WAG Elite level hours of training

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymMom77

Proud Parent
So just curious as to how many hours elite level gymnasts (jr and senior elite, Developmental Team athletes, etc) are training per week

It will vary by gym, but one gym that I am familiar with has their Elites train 31 hours a week. For reference, their L9/10 team trains 23 hours a week.

30 hours seems to be a minimum. 35 plus is not uncommon at that level. I think every elite has at least a modified school day to accommodate training and the majority homeschool.

Ours train 30- not all homeschool- those that go to traditional school have modified schedules- JO 9/10 trains 27 - so not a huge step up.

35, 36 is pretty typical. Not all elites are home schooled, but it's much easier if they are. Those who go to school need modified schedules.

It can be done without modified schedules. We do have gymnasts who fit the 36 hour training week in around a full school schedule.

Our schools generally run from 9:00AM-3:00PM, so the kids might do morning training from 6:30-8:30AM or 6:15-8:15PM, and then train after school from say 3:30-7:30PM, they do 6 hours a day in the gym and a full school sh duke and then 6 hours on Saturdays, so they get in 36 hours a week.

It is an intense schedule, but elite gymnasts are not average kids/teens. Many are incredibly active and driven, and when they have a day off they might even be bored and edgy.

A lot of our top gyms (in Australia) are actually located in schools. Usually private schools (Around 40% of Australian kids in 7th-12th grade attend private schools so we have a lot). The school will often build the facility, and lease it to the gymnastics club at far cheaper rates than commercial rent. The exchange is the gymnastics coaches are available to teach classes for the school students during day hours to supplement their physical education, or run a gymnastics program for the inter school sport competition.

This way kids can attend the school and training mornings and afternoons, then walk straight to classrooms or vice versa, eliminating travel time or the need for parents to ferry them to and from the gym.

We do also have our high performance centre, which is not built in a school. But they have a bus and reccomend the kids attend a particular school, if they do they will bus the, to school after training and then back to the gym after school.

We have the opposite. Some gyms have school rooms in them to avoid the back and forth. Simone's gym actively promotes their hybrid school with a teacher and individualized curriculum. They have also posted pictures of the school group measuring the pitts to determine volume etc.

It can be done without modified schedules. We do have gymnasts who fit the 36 hour training week in around a full school schedule.

Our schools generally run from 9:00AM-3:00PM, so the kids might do morning training from 6:30-8:30AM or 6:15-8:15PM, and then train after school from say 3:30-7:30PM, they do 6 hours a day in the gym and a full school sh duke and then 6 hours on Saturdays, so they get in 36 hours a week.
I know it's done in America too but I can honestly say I don't understand it.

Before we started homeschooling (not for gym) my girls had school from 7am-3pm. Gym was an hour away in traffic (there was always traffic). Most American kids in middle/high school start having hours of homework a night.

The optional girls at one gym where my DD trained would go from bed to school, directly to gym, doing homework on break, going home and doing homework again until 12, 1, 2 am, and then back up for the school day at 6. They were L6-8 and trained 17-23 hours a week. It was so very unhealthy imo, and that doesn't touch on elite level hours. I am not even sure why the strain is worth it for girls clearly not going to college gym, or elite. I'm a huge proponent of letting kids do their thing, and of filling up the hours with such a positive pursuit, but there has to be time to sleep, eat.. breathe..

My ODD always managed to get her homework done in school (don't ask me how), so it was never an issue with us, and she was only at a max of 12 hours of gym while she was in public school. We have a friend whose son trains 9 hours or so a week and they are always stressing over time because of the mountains of homework the kid has.

I'm just not sure how there is enough hours in the day for traditional American high school plus typical American commute plus 30+ hours a week of gym.

My girls are homeschooled and do about 23 hours a week of gym/ballet, and I feel like there can be no time to get all the school done sometimes. I just cannot fathom.

Last edited:
We have the opposite. Some gyms have school rooms in them to avoid the back and forth. Simone's gym actively promotes their hybrid school with a teacher and individualized curriculum. They have also posted pictures of the school group measuring the pitts to determine volume etc.
Our gym's in house homeschool has a teacher/facilitator who oversees the group to make sure they are all on track with their individualized curriculum.

16-20 hours/week (typical for optionals) with school is hard enough. During one semester when I was competing I would be up at 4:30 am to get to school by 6:00 am for an early bird class, have class from 6 am - 3:15 pm, practice from 4:00 pm to 9:00 pm, get home at 9:30, start homework at 10 and be in bed by 12. I have no idea how I did it except that I was a zombie and very emotionally volatile because I was exhausted - cried just about every day. I can't imagine practicing 36 hours a week plus a full school day.

One thing I've heard is that some kids can attend an online charter school in the US - so they can do lessons as it fits in with their training schedule. Kind of like homeschooling but less burden on the parents and still technically in the public school system. I know sometimes the quality of instruction and level of instructor support is not good in these schools, but it seems like if designed well it could be a good compromise for intense-training athletes.

In Aussie hours vary state by state; & even within the state.

For HPC gymnasts who attend main stream school in Vic the trainings cut into the school day but the recommended schools adjust the individual's curriculum to fit the attendance schedule.

And some gymnasts are enrolled with Dist. Ed.
This is the same curriculum that is available to regular pupils in Vic but extended to pupils extramurally and caters to elite sports kids as well as others unable to attend mainstream school.

32 at our gym. Most are homeschooled and work in a study room at the gym on the days that they have double sessions. Each girl has her own study plan. Lots of great homeschooling options and hybrid programs in our area...

can someone weigh in on the benefits of having gymnasts train a morning AND an afternoon schedule? Are they doing it to rest their bodies so that all of the hours aren't at once? Are they doing it to have the gym to themselves and a more focused training session? All of the above and more? Just curious. Thanks!~:)

can someone weigh in on the benefits of having gymnasts train a morning AND an afternoon schedule? Are they doing it to rest their bodies so that all of the hours aren't at once? Are they doing it to have the gym to themselves and a more focused training session? All of the above and more? Just curious. Thanks!~:)

It matches training at developmental/national team camp.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back