Parents End of the season gift for coach?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

TumbleTimes4

Proud Parent
DD has such a wonderful coach and I wanted to get her a gift to say “thank you” for all the positive ways she encouraged and invested in DD. Looking for recommendations from other parents or even coaches on some of their favorite gifts they have received!

When DD had female coaches, most of them LOVED Starbucks gift cards, but the massage and float gift sounds amazing. Any ideas for male coaches - single, middle aged coach? DD's coach is impossible to buy for.

I always answer this question the same way: No matter what material gift you give, make sure to have your child write a personalized thank-you note to the coach. It will be most meaningful if it includes specifics about how the coach has helped her, what she's learned, etc. I used to work with kids and although I've forgotten all the picture frames and Starbucks cards and cookies and coffee mugs I was given over the years, I still remember the really nice notes a few of my students wrote me. My daughter wrote heartfelt notes to both of her beloved coaches for the holidays, and they really seemed to appreciate them.

For a material gift, our team parents typically go in together on a gift card we know the coaches will like. Most of them are caffeine addicts so it usually ends up being Starbucks. This year, I found some stainless steel mugs with a motif that ties in to a running joke the coaches have with the team, so they are getting those too.

As head coach... I always give hints like...

“Don’t forget to get me a drone that will carry a buffalo wing”... got tons of BW3 gift cards and a cool drone with a claw on it that year.

One year when we all rode 12 hours on a bus each way to Woodward... “I really really wish I had a pair of these cool headphones”... got a pair of Beats that year... and BW3 gift cards too.

One year we all saw a model train around a Christmas tree... “Oh man... I have never had a train around my Christmas tree”... got a really cool G-scale model train set to go around the tree...got BW3 gift cards that year too.

My wife gets things like a candle... then I fly in with my drone and put it out.

Oh... and I have a Traxxas RC truck to... “I really wish we had a team remote control truck”.... yah... nobody bought that... so I went and bought it myself... now it drives around the gym and jumps mats before the kids get there.

I remember watching the Drone Racing League at the Ranch one night with a bunch of other coaches. Whoever said “toys”... is correct.

I always answer this question the same way: No matter what material gift you give, make sure to have your child write a personalized thank-you note to the coach. It will be most meaningful if it includes specifics about how the coach has helped her, what she's learned, etc. I used to work with kids and although I've forgotten all the picture frames and Starbucks cards and cookies and coffee mugs I was given over the years, I still remember the really nice notes a few of my students wrote me. My daughter wrote heartfelt notes to both of her beloved coaches for the holidays, and they really seemed to appreciate them.

For a material gift, our team parents typically go in together on a gift card we know the coaches will like. Most of them are caffeine addicts so it usually ends up being Starbucks. This year, I found some stainless steel mugs with a motif that ties in to a running joke the coaches have with the team,

^^^^^This! Always a personal note. If you get a gift card, get it to a place they like. My kids all know I love Chick-Fil-A iced tea but don’t drink coffee. So Starbucks would be appreciated but less than thoughtful. A mug with a team joke is awesome, I still have a mug from a summer job when I was 20. Most importantly show that you and the team notice your coach, notice their likes and dislikes or habits. Thoughtfulness matters to everyone.

One of my favorite gifts that I ever received was a framed picture of the team. I kept it in my full-time work office for years, until one day I looked at it and realized that most of the kids in that picture were married with children. So I found a recent team picture and framed it myself. I also love getting travel mugs, gift cards, and would love a gift certificate for a massage.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back