WAG Explaining AGA

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kassgymnast_

Gymnast
I've been asked "what is AGA?" Well I'm explaining now. Requirements, exit scores, all of it.
Home Page- http://www.aga-tx.org/
Skill Values- http://www.aga-tx.org/pdfs/AGACOP2017.pdf
Move up Scores- http://www.aga-tx.org/pdfs/AGAByLaws2016-2017.pdf

So what are the requirements and/or standard routines?

Junior Prep (JP 1-5)

Vault- FHS over table with trampoline
Bars- Not sure about requirements, but standard routine is pullover, front hip circle, squat on, tap swing, pull over, back hip circle, sole circle. Some girls do kips if they can and some do flyaway or sole circle full twist.
Beam- Single non blocking skill, half turn, 2 Bs, Round off or front tuck dismount
Floor- RO2BHS, FHS or front tuck, full turn, 2 Bs.

Junior (JR 6-10)

Vault- check skill values
Bars- Typical routine consists of kip, clearhip, stoop circle, squat on, HB kip, uprise ( a lot of girls don't have them) flyaway.
Beam- 4 Bs ( i believe ) B dismount (front tuck or cartwheel/ back walk over back tuck) Series with no flight (cartwheel swing through cartwheel for example) full turn,
Floor- 4 Bs, 3 flips within 3 passes, 1 1/2 turn

Senior (Sr 7-10)
Vault- check skill values
Bars- Well you're SUPPOSED to have: 4 Bs 2As and C, a handstand, a HtL release, a same bar release and a B dismount.. basically no one has those except the Bs and As
Beam- Series with flight (bwo bhs, fwo cartwheel, aerial swing through roundoff, etc) 4Bs, 2As, 1 C. B dismount, full turn
Floor- 3 flips within 2 passes, 2/1 turn, last pass must be a B, 4B, 2A, 1C.

I don't know much about elite so sorry.

And no, it isn't like USAG where you compete one level every year. If you get a certain score.. the next me you ARE THAT level. Scary... Hope this helped!!

I quite like that idea. At the most you could sandbag one meet and then get scored out and move up lol.

thanks for posting. I had never heard of this.

2 questions:

how exactly does one move through the levels? For instance, a gymnast's first ever competition, she would start in level 1? If she scores a 34.4, does she go to jr elite the very next meet? Or does it mean she has fulfilled the requirements of the Jr prep division and must move up to the junior division?

why would they use the same levels and labels (pre-elite, jr/sr elite, etc) as JO/elite if they don't match up fairly equally? just adds to the confusion.

2 questions:

how exactly does one move through the levels? For instance, a gymnast's first ever competition, she would start in level 1? If she scores a 34.4, does she go to jr elite the very next meet? Or does it mean she has fulfilled the requirements of the Jr prep division and must move up to the junior division?

why would they use the same levels and labels (pre-elite, jr/sr elite, etc) as JO/elite if they don't match up fairly equally? just adds to the confusion.

At C2, it says : 2. A gymnast scoring more than the maximum for her level advances to the next level in the next competition.
So im guessing she would just move up 1 level? Not sure though...

At C2, it says : 2. A gymnast scoring more than the maximum for her level advances to the next level in the next competition.
But in C3, is says that if they score high enough to pass multiple levels, they are that level. So, if they were Junior Prep 1 and scored a 34.0, they would move to Junior 6... Jumping the rest of Junior Prep.

And actually, it says that before the first meet, gymnasts can be evaluated by 2 people to determine their starting level.

2 questions:

Okay so basically , at the beginning of your first AGA season, you go to a ranking meet. Depending on your skill level, you will rank JP, Jr, or Sr. Most rank JP unless they come from outside gyms or already have skills. So if at your first meet, you got a 31.00, you would start AGA season as a JP 4(such as me!). However if you hit 34.00 at this meet, you would rank to a Jr 6 and start there. You cannot go higher if you are a JP, even if you get a 40.00. Once you are in the Jrs, (6-10) scores up to 33.00 will be within juniors. This goes for the same, if you get a 33.00 you go to Sr. 7 but no higher. Once you are sr. 7, you can rank within the rest of the levels. you cannot go down. (fact: we have one Sr. elite in the entire program and she goes to my gym lol)

