WAG Elite Qualifications

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey Guys!
My daughter has set a new goal of qualifying for elite. She knows that it is very slim of her actually making it, but that is what she is going to aim for. I had a few questions on the qualifications. How do you qualify for elite? I have heard a lot of stuff about the elite compuslory and optional testing. Is that how you qualify? Or is that just for the HOPES and TOPS kids?

What testing and/or camps do you have to go to? Thanks so much!

Well the good news is you do not need to do TOPs or go to camps to test Elite. But you do need to have a coach that can train the skills needed to actually test. So start there, talk to your coach about the goal and see where they can take you.

There are meets specifically for testing elite and those dates are already released by USAG for this year. Girls test a series of compulsory routines and skills. There are different age categories and therefore skills and scores needed to acheive Elite status.

Once you have talked to your coach and worked out whether they can help with the goal you can decide whether this will work for you, your family and in the present gym.

What I do know, thanks Dunno, is it is an expensive and time consuming goal for all involved.

Here is a helpful link, follow through and you will see other links for more detailed info and dates.

:: USA Gymnastics :: Women's Program Overview ::

and if your coaches can't define what the elite program is and what is required every step of the way, then i would question if they should be doing the program at all. just sayin...:)

How old is your daughter and what level? If she's a 12 year old level 10 who has qualified for JO nationals then it's definitely a possibility. If she's a 8 year old L 5, by no means crush her dreams, but as a parent look at it realistically. It's a long process and many girls go through L 10. A few young superstars go the HOPES route which is the former pre-elite category I believe. Many girls, esp young ones, want to go elite because they love gymnastics and love seeing the pretty leos and the glitter on the girls on TV and really have a romanticized version of elite gym. They don't understand 35 hours a week in gym, crazy conditioning, have absolutely no social life. As girls get older (and trust me I was one!) they want to have friends and do other school activities. They still love gym but it's different. I was a 11 year old L 10 and at the age 12 qualified for Nationals. I wanted to go elite SOOOOO bad. But my gym didn't have the program because we were a small mountain gym, the only one for almost 100 miles. My mom didn't let me and at the time I was angry but later on I understood it wasn't right for our family.

So yeah if you want to share that info I think we could help you a lot better!

I want to correct myself! Pre-elite and HOPES are different but both aimed at younger girls who are headed toward elite but too young to get to that level. Things have changed since I was at that level and it wasn't all that long ago!

Thank you! DD's coach explained it all to us, but I was still a little confused about the qualifying. DD's coach was an elite gymnast and has produced several very talented elite gymnasts. DD is 13 and training level 10, but will probably compete level 9 because she does not have her gienger. (Coach requires this for level 10.)

spelled geinger. no attack on you, just respect to the athletes.:)

at 13, and elite is being discussed, she needs to be working on the compulsories.

Thanks dunno! Sorry about that. She is working on the compulsories, and can do the majority of the skills with the exception of a stalder or toe on to handstand. (Coach doesn't like 2 free hips for elite, says you need more variety)

stupid me. you are absolutely correct. my apologies, eberhard.:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back