WAG East Coast Travel Meets

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

reluctant

Proud Parent
Our gym usually going to one fly away meet per year and I was not too excited about the location we went to this year. (The meet was fine.) What are some of the big East Coast meets that you all like and would travel for. I know about the ones in Atlanta. Anything in DC or Philly or Chicago? OK, not the east coast I know.

Chicago- Chicago Style

Philly- Pink

DC- ?? We are in northern Va and don’t have any meets in DC at all. Sorry!

Chicago is not east coast lol

I know. That's why I said above I know it's not on the East Coast. :) But it's a place I am willing to go because Chicago is awesome. I am just tired of going two or three time zones away, because we just don't have time to adjust before competing. We live in the Eastern Time Zone.

Myrtle Beach Cup
Charleston Cup--has exciting team competition
City of Lights Invitational--Orlando
Presidential Classic--Florida
Gatlinburg Classic--TN
Ozone Invitational--TN
Mahattan Classic--NY
Elevate the Stage--Augusta, GA (this year)
There's one in Cincinnati. I think there is one in Atlantic City.

Cincinnati is the Coaches Spectacular and is usually a Nastia Liukin qualifier. Buckeye Classic is also a great meet and had typically been a qualifier but wasn’t this year.

Christmas on the Chesapeake - Baltimore

Excalibur Cup - Virginia Beach

(Random aside: I was in the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area last week for business and I saw a TV commercial for Excalibur gymnastics. I don't think I have ever seen a gym advertised on television before).

Whitlow/Sand Dollar Invitational in Florida.

Tampa Bay Turners Invitational. That meet has been getting bigger every year it seems.

Circle of Stars in Indianapolis. Huge meet, free admissions, very well run. On Eastern Standard Time so no time change to adjust to.

Kupets Pink Invitational (as an optional). They have multiple locations for this meet based on level - the optionals compete in the civic center in historic Savannah, GA (Savannah and also close to the beach - a win, win).
Charleston Cup (already mentioned) is also great.

Excalibur was big and very well run. Fastest awards we’ve ever seen. That’s a huge plus in my book! :D

Yes to a short awards session! We were the last session on Friday night there and my DD was still competing on beam when normally she would have been in bed asleep. So when awards got started at 9:00, I was not looking forward to having to sit through another hour or more for medals. But we were done and out by 9:30ish. In my opinion every meet should run it like Excalibur, or cut back on number of medals given.

This isn’t about East Coast meets, but we attended an awards session this year where Xcel was combined with L9 and L10.
So it went:
Vault Xcel Gold
Vault Xcel Platinum
Vault Xcel Diamond
Vault L9 Jr A
Vault L9 Jr B
Vault Sr. Whatever
Vault L10

Start over at the beginning with Bars.

I think it took 2 hours.

Chicago- Chicago Style

Philly- Pink

DC- ?? We are in northern Va and don’t have any meets in DC at all. Sorry!

My own definition of "DC" is around the Beltway, so I will add to the mix the Hills Maryland Classic Meet at the Prince Georges County Sports Complex (which is right off the Beltway in the DC area). Really nice meet, impressive venue, great competition, Sat. night event finals, and meet takes place over the long MLK weekend in January. We visit DC when we go to this meet and see sites, AND there is usually a college gymnastics meet that weekend in DC too that is fun to go watch!!

As someone also mentioned, the East Coast Classic is in the DC area, mid-February, and is at the same really nice venue as Hills. I haven't been to that meet, however.

Classic on the Hill is actually in DC, but not sure it's one worth traveling a long distance to other than location. I think for competition and cost you are better off going to one in the broader DC area and just taking a trip to the city. Hills and East Coast Classic are the big ones. Not many big meets on the Virginia side of DC.
Christmas on the Chesapeake is right in Baltimore with tons to do right in that area. You can also take the metro for a day trip to DC. It's an early season meet, but lots of competition.
Pink is probably the big one in the Philly area.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back