excited coach and parent

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

coachmike

I am new here and I think this sight is great. I think this sight can be a help for coaches and parents learn more about the sport and concerns that parents may have. I have coached for 12 years and have a 7yr old daughter who is first yr level four and my 6 yr old son is a first yr level 4. It is exciting to see my children to start to enjoy the sport like I have sense I was 5yrs old

Welcome-New here too

Hi- It's always nice to have a coaches perspective. I have been involved in my daughters gymnastics since she was 2, she's 12 now and either competing 6 or 7, and I still have to wonder sometimes "what were they thinking". Our gym has always had specific rules for changing levels. Last year they chose to throw the rules out and more two level 5's to 7 after competing only one meet as a six. This is the first time they ever did this and to be honest one of the girls, an 8 year old was truely talented. She had all the skills needed to compete at level 8 except for bars. But this girl had no committment to the sport. She was gifted with the perfect gymnastics body but had no work ethic. She never wanted to practice and only wanted to compete. She was a "princess" and all of the girls at level 7 were hurt by this move, as well as the level 6's. She always had excuses. this or that hurt, and eventually after scoring lousy at states this girl walked away from the gym, but the aftermath is that we all have questions about what the gym owner is going to do this year. Questions about levels are so frowned upon that I would never ask.

My dd competed at level 6 last year and scored solid 9's on everything except bars. She has always been"bar challenged", but as a second year 5 two years ago finished 3rd all-around at states, and has a true love for the sport. When they sepatated the girls for practices this season, they put he new level 6's with last years team, and moved two of the 5's to practice with the 7's. Once again we are wondering what is going on. My dd is truely dedicated to the sport, and I am so proud of her, because she has committed to "ruling" level 6 if they compete her there again.

The last few practices she has been moved to practice with the 7's, because people have been missing/sick at the gym. She has been loving practice soooooo much because this group has a much better work ethic, and she landed her full on both vault and floor, and her flip-flop on the beam, and they are working giants which her group has not been doing. Yesterday one of her coaches, she has 4, told her she should get used to working with this group, and her smile when she came home from the gym, just beamed. I am so concerned that they will not follow through with this carrot that was dangled, but I am afraid to talk to her coach about it. I don't want to be a "gym Mom" if you know what I mean...Am I out of line, or should I make an appointment with the head coach?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back