WAG Elite Scoring?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have a question about elite gymnastics scoring with the new system. I know the difficulty level is taken from the ten most difficult elements, but my question is with the execution. When they score execution, do they deduct from only the 10 most difficult elements or all of the elements??? :confused:

It was changed from the 10 most difficult elements to the 8 most difficult elements in 2009. Also those elements need to be of a certain type. For floor exercise and Balance beam in WAG at least 3 of those elements must be dance elements (ie leaps, jumps, turns).

The execution deductions are taken from the whole routine not just the counting elements.

It was changed from the 10 most difficult elements to the 8 most difficult elements in 2009. Also those elements need to be of a certain type. For floor exercise and Balance beam in WAG at least 3 of those elements must be dance elements (ie leaps, jumps, turns).

The execution deductions are taken from the whole routine not just the counting elements.

There was a drift for elites do try to do three tumbling passes instead of four to minimize potential execution deductions. It can be mathematically possible but you need at least two, two-tenth connection passes to keep the start value up. I think Bross and Ohashi have competed 3-pass routines but those routines include direct D+C tumbling passes. Even A+E can be problematic with a three-pass routine (in spite of the fact that that connection is also worth .2).

Most elites have very high start values on beam so you will see kids pushing the envelope with extra non-counting skills to try to gain a start-value edge. The non-counting skills need to be completely clean to be worthwhile, but they are common on beam (i.e., switch/back tuck, most Bs and Cs in a triple beam series).

Gabby Douglas' end-of-season bar routine was probably the epitome of performing the least amount of skills for the highest value on bars. She basically did ONLY two batches of skills - but all connected. Earlier in the season and in the past, she competed MORE skills, but with less careful skill selection and a lesser start value. If I recall, her final high bar sequence was higgins half (D)/white half (D)/ stalder 360 (D)/full out (D). The other was perhaps inside stalder full (E)/Tkatchev (D)/pak (D). These days, shaposhes are popular for the .2 connection going down into a shootover, but there are many other ways to get that .2 and shaposhes are notorious for taking execution deductions unless they are perfect with great leg position and LOADS of power. The D into a shaposh half turned out to be a cleaner way to go (Bross, Wieber).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back