^^ for the kids who came from outside gyms (example about my friend who came from hawaii) if they were like a L8 in usag they would most likely rank sr because of their skill level, meaning they will not be any level below sr in their entire AGA career. My friend ranked Sr 9 at her first AGA meet as a sr ranking. (note if you are just jp ranking you canNOT go higher than level 6 at that meet. same for jr ranking can't go higher than 10 at that meet)

you can skip multiple levels. This is specifically how mine went:
JP ranking
JP 4
JP 5
JP 6
Jr 7
Jr 10
Sr 7
Sr 8
Sr 9

This was my sisters (who started the year after):
JP ranking
Jr 6
Jr 7
Jr 8
Jr 9
Jr 10

Her specially was a Jr 6 almost an entire season, same with 7. After like 4 years she moved through the levels one by one, as other kids may skip all levels. This happened to one kid, some way some how:
JP ranking
Jr 6
Sr 7
Pre elite
Then she switched to an outside USAG gym .

Is there a difference in skill level between Junior prep 1 and junior prep 4 for example? Or does junior prep 1 just have lower-scoring girls?

Is there a difference in skill level between Junior prep 1 and junior prep 4 for example? Or does junior prep 1 just have lower-scoring girls?

there is no difference except low scoring. the requirements are the same, but typically a JP 4 has more/better skills than a JP 1. The requirements are different through out the divisions (jp, jr, sr, elite)

Okay so basically , at the beginning of your first AGA season, you go to a ranking meet. Depending on your skill level, you will rank JP, Jr, or Sr. Most rank JP unless they come from outside gyms or already have skills. So if at your first meet, you got a 31.00, you would start AGA season as a JP 4(such as me!). However if you hit 34.00 at this meet, you would rank to a Jr 6 and start there. You cannot go higher if you are a JP, even if you get a 40.00. Once you are in the Jrs, (6-10) scores up to 33.00 will be within juniors. This goes for the same, if you get a 33.00 you go to Sr. 7 but no higher. Once you are sr. 7, you can rank within the rest of the levels. you cannot go down. (fact: we have one Sr. elite in the entire program and she goes to my gym lol)
So you can basically "score up" a division (JP, JR, Sr, etc) but you can only go up one division per meet. OK, that makes a lot more sense. I just couldn't figure out how a JP who got a 34.5 could be considered ready to be a Sr. So it appears that each division would be likened to xcel levels (not the same requirements but skill level is broken down into 4 groups on a hierarchy) but within those divisions, you compete against like scoring girls instead of by age and you can't stay in a division if you have shown mastery (not perfection) of the skills. If Jr prep has all A skills and you score high, you must move to Jr, which includes some B skills. I could see the draw toward this type of system particularly for girls who want to learn and compete skills but don't necessarily want to spend 20 hours a week perfecting the skills.

So you can basically "score up" a division (JP, JR, Sr, etc) but you can only go up one division per meet. OK, that makes a lot more sense. I just couldn't figure out how a JP who got a 34.5 could be considered ready to be a Sr. So it appears that each division would be likened to xcel levels (not the same requirements but skill level is broken down into 4 groups on a hierarchy) but within those divisions, you compete against like scoring girls instead of by age and you can't stay in a division if you have shown mastery (not perfection) of the skills. If Jr prep has all A skills and you score high, you must move to Jr, which includes some B skills. I could see the draw toward this type of system particularly for girls who want to learn and compete skills but don't necessarily want to spend 20 hours a week perfecting the skills.
Just too bad there aren't too many gyms who compete this programm. I agree that it sound amazing for girls who don't want to spend too many hours.

Just too bad there aren't too many gyms who compete this programm. I agree that it sound amazing for girls who don't want to spend too many hours.

Yeah. I really wish there were more gyms who competed AGA because imo it seems like a better program than excel with more levels and skill variety, no age divisions. Currently AGA is only located in Texas and one gym in Oklahoma, unfortunately. I wish it was more gyms because I know a lot of gyms would like to take part.

Yeah. I really wish there were more gyms who competed AGA because imo it seems like a better program than excel with more levels and skill variety, no age divisions. Currently AGA is only located in Texas and one gym in Oklahoma, unfortunately. I wish it was more gyms because I know a lot of gyms would like to take part.

When you say that there are no age groups, does that mean a 8 year old could compete against a 14 year old with the same Skill level?

When you say that there are no age groups, does that mean a 8 year old could compete against a 14 year old with the same Skill level?

yes. I'm not sure if I said it earlier, but there are jr preps as young as 5 and as old as 16. It all depends on the personal skill level. We have a few 9 year olds in sr, and most of us are 15.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back