WAG Elite Compulsory

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Muddlethru

Proud Parent
Does a gymnast have to do her elite compulsory routine every year even when she has already gotten the qualifying score the first time? I think she may have to unless at one point she qualifies for a specific elite meet. Can someone explain this and is that meet the U.S. Classic that she has to qualify for before she no longer has to do her compulsory routine year after year? I did a search in chalbucket since I recall this question being asked in the past but could not find the thread. Also looked through USAG website with no luck.

once you have achieved the qualifying score as a Junior International Elite you don't have to do it again. anything under JI you will have to do when you go to the JI level.

If you hit the 35.00 compulsory qualifying score and the 51.00 optional score at an elite qualifier, you don't need to do it again? I thought you had to qualify as an elite every year unless you make it to ... Is it classics?

If you hit the 35.00 compulsory qualifying score and the 51.00 optional score at an elite qualifier, you don't need to do it again? I thought you had to qualify as an elite every year unless you make it to ... Is it classics?

If you have hit your compulsory score and competed at a Classic (US Classic or American Classic) you do not have to do it again. If you hit your score and never competed for various reasons you will have to test again.

If you have hit your compulsory score and competed at a Classic (US Classic or American Classic) you do not have to do it again. If you hit your score and never competed for various reasons you will have to test again.

not the compulsory. optional score must be achieved every year to qualify to Classics and Championships with exceptions. like if you were a member of an Olympic Team, World Team, National team etc; and when they change the qualifying scores or rules for that competitive year. these are called the "Marta" rules. everything is subject to change.

but once you get that compulsory 35.00 as a JI, your done. this includes even if you're out an entire season due to injury.

If you compete at the US Classic or American Classic ever in your life (even if you salute and tap through events), you are never required to achieve a minimum compulsory score again.

To qualify to the US Classic or American Classic, you must have achieved a 35.00 in compulsories that year plus the optional score for your year and level that year (i.e., the junior optional score dropped from 52.5 to 51.5 this year).

An exception was made in 2011. For that year only, if you QUALIFIED to a Classic, even if you did not compete at a Classic, you were not required to re-qualify compulsories the following year.

Ok. There seems to be either a contradiction or I am misunderstanding the replies. So lemonlime, if a gymnast hits the 35.00 compulsory qualifying score but does not achieve her optional score, then she will need to achieve a compulsory qualifying score every year until she gets the current year's optional qualifying score? According to dunno, if I understand it correctly, once you get the 35.00 compulsory score, you don't need to repeat it again. Which one is right? Hmmm.

If you hit the compulsory and optional score for Classics any given year, and salute/compete at a classic, you never have to get the 35.0 compulsory score again. If you don't reach the optional score you are unable to compete at the classic and would have to do redo both the following year.

I can't figure out how to edit my post, so I'll post again. It still reads a bit unclear. Let's say in 2013 you obtained your 35.o Compulsory and a 51.5 Junior Intl optional and went to Classics. You would never have to do compulsories again, even if you didn't obtain the optional score in 2014.

However, if in 2013 you obtained your 35.0 Compulsory but did not achieve your 51 optional, you would need to test both again in 2014 since you did not qualify to compete at a Classic.

Scarface is correct. It becomes complicated when the gymnast . . . qualifies to Classic but does not compete (repeat compulsories unless it's 2011) . . . qualifies to Challenge and has a 35.00 (repeat compulsories) . . . earns a 35.00 at a different meet but in the same year when they earn their optional score for Classic (do not repeat compulsories) . . .

Thank you. Because we are not sure we want to train elite, we thought maybe she can try to get her compulsory score first and worry about optionals a little later. It sounds like she'll need to go in full speed off the bat. I just want her to be a regular student and attend regular school. She just started middle school and it is exciting for her. Her coach says she'll need at least 3 morning sessions in addition to her evening practices. She is currently only practicing 16 hours a day. So she would need to take off school 3 hours in the a.m. three times a week. I figured training compulsory should not require any more training hours because she already has all the skills. She just needs to polish them. But there goes that thought. :-(

It is not unusual for a younger gymnast to test the waters by testing elite compulsories only for her first year. Testing compulsories allows the gymnast's execution to be evaluated by brevet judges and helps the girls make the HUGE jump into elite bars. Vault, fx and beam compulsories are L9, but the low and high bar for compulsories present serious challenges.

Hmmmm. Thanks lemonlime! We may just test the waters. It feels pretty exciting just to dip your feet in elite! ;) Compulsories may be as far as we go because elite trainng seems almost implausible for us. While her current coach would like to try this out, he has not trained elite at all. There are no gyms in an acceptable drivable area that trains elite, moving for the purpose of training elite is improbable, the risk is too high, with my oldest going to college next year, my second child following a couple years later, money may be a little sparse to name a few. But I think the short experience to compete or be in that environment of amazing athletes could be memorable. Am I being naive?

Hmmmm. Thanks lemonlime! We may just test the waters. It feels pretty exciting just to dip your feet in elite! ;) Compulsories may be as far as we go because elite trainng seems almost implausible for us. While her current coach would like to try this out, he has not trained elite at all. There are no gyms in an acceptable drivable area that trains elite, moving for the purpose of training elite is improbable, the risk is too high, with my oldest going to college next year, my second child following a couple years later, money may be a little sparse to name a few. But I think the short experience to compete or be in that environment of amazing athletes could be memorable. Am I being naive?
Imho I think any such opportunity is a plus and would be exciting if that is what she wants. In the end you have to balance the gymnastics and family commitments. Best wishes for what ever you decide :)

She does want to do it. But then again, there nothing she does not want to do! So, we'll let her and her coach try it and see how it goes. Thanks gymmomof1.

Looking at the compulsory routines at the USAG website, it seems my daughter has majority of the skills and has actually been scored on a few drills during TOPS national testing. But looking at current compulsory scores, it seems getting the 35.00 qualifying score is more difficult than it seems. At the U.S. Challenge only 3 or 4 barely got the qualifying score. Some of the girls were just a year older than my daughter and they did national TOPS testing together a year or 2 back. These girls were great at the testing and did better than my daughter and made the A team. If they are struggling to get 35.00 now, not sure how my daughter would do. I guess at this level every possible deduction is taken. This would certainly be a good test for her. I just hope it does not deflate her confidence.

Has she practiced on the elite setting for bars? I don't know anything about Tops, so maybe they already do it that way but it seems like a hard transition for our girls that are starting to trying the compulsory routines. Our gym is new to trying to train elites as well and it's been very interesting to watch!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back