Emily's first meet since her ACL repair is finally here!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm looking for lots and lots of "good luck" and "be safe" wishes for tomorrow afternoon. After blowing out her knee last February and having ACL reconstruction surgery in April, Emily has toughed it out and will be competing in our club's first meet of the season. She will be competing bars and vault - she still does not have quite the explosive power her coach wants her to have to tumble on beam and floor. This was the absolute earliest that our ortho said she might be able to compete when we first saw him this past March and it is a testament to Emily's determination that she has come as far as she has already. I just can't express how proud I am of my daughter!! We were fortunate to have a phenomenal orthopedic surgeon, but without Emily's dedication and hard work she would not be where she is now. I know there have been many times over the past 9 months when she thought tomorrow would never come, but she has continued to work through the pain and frustration and now she is finally there. I personally don't care if she falls on her face tomorrow - that she has gotten to this point has me choked up - but Emily really is hoping to do well and any good thoughts you might have to spare would be greatly appreciated!

She is in my thoughts and prayers. I wish her all the best for a wonderful and safe competition. Im sure for her too, its not about placing at this point..just getting back out there and proving to everyone, including herself..that she still has what it take. Looking forward to hearing how she does.

Best of luck t her! So glad you keep us updated she has been an inspiration to me going through the same injury and surgery

Good Luck Today! Will be thinking about her. You are one lucky mom to have such an amazing daughter.

Best of luck to Emily, she clearly has worked very hard to get to this point. I like that the coach is letting her do what she is ready for. Let us know how it goes!

Good Luck to Emily!! I hope she has a great meet (and safe one)

WTG on working so hard and getting back so soon. It really is amazing :)

Wishing Emily the best and that she has a wonderful meet and who cares what she scores--she's back yay!!!!! :)

She has done so well to get back to bars and beam this quick. Hope she enjoys her meet and her routines go well.

Well, she did it :D Keeping in mind that it is approximately 7 1/2 months since Em had her ACL reconstructed with both medial and lateral meniscal repairs, Em competed both bars and vault this afternoon. She has been stressing horribly about this meet all week - more than I have ever seen here stress about a meet before. Bars was her first event and she pulled it off with sheer guts and determination. Em has always had strong bars, but has had to change how she kips due to the knee brace she now wears, and so has been struggling with her cast handstands and pirouettes. She made her handstand, and literally muscled her way through the pirouette, made her giants and stuck her dismount. Her score from 2 of the toughest judges we have in Region 7 was an 8.1! Her smile practically lit up the whole gym when she stuck her landing :D Em has only been vaulting for the past 3-4 weeks, so competed a half-on/half-off. Took a few steps on the landing but still scored a respectable 8.15. She is so happy with herself and that is what matters most to me. I'm flying off to work for the rest of the night but will try and post videos tomorrow. Thanks to everyone for all their good wishes and support throughout Em's whole recovery.

I'm so glad to hear she did so well. :applause: Olivia is pondering whether to scratch floor and beam for this weekend's meet, too. I'm thinking it wouldn't be a bad idea. Just go with what she's comfortable with and not stress about the other stuff. She's all upset because it's a home meet but I told her it doesn't matter. It's so hard to explain this kind of thing to a 9 year old coming off an injury like that, having to make that kind of decision.

Congrats to Em and I hope she continues to get stronger and is competing all 4 events soon!

Wow!! What a great comeback for Em!! I am so happy that she had a great meet! Congrats to Em for working hard and doing so well :). Big High 5!!!!!!!!!

Emily's L8 Bar Routine - sideways

Here is Em's Level 8 bar routine from Sunday's meet. She made her pirouette through sheer determination but she got over!
My apologies for the orientation of the movie, I have not figured out yet how to rotate video on my computer.

YouTube - 013

Looks pretty good to me! It's amazing that she was able to come back from that injury! Will she be able to compete AA at her next meet?

Thanks! We are thinking it may be February before she is ready to compete AA - she still does not have the power in her quads that her coach wants her to have for tumbling on beam. We will take it one meet at a time, the decision on which events to compete at a meet are up to Em and her coach. Incidentally, Em says this is her highest score on bars at L8:D

LOL! I have a crick in my neck from watching it, but I thought she did an awesome job on bars and vault. A huge congrats to your dd on fighting back from such a serious injury.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back