WAG Elite Gymnast & High School Diver

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We see a lot of talk here about all of the sacrifices gymnasts make at all levels, but especially those on the elite/college bound track that it was fun to see a story about a senior national team member who is also giving high school diving a try simultaneously. Pretty cool of her gymnastics coaches to make it work and also the diving coach for being flexible with what I imagine is a tricky schedule.
https://www.ydr.com/videos/sports/s...ymnast-trinity-thomas-diving-debut/110082418/

That does not seem like a good idea to me. Diving saltos and gymnastics saltos require different technique, mixing the two up would not end well.

That does not seem like a good idea to me. Diving saltos and gymnastics saltos require different technique, mixing the two up would not end well.
That was my initial thought as well, but I imagine she got the okay from her coaches. High school swim/dive season is relatively short (about 3 months) and not super intense, at least in the area featured in the video. I doubt 3-5 hours of low level diving per week will greatly impact the 20+ hours she's doing in the gym. I also figured the gym coach was in close communication with the diving coach and would put a stop to it if a problem came up.
My point was less the particular activity she selected and more that it is possible to compete as an elite/level 10 and still live a somewhat normal teenage life.

My son has a L10 teammate who's diving for school this season. He's done very well, but he refuses to wrap for his twisting dives in the diving way lest it mess up his gymnastics. If he ever decided to prioritize diving, I think he could go very far.

My son has a L10 teammate who's diving for school this season. He's done very well, but he refuses to wrap for his twisting dives in the diving way lest it mess up his gymnastics. If he ever decided to prioritize diving, I think he could go very far.
The coach in the video mentioned he was overlooking certain things that would differ from her gymnastics training, so I imagine that is the kind of thing he was talking about.

I don't know how "different" they are to cause problems...my former level 10 with the ACL tear in high school is now a diver in college and it has worked out quite well. Some of her teammates have commented that she is a fast flipper and her response is basically , well yeah because if you didn't make it around in gymnastics, you land on your face as there's no water to splash into. Her progression has been quicker because of the gymnastics.

She seems like such a bright, happy kid- finding your balance in HS is so hard- and she seems like she wanted to dabble in HS sports life a bit- good for her! Takes a lot to step out of gymnastics when you are at that level!

Trinity was a pretty good swimmer before too and swam competitively when she started elite. Although I can see how diving and gymnastics might be hard, I know a few people who have done it. So hopefully she'll have some options.

Trinity was a pretty good swimmer before too and swam competitively when she started elite. Although I can see how diving and gymnastics might be hard, I know a few people who have done it. So hopefully she'll have some options.
One of her sisters is a pretty good multi-sport athlete, I think swimming might be one of those sports. So it's probably also something she can share with a sibling. There are a bunch of kids, all of whom are ridiculously athletically gifted, I don't imagine Trinity or the rest of her family spend very much time at home.

There was an english elite gymnast named Olivia Reeve who also dived.

She did both, then moved to the us and chow’s, then came back to focus in diving.

Despite being very talented she couldn’t manage both and is now doing neither. There’s quite alot on the internet about her as she started out with Rochelle Douglas , Team Sparkle and catherine lyons

We see a lot of talk here about all of the sacrifices gymnasts make at all levels, but especially those on the elite/college bound track that it was fun to see a story about a senior national team member who is also giving high school diving a try simultaneously. Pretty cool of her gymnastics coaches to make it work and also the diving coach for being flexible with what I imagine is a tricky schedule.
https://www.ydr.com/videos/sports/s...ymnast-trinity-thomas-diving-debut/110082418/
Her gym coaches know diving well as the brother of head coach was a diving coach for local high school and I believe West Chester University until he got himself into some hot water.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back