WAG Elite gymnast

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mtn77

Proud Parent
What is the definition of an elite gymnast? Are girls considered elite once they reach a certain optional level or do they need to go beyond that and try out for the title of elite. I did look around online but what I saw wasn't very clear or maybe I didn't look in the right place. Thanks!

A gymnast is considered elite(at least in the USA) when she has achieved the junior or senior qualifying score on the elite compulsory routines and competed optional routines in the junior or senior elite division at a USA Classic competition.

Elite is the level of international world/Olympic gymnasts and is usually thought of as after level 10 in the US system although it uses a different code of points, and the exact difficulty competed differs between countries and the strengths of their programs. (For example, I heard there were some elite level gymnasts from smaller countries at the most recent worlds competing skills that would be considered lower optional level gymnastics in the US). There are junior and senior elite levels for both men and women based on ages, with juniors I believe having some restrictions on difficulty or number of skills performed (at least on the men's side) and less intense competition - only senior elites can compete at the Olympics. Each country's federation has its own rules for qualifyingto elite and may have a separate developmental streams or non mandatory programs (like TOPs or HOPES for female US gymnasts) for gymnasts with a goal of achieving elite, usually from a young age.

Just to add to these excellent explanations, from what I understand (and my kid will never be anywhere near elite FYI lol) Elite is a HUGE jump from L10. I believe there are usually less than 100 elites in the US at any given time. People wiser than I can expand on that if they like!

But in reality, Elite is just a word that people apply to indicate a high level. In most cases it is used for international gymnasts, but even in the US you will hear of gyms using the word to indicate a level higher than advanced.

I have seen rec clubs used the word to describe their highest level red kids, who might only be about level 6 standard. Their rec classes might be beginner. Intermediate, advanced, Elite.

Comp clubs might have an “elite development” class, for kids of 5 or 6 to indicate they are more advanced than their regular development class etc.

This is why it can all get very confusing.

But in reality, Elite is just a word that people apply to indicate a high level. In most cases it is used for international gymnasts, but even in the US you will hear of gyms using the word to indicate a level higher than advanced.

I have seen rec clubs used the word to describe their highest level red kids, who might only be about level 6 standard. Their rec classes might be beginner. Intermediate, advanced, Elite.

Comp clubs might have an “elite development” class, for kids of 5 or 6 to indicate they are more advanced than their regular development class etc.

This is why it can all get very confusing.
We had a member here for a long long time who was extremely persnickety about the word Elite. ( I’m sure our veteran members will recall a few of his written diatribes on the topic).

I believe he insisted that only gymnasts who participated at USNationals were true elite with even fewer being international elites. The reality is that you need to look at the context to determine how it’s being used.

Just to add to these excellent explanations, from what I understand (and my kid will never be anywhere near elite FYI lol) Elite is a HUGE jump from L10. I believe there are usually less than 100 elites in the US at any given time. People wiser than I can expand on that if they like!
Yes, level 10 routines and elite routines are vastly different

I consider my daughter as training elite and will call her an official elite once she achieves her elite optional score at a qualifier meet (she already has her compulsory score). USAG considers her a true elite when she competes in a classic meet (at which point her JO career is done)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back