WAG Evaluation/Second Opinion: Advice Please

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi everyone,

I am in need of some advice. DD is currently a 10-year-old Level 5. She has been in gymnastics since age 7, progressed fast, and won States at both old Level 4 and new Level 4. She is strongest at Bars and scored just under a 10 at the State meet. This season, they've added a toe-on toe-to-handstand to her Level 5 routine, and she can do giants. The gym talked about her training TOPS for a couple of years but felt that while her strength was very good (she could do 14 press handstands at one point), they didn't have time to get her skills up to par. DD wants gym to be her life (like most gym girls, I think!), which in her mind means going as far in the sport as she can.

We have a very good relationship with her coaches but they will not at all talk about anything related to even the near-future with us. The gym has a strong program (DD's biggest competitors have always been her own teammates) and train up through Level 10 and have some small history with Elites. They have a policy, though, of not allowing girls to skip levels at all, saying that they feel all of the fundamentals are most important and that level doesn't matter.

Because of their reluctance to communicate much and just not feeling like they really have a plan in mind for DD, my husband and I are starting to wonder if this approach is the right one for DD. Knowing she won't progress beyond the next level seems to be a bit of a damper for her. She is a very competitive kid and works for achieving more and more. While 10 isn't old, it doesn't seem too early to at least have in mind some kind of path in the sport, especially because DD has clearly communicated her hopes and level of commitment.

My question has two parts:
1) We're heading to a state with a strong reputation in gymnastics for Easter and one of the good gyms that trains high level gymnasts is willing to evaluate DD. I shared the above in my query but I guess I am second-guessing myself. Should I have her do the evaluation? What questions do I need to ask? Am I looking at this the right way? I want to seek advice out of state because word gets around our area fast and I have no interest in ruffling feathers or creating drama. I just want a second opinion.

2) What in the heck do I do with the information when I get it? DDs coaches are talented and she loves them. Am I opening up a can of worms in doing this? Does anyone have a better suggestion?

Thanks so much for reading this and for sharing your expertise!

Welcome to Chalkbucket!

Your post has me confused. Are you moving to this state, or just visiting? If you're just visiting, it seems odd to "get a second opinion" at this gym.

What exactly are you looking for? Are you trying to find a gym that will let her skip/score out of levels? Ten years old at level 5 doesn't scream "phenom" to me. Despite her success, 10 year olds need to be around level 8 to succeed at TOPs, so that's probably why your gym didn't pursue that with her.

Sounds like her bars are great. How are her other events?

Reactions: sce
I might be wrong but that sounds like an excellent gym you have there.
Why does she have to go as far as she can in the sport as fast as possible?

I might be wrong but that sounds like an excellent gym you have there.
Why does she have to go as far as she can in the sport as fast as possible?
This, they have L10s an have had Elites. Doesn't sound like a bad gym

And fast does necessarily equate to far. Fast can also equate to injuries, burnout and fear.

I assume what the OP is looking for is an opinion as to whether her dd has elite potential. Doing one level a year would get her to 10 at 15 years of age and give her plenty of time if a college scholarship is the goal. The only reason to skip levels would be if elite is the goal.

To the OP, I think you've hit the nail on the head when you asked what you do with the information. It only makes sense to me, if you're willing to move her to an elite gym that will progress her faster.

I think you have to ask the current gym first. If they're reluctant to talk, I think you have to just be direct. Tell her coach or the HC you want to have a meeting and then just flat out ask them if elite is a possibility with them.

OP here. Yes, I do think our current gym is very good quality and no, we're not planning on moving. I am not calling DD a phenom but I think -- like many of the girls at the gym -- she is talented. I just don't know *how* talented. If this path -- one level a year because that's all our gym does -- is a perfect fit for her talents, great. If her talent could (and I know -- even if she does have the raw talent -- a lot of future factors come into play) take her on to a college scholarship or elite and there's no way she could get there at one level a year, then I would like to know that. If her aspirations are to the moon and back and there's absolutely no way she can make it there, I'd like to know that, too. For one thing, the "serious" gymnastics path involves a lot of self-denial and saying "no" to other experiences and opportunities in life. DD at 10 seems willing to make those sacrifices but if I know that her talent is good but limited, it may well change my parenting approach.

