Dyslexia and gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Okay, my daughter is dyslexic and her coach seems to be worried (or frustrated I am not sure) that she is having so much trouble learning her routines. She wants her to practice at home but she can't remember them so that's next to impossible!

I have asked for a private lesson and to film her routines so she can watch them at home, I am still waiting on the coach's response.

Any other dyslexic children having difficulty putting it all together? I know she will succeed but I am afraid she is getting discouraged along the way.

Advice anyone?

Thanks!:confused:

You can purchase a video from USAG that has the compulsory routines. Often it is mostly a matter of repetition, especially making sure that she turns in the right direction each time so private lessons and at home practice should certainly help! Good luck.

When my gymmie did compulsories, she had a teammate who had a form of dyslexia. So, the coach had this girl go behind my gymmie for floor and beam(they were both lefties) and she learned the routines that way. Also most coaches break the routines down into 1/3s or 1/4s and everyone learns the 1st 1/3 then they move on.

I'm dyslexic and did dance as a child. I was actually very good but had to have the steps broken down and shown to me not just told to me. someone would stand in front of me and go slowly so I got it.

USAG also has the routines on DVD for a reasonable price but most gyms I know of have that DVD in their office maybe they could let you borrow it for awhile.

Our coach will happily let us record the routines at gym, we just ask first. You shouldn't have to pay for a private to do this, just explain about the dyslexia and your daughters learning style and I am sure she will co-operate.

There are no videos that the OP can buy of her DD's routines as they are are optional. My DD did CR3 as well, the skills remain the same, but the routines change.

Years ago I coached a girl who was dyslexic. We put colored rubber band around her left wrist and left ankle. She was able to learn the routines (and other skills~particularly dance) because she would associate the rubber band with 'left'. It seemed to help a lot.

She ended up doing quite well, up to and competing level 7, when she decided to do other sports.

I never actually thought about it but now that you mention it ....it makes sense!
I always attributed DS delay in learning the routines to ADHD!! He is also VERY dyslexic!!
Sometimes he has to learn things in a different order first and then change it around later....weird!

What an interesting subject!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back