Explanation of current levels systems WG

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MissLisa

Coach
Gymnast
Hi,
I've been out of the competition scene for 10 years now (eek!) and it has changed so much since then. I felt like I knew what was going on a few years ago but I seem to have lagged behind again due to not being in a gym that offers actual levels programs. I was wondering where I could find a summary of how all the different levels etc work. Also, wondering if there is somewhere I can access the levels routines?
Ta

While everything is changing next year and noone is too sure about the new requirements yet, Gymnastics Qld has the most information available - here are the summaries for levels 1 - 6 (1 -3 has some differences in other states)
Pretty sure youtube or ordering through state gymnastics is the only way to find the actual routines?

http://www.gymqld.org.au/site/gymna...Level 1 - 3 Summaries_updated 14 Feb 2013.pdf

http://www.gymqld.org.au/site/gymna... - 2013 with changes_updated 14 Feb 2013.pdf

The current levels system will change at the start of 2015. This system will only be in place until the end of the year.

There are two streams in Australia - national stream and International stream. The vast majority of gymnast compete in national stream. A select w who are training for elite gymnastics will train in the international stream.

The national stream has three parts. Levels 1-3, levels 4-6, levels 7-10.

In levels 1-3 all gymnasts will perform the same routine on each apparatus. There are two stages of routines in each level. There are the prep routines and the full routines. There are competitions for gymnasts doing both the prep and full routines. Generally the prep routines are for those do less hours.

Competitions are not compulsory at this stage. So gyms do them and some don't, but most off the option. You can levels test in class and don't need to do a competition to pass.

In level 4-6 each gymnast has their own routine and their own music for floor. There are set requirements for each level skill wise. But the gymnasts can put them in, in any order. Some requirements are very specific ie - must do a round off flic, and others are more general. Ie must do an A or above jump.

In level 4-6 there are bonus skills which can be out into the routine as well, and for each of these you get an additional 0.2 added to your start value. But level 4's can earn only up to 0.4 bonus, level 5's can earn up to 0.6 and level 6 up to 0.8.

From level 4 gymnasts will need to pass their level at a competition to move up to the next level.

The next stage is level 7-10 which are optional routines. This is more like the elite requirements where they get points for how difficult their skills are, for fulfilling certain criteria and for connection bonus's. The routines become much more indidividual. For this stage gymnasts can qualify to compete at nationals.

Then there is the international stream which has 9 levels. IDP 1, IDP 2, IDP 3, IDP 4, IDP 5, IDP 6, IDP 8, IDP 10, junior international and senior international. These levels are generally only trained at high performance gyms. From IDP 1-6 there are set routines on every apparatus which everyone does the same. In IDP 8 you have a set routine but you can fill it with many bonus skills. From IDP 10 gymnasts compete FIg international requirements.

Some states also have another star which is the state stream. But this has nothing to do with the Australian program. It is a choice each state makes.

I have level 1-3 routines if you want them feel free to pm me and I'll shoot them through to you

If you go to your states website you can download the technical manual which will give some information.

To add to Aussie Coach. NSW has a very strong state stream. Level 1-3 prep is very much used as the first levels of the state stream with competitions offering level 1-3 prep and level 4-10 state or offering NDP.
The gymnsw manual also has the state stream (level 4-10) routines in it which can give you some idea (in general about a level below ndp but for instance level 4 is similar to ndp 4 but with lower requirements eg 135 degree rather 180 etc)

Thanks very much for all your help. It doesn't (at this stage) sound too different from when I competed except the splitting of ndp and idp. I think we only had a state stream and the elite stream of which I dabbled in both when I was a young gymnast but mainly state stream. I'm on the border of 2 states currently so will check out both states websites and the links above.

Now I wish there was such thing as university gymnastics here! Enlighten me if there is. Lol..

Thanks again :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back