Error while posting

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Kiwi

Coach
Proud Parent
Gymnast
Judge
Aaargh!!! I keep trying to post a reply, but I just keep getting errors!!!! Will try again...

Aaargh!!! I keep trying to post a reply, but I just keep getting errors!!!! Will try again...

Strange...I kept seeing a push notification on my iPod that you had posted. Do you remember what the error said?

Strange...I kept seeing a push notification on my iPod that you had posted. Do you remember what the error said?

Lots of different problems. At first when I tried to submit my message it came up asking did I want to stay on the page or leave as if I had not done anything. Other times it went to a page that said 'internal server error'. I tried deleting the message text and posted xxxxxxxxxx instead and that worked, then I tried to edit it, pasted in my original message and it then said my message was too short (this was all three paragraphs as above). It finally worked when I started a new post and typed the whole lot in again. Is there a problem with using copy and paste?

Lots of different problems. At first when I tried to submit my message it came up asking did I want to stay on the page or leave as if I had not done anything. Other times it went to a page that said 'internal server error'. I tried deleting the message text and posted xxxxxxxxxx instead and that worked, then I tried to edit it, pasted in my original message and it then said my message was too short (this was all three paragraphs as above). It finally worked when I started a new post and typed the whole lot in again. Is there a problem with using copy and paste?

What program did you cut and paste from? It should work.

Re: Team Invite/Tryout System

I tried Word first, then Notepad.

Your post went through. I get those errors sometimes. Usually I come back a few minutes later and the errors are gone. I just figure its a glitch in the system.

Here is the response I received from support:

Thank you for that updated IP -- you are correct.

the IP is matching ModSec rules for inserting whitespaces into files when
posting...

This happens when attempting it at newreply.php and is typical ModSec general
protection. I recommend leaving this functionality of ModSec enabled for
not-so-friendly visitors in the future.

Is your client able to perform the functions normally when they do not post
from MS Word?

This basically means that the system shut you down for inserting extra white spaces into your post. This is common when someone tries to hack a website...or when they paste content from Microsoft Word.

You should be able to type your posts up in Notepad or any other plain text editor...just not a complex editor like MS Word.

Let me know if you are having any other problems.

That's interesting, but I only saved my text in Word originally because I'd already experienced problems trying to post it. It also did not work from notepad. What do they mean by 'whitespaces'? Are they different from normal spaces?

ModSecurity matches certain patterns of spaces and characters that hackers use on a regular basis. Something in your initial post must have tripped it. I have had posts not go through before...once I checked the error log...I found out it was ModSecurity.

While ModSec is touchy...it is essential in preventing us from getting hacked. I have toned it down over the years...but there are still certain things that will set it off.

Sorry about the problem...let me know if it happens again. Each time this happens...I look over the rule that is tripping it and evaluate whether or not it is a valid rule for our site.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back