For Parents Email from USAG this morning (Webinar: Tough Coaching vs. Emotional Abuse)

Ppgmom

Proud Parent
Jan 14, 2020
Country
USA
Everyone has probably read it by now,. Did anyone watch the webinar? For me very validating. Wish I had seen it sooner, like a few years sooner. Thoughts?

Reactions: M2Abi
Did ChalkBucket help you?... help us too.

If you can't help financially... tell a friend about us!

FlippinPrincess

Proud Parent
Aug 22, 2016
Country
USA
Didn't get an email. I'm in Michigan though, and with our gym closed we haven't registered with USAG this year. Wonder if that's why I haven't received anything.

CuriousCate

Proud Parent
Jul 12, 2016
Country
USA
I didn't get it either - checked my spam too. Can you share the name of the webinar?

Gymmom826

Proud Parent
Apr 6, 2014
Country
USA
I watched the webinar. It was about tough coaching vs emotional abuse. The examples were all about emotional abuse. She didn’t give any examples of what “tough coaching” is compared to that, so if she had given more examples of that to understand better.

mom2newgymnast

Proud Parent
Jul 8, 2014
Country
USA
The email was called "Webinar: Tough Coaching vs. Emotional Abuse". It's on YouTube. I tried to share a link but
it tried to embed it which I don't think works. But search on youtube and should be able to find it.

Reactions: CuriousCate

M2Abi

Proud Parent
Jan 21, 2016
Country
USA
I got the email. I didn't watch the webinar, but I'm glad that they're putting it out there.

cmg

Proud Parent
Jul 2, 2018
Country
USA
My thoughts were "Its about time" USAG at least made an attempt to address this issue. My feeling is that for those coaches who have been abusers for years, they will not think this applies to them. I hope they make all coaches watch it in order for them to be coaches and they should have some actual training for all coaches. But it is good that parents might be more aware now. Although this is at least a first step, USAG has many more steps to take to actually change the now prevalent culture that they have allowed to happen all these years. I have not watched the video yet, but plan to when I have the computer to myself.

Reactions: Flippin'A

novagymmom

Former Gymnast
Proud Parent
May 19, 2020
Country
USA
Didn't get the email, but definitely want to watch. Thanks for the head's up!!

Ppgmom

Proud Parent
Jan 14, 2020
Country
USA

Tough Coaching or Emotional Abuse:
Knowing When the Line Has Been Crossed

Email from Kim Kranz Chief of Athletic Wellness. The webinar is by Shelba Waldron Safesport Director of Training and Education.

What I like is Shelba Waldron experience with abuse of children is outside of gymnastics. It breaks down the behaviours including coaches trying to dismiss minimize.

I like that it went to parents and coaches.
That forces coaches to reevaluate what is going on in their gym and how they respond if there is a problem.
Pretty much hit the nail on the head for DD experience.

Interesting they came up with this year the athletes from the Nassar case continue to be frustrated ( rightly so) with the tone deaf responses from the organization.
Didn't get the email, but definitely want to watch. Thanks for the head's up!!
The link to the webinar is posted in this thread. You will have to type it into your browser to watch on UTube. It doesn't work to just stop click.

Thank you for supporting our sponsors Energym Music & Norberts!