When I have talked to the coaches, they have said that they are aware of her aspirations and they say, "We'll see." We will get a letter in a manila envelope in the Spring that will say which practice group she'll move to and we'll get 10 minutes of the coach's time in a quick sit-down with other parents standing in line all-around for their turn. That will be the extent of the info. I will get. Pushing any further for conversation gets you into CGM territory at our gym.

Well, that is better communication than you get at most gyms! I've never had a meeting or any kind of formal discussion with DD's coaches about what level she will be or about her future. You say they say they know what her aspirations are and they say, "we'll see." I honestly think that's a smart response from them - coaches that promise big things when a child hasn't even reached optionals are full of it, because anything can happen. These coaches are being honest with you.

It sounds like, if they have level 10s and have had elite, they know what to do to get your DD there, if they think it's a possibility. Keep in mind that her chances of reaching elite are very slim at her current age/level.

If you don't feel you're getting "enough" of an "answer" from your coaches, you can always check out other gyms - just know that your gym will find out. Only do this if you are willing to leave.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I am in need of some advice. DD is currently a 10-year-old Level 5. She has been in gymnastics since age 7, progressed fast, and won States at both old Level 4 and new Level 4. She is strongest at Bars and scored just under a 10 at the State meet. This season, they've added a toe-on toe-to-handstand to her Level 5 routine, and she can do giants. The gym talked about her training TOPS for a couple of years but felt that while her strength was very good (she could do 14 press handstands at one point), they didn't have time to get her skills up to par. DD wants gym to be her life (like most gym girls, I think!), which in her mind means going as far in the sport as she can.

We have a very good relationship with her coaches but they will not at all talk about anything related to even the near-future with us. The gym has a strong program (DD's biggest competitors have always been her own teammates) and train up through Level 10 and have some small history with Elites. They have a policy, though, of not allowing girls to skip levels at all, saying that they feel all of the fundamentals are most important and that level doesn't matter.

Because of their reluctance to communicate much and just not feeling like they really have a plan in mind for DD, my husband and I are starting to wonder if this approach is the right one for DD. Knowing she won't progress beyond the next level seems to be a bit of a damper for her. She is a very competitive kid and works for achieving more and more. While 10 isn't old, it doesn't seem too early to at least have in mind some kind of path in the sport, especially because DD has clearly communicated her hopes and level of commitment.

1) We're heading to a state with a strong reputation in gymnastics for Easter and one of the good gyms that trains high level gymnasts is willing to evaluate DD. I shared the above in my query but I guess I am second-guessing myself. Should I have her do the evaluation? What questions do I need to ask? Am I looking at this the right way? I want to seek advice out of state because word gets around our area fast and I have no interest in ruffling feathers or creating drama. I just want a second opinion.

2) What in the heck do I do with the information when I get it? DDs coaches are talented and she loves them. Am I opening up a can of worms in doing this? Does anyone have a better suggestion?

If you DD is a level 5 and has Giants already I would take that as a sign that they are training her in gymnastics and aren't concerned about levels. I see many gyms that have girls that could probably skip levels or compete a higher level, but they have them compete where they are highly successful while training at whatever pace is appropriate for them. That isn't a bad thing. Focus on the training she is getting and forget about the "level".

OP here. Yes, I do think our current gym is very good quality and no, we're not planning on moving. I am not calling DD a phenom but I think -- like many of the girls at the gym -- she is talented. I just don't know *how* talented. If this path -- one level a year because that's all our gym does -- is a perfect fit for her talents, great. If her talent could (and I know -- even if she does have the raw talent -- a lot of future factors come into play) take her on to a college scholarship or elite and there's no way she could get there at one level a year, then I would like to know that. If her aspirations are to the moon and back and there's absolutely no way she can make it there, I'd like to know that, too. For one thing, the "serious" gymnastics path involves a lot of self-denial and saying "no" to other experiences and opportunities in life. DD at 10 seems willing to make those sacrifices but if I know that her talent is good but limited, it may well change my parenting approach.

When I have talked to the coaches, they have said that they are aware of her aspirations and they say, "We'll see." We will get a letter in a manila envelope in the Spring that will say which practice group she'll move to and we'll get 10 minutes of the coach's time in a quick sit-down with other parents standing in line all-around for their turn. That will be the extent of the info. I will get. Pushing any further for conversation gets you into CGM territory at our gym.
Put a video up of her top 3 skills on each event.

