promoting the opportunities it brings for gymnasts. Most people only care about gymnastics during this Olympics, this brings a ton of increased exposure to gymnastics allowing them to reach a level of celebrity they might not get otherwise. So I guess it's good for USAG that they are promoting one of their own rather than totally ignoring her. No, it's not gymnastics and likely it isn't doing anything to promote kids giving gymnastics a try, but it's creating opportunities for these kids that might not otherwise be available.
It's not like they are spending big money or lots of resources to promote Aly or the show, just a few tweets and pictures, so why not? If it were taking away from other USAG programs I would be right there with you, but it doesn't seem to be distracting anyone from other things during a somewhat slow time of the year. So I say good for Aly and good for
USAG for standing behind her.

DWTS is an offshoot of our programme Strictly Come Dancing, Bruno and Len are on ours too. This years champion was Louis Smith, our Olympic mens gymnast and we also have Dancing on Ice - the skating equivilent and Beth Tweddle won that - BG used both programmes to boost the coverage of Gymnastics and it has kept gymnastics in the media and helped get more interest in gymnastics at grass roots level.

I'm surprised you are upset. Why wouldn't USAG enjoy the publicity when one of their gold medal winning athletes is on national TV every week? Aly is not a "former" gymnast, she IS a gymnast and may return to training after the show. They promoted the show when Shawn was on too. US figure skating promoted Kristi Yamaguchi and she won her gold years before she competed. Its a family friendly show and promotes a healthy active activity.

I'm surprised you are upset. Why wouldn't USAG enjoy the publicity when one of their gold medal winning athletes is on national TV every week? Aly is not a "former" gymnast, she IS a gymnast and may return to training after the show. They promoted the show when Shawn was on too. US figure skating promoted Kristi Yamaguchi and she won her gold years before she competed. Its a family friendly show and promotes a healthy active activity.
not upset, just mildly annoyed. I just don't get why watching ballroom is enjoyable. I think if they wanted to promote gymnastics they would be better served to promote college gymnastics or national / international competitions.

College gym and national competitions are not on TV every week with millions of viewers. This promotion all about getting people into the gyms and free advertising.

Well, my guess is that many (not all, don't jump down my throat) of the general viewing population of that show probably feels the same about gymnastics as you do about ballroom. Why watch that? What's enjoyable about that? And we all get up in arms when people say those kinds of things about us. Just see that "Gymnastics is not a sport threads".

Now I agree that the show is over the top and a little annoying, but no one can deny that it has a huge and active audience.
I say anything that promotes this sport and brings new people to the audience or participant pool is a good thing. Go Aly!

this show has done more for gymnastics and more than almost any other media. :)

I really hate this show and wish USAG would stop promoting this show. I don't care if a former gymnast was dancing on this show. This is not gymnastics.

The more times everyday Americans see Aly or Shawn or Nastia or Kyla, McCayla or Gabbie etc. the better it is for gymnastics. USAG should ride this train all the way down the tracks.

I haven't found a person yet who wouldn't want their own daughter to grow up and be as great of a person as Aly. Obviously she has great parents, but gymnastics is who she has been since she was very young. She is intelligent, sweet, sincere, competitive, determined,etc. She is promoting gymnastics through dancing and the huge array of benefits that come from it.

There are families watching that are saying "Aly is awesome and she got that way from being a gymnast. Maybe we should sign Suzie up for gymnastics".

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back