Parents Etsy Ribbons?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

TallaB

Proud Parent
I'm looking for something for my 6 yr old to keep her working towards goals. She's very award focused - like getting ribbons at swim for "backfloat", moving up levels, etc. I'm looking for something similar I can give her for gymnastics, like "backbend", "splits" whatever, for when she achieves a new skill. Any ideas on where these exist?? I've been searching Etsy, my go to, with no luck

Working toward her goals should come intrinsically, from her. Not from the outside.

Awards get harder to come by as they move up in levels except for the very rare exceptions, and those gymmies get those awards because of the internal drive.

To that end, on a personal level. With a rare exception we don’t reward goals. We do celebrate effort.

So I would do a sticker type system, reflective of effort.

They make pins with the skills, but only for the kind of "gateway" skills - not for every one.

Would she like some kind of goal board? With the skills listed and she gets to mark them off or put a fun sticker over them when she gets them or something? I bet you could make something cute. Sometimes things as simple as that can set off the same little dopamine release as a physical reward.

As far as rewards in general, mine likes Blizzards from DQ. :D She usually says we need to go get one when she gets a skill she's been working on, or on a day she attacked her practice with way more focus and determination than usual.

If you really want the ribbons, any local mom with a cricut who makes t shirts and other things with vinyl can make them for you.

I think a vision or goal board sounds good! I have never done awards for skills.. not back handspring or kip or anything. Just lots of applause and praise. She’s 9 and just made a vision board with goals- fun to see what goals she has made for herself.

Ooh, a goal board with stickers or something is a great idea! I never thought of that, thanks!
She just turned 6, she is recreational, will likely never be competitive, but she loves it and I just want to help keep her interested and working towards improvement. I know she will work as hard, or as little, as she wants, but having a motivating factor is always a nice incentive :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back