1. Lots of good advice already above.
  2. Be aware that many gym owners and coaches know each other even from different states (it's a pretty small world). Also some coaches "freak out" if one of their gymnasts visits another gym. Your gym might or might not react that way. And they might or might not already know you've spoken with the other gym. Just things to consider.
  3. Sounds like you are at a good gym and your daughter is having some success and most importantly loves the sport. So why change anything? If it seems like most of the girls at your gym are very talented it could be because of the coaching they are receiving along with their ability.
  4. The question of whether or not they have a plan for "your daughter" comes up alot. My thought is most gyms only have specific plans for the very highest level gymnasts (10 & Elite). So they probably don't have a specific plan for your daughter because she's a ten year old level 5. They also might not have a specific plan for the 12 year old level 9 or the 10 year old level 7. But I don't think that is very unusual. It's practically impossible to predict how kids will progress.
^^^Unless you want everyone to know who you are, I wouldn't post a video of your child.

I think you're in the right place. If they have level 10's & elites, they know what they're doing. They will help her go as far as she can, but fast isn't always the best way. It's great that they are allowing her to train up while competing lower where she can score well. And honestly, you're getting way more communication than we get at our gym. Also, I think from a parent perspective, don't we all want to know where our childs future is going with gym? But if a coach said to you she was headed to the elite level and she stopped at 8 because of fear or injury, that would be a huge disappointment for you both. I think coaches love that these gymnasts have goals and they're determined, but there's no way of knowing if they'll burn out in a year or two or give it up for cheerleading in high school, or whatever else happens. If she's happy, loves her gym & teammates and the gym has a good history, I think you're good. Try not to push or be impatient. That's easier said than done, I know. Good luck to her & you!!

Are you talking about competing level 6 too? In our state it's not unusual for a talented kid to compete 5 in the fall (while they are actually training Level 7), skip 6 and compete 7 in the winter righter after their Level 5 state meet. So basically they could go from competing Level 4 to 7 in about 12 months. Without skipping any "levels" since the gym doesn't compete 6. Or for gyms that don't compete 5 (score out and have them compete 6 instead).... kind of the same thing can happen. Not too many gyms around here compete both 5 and 6... Then mostly they go back to at least a level a year...

Hi everyone,

if it ain't broke...

and it sounds like you are not hearing what YOU want to hear. we don't talk a lot either. we do gymnastics...

There is no ONE path to high level gymnastics. Each child has their own development, so to take her into a foreign gym, where they have no idea about her.......in order to get a complete assessment, seems very strange.

If she has Giants, that is awesome!!!!. Of course they will tell you she is VERY talented, they will tell you want you want to hear......NO good coach can tell you what her path will be, or how she will progress......they don't know!!!
If she is learning Giants, and uptraining, then they are doing many correct things. Many gyms strongly believe in compulsory levels, and force kids to stay in the levels, and then once they make optionals, they move faster. It all depends on skill acquisition.

One final note, parent to parent......be careful what you ask for......I have heard it a million times, ' my kid WANTS it SOOOO bad'.....your job is to pace her, and balance her.......she is 10 and has no idea what she thinks she is asking for.....furthermore, you must protect her from injury......which is inevitable.......

My DD is 10, and she wishes to make optionals this year. She works her butt off, and is a perfectionist.....she does NOT want to go to the Olympics, and is thinking about perhaps doing gymnastics is college one day .......maybe......she does not want it to consume her entire life, because she has many interests.....when she is a bit older, she may decide to focus more on it.....until now, 16 hours is it...and that fine. Don't get me wrong, gymnastics is her life, but it's not the only option.

I think it sounds like your kid is on track.:)

And honestly, (trying to say this nicely, I am not being snarky, I promise)...I can't imagine any coach being happy hearing you went somewhere else to get another opinion, especially without getting their opinion on getting another opinion....
...my two cents, for what its worth. We have a fantastic relationship with our coach, but I can assure you she would be furious if she found out we went behind her back and got an opinion out of state, because it would violate the trust we have in her coaching and making decisions for our child.
How does your child feel about all this? Did I miss this in the thread somewhere?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back