Parents End stages of gymnast wrist question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LGnyc

Proud Parent
I posted before when DD was diagnosed about 7 weeks ago. We went back to the orthopedist for our follow up. X-rays were great - in fact better than dr had expected. He says X-rays are often the last thing to show improvement but on hers there was noticeable narrowing of the gap between growth plate and bone and no premature closure of the growth plate. Yay. However she's still expressing significant pain and can't start again until pain free. Anyone ever experience this? That the Orthopedist and her testing indicate she's good to go but still having discomfort?

I also read online about tight forearms and compensation being a factor in wrist injuries so tried massaging or releasing muscle tension in the forearm and she would flinch or cry out. That also seemed weird. I have a call into Ortho, so not looking for medical advice, just if anyone had these experiences.
Thank you.

No experience with wrist issues, but has she been seeing a physiotherapist? The tenderness in her forearm muscles seems meaningful.
I took my DD to see a PT for heel pain, which turned out to be a hip/ glute issue causing a tight calf which extended to her heel. So I've been reminded of how pain in one area can be related to others! My DD started feeling relief within days of massage, with some home stretches and exercises.

yes. massage is likely needed to relieve tightness somewhere up her arm. the key is knowing exactly where to massage. a good pt or manual therapists with myofacial experience should be able to help.

This all seems so logical to me so I was confuddled (my dd's favorite made up word, a mashup of confused and befuddled) that Dr said that the forearm pain was likely not relevant. Now I'm thinking I need to find her the right manual technician - because really, what can it hurt? Any guidance in NYC?

it's most definitely related -- firearm tightness and/or an imbalance in those muscles can cause both wrist and elbow pain. My daughter uses a combination of moist heat + rolling to warm up her muscles before she leaves for the gym. It has helped a great deal.

it's most definitely related -- firearm tightness and/or an imbalance in those muscles can cause both wrist and elbow pain. My daughter uses a combination of moist heat + rolling to warm up her muscles before she leaves for the gym. It has helped a great deal.

I've tried that but the flinching is so significant I worried that a) I was doing it wrong or b) that there was something really wrong with her that I wasn't equipped to deal with. So I think I should probably bring in a professional to at least get some release and learn how to help her on my end down the road. Make sense?

I've tried that but the flinching is so significant I worried that a) I was doing it wrong or b) that there was something really wrong with her that I wasn't equipped to deal with. So I think I should probably bring in a professional to at least get some release and learn how to help her on my end down the road. Make sense?
Absolutely-- once you get past the acute stage with the help of a professional, hopefully she can manage it going forward. It also helps to have someone that is "not mom" doing the work.

Yes, definitely related. Unfortunately my experience is that doctors aren't always the best advice givers when it comes to certain things, this type of thing just isn't generally part of their education. If it's broken, then yeah, need surgery then yes definitely, but most of dds overuse injuries and even her spondy back issues were best addressed by other types of practitioners. It took us trying a bunch but we finally found a great one who got her through the other side of her back issues and now is our first line of defense. He treats her unless she needs to see the ortho at which point he makes sure we go see the doctor and coordinates care and info with our ortho. Ortho was resistant to this at first but has come to respect and appreciate our guy.

Where is her pain? My DD had pain after being cleared by her orthopedist to return to the gym. We came back a month later because she was still noticing pain (not severe, and not when placing pressure on her wrist) and I did not want her to go through the severe pain and casting she had to do before. The orthopedist had her move her wrist, felt her growth plate and a few bones, checked the X-ray, then asked my DD to show her where she felt pain and asked what she was doing at the time of pain, or what movements or skills cause he pain. Turned out that it wasn't gymnast wrist pain, it was soreness from her wrist not being used. Her wrist was simply sore, and when doing bar skills or vaulting her wrist was bearing pressure that it wasn't used to doing. She reassured us that it was normal and gave my DD wrist strengthening and forearm strengthening exercises to do at home. She also showed me as well as my DD the location of the wrist where pain would indicate the growth plate issue again.

Great question. She said the pain is right at the juncture of hand and wrist - where the bone juts out on the radial side and even in the indent on the thumb side.

At this point, I don't think she could have muscular pain from weakness because she isn't doing any skills. I've been pushing her to do wrist strengthening, but she's not so consistent. She has done rice bucket exercises as well as a rubber band/ball device from a gym web site where you spread your fingers wide and then clutch the ball for range of motion.

Where was her pain?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back