Parents ExtraOrdinary Athletes

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I’m so proud of my daughters endlessly unfailing positive attitude.
She has natural talent as a gymnast but is by no means a phenom. Sometimes she’s at the top and sometimes she’s at the bottom. She works hard and at times sees others place higher, move up faster, but she continues to work and make progress and love her sport even when it doesn’t love her. She knows how to both win and lose gracefully. She supports her teammates no matter what.
Honestly I could take a few lessons from her in not focusing on scores and looking at the bigger picture!

I'm proud of my daughter for always giving 110% even though I know she's tired of long practices especially when she's not feeling 100%. She also started middle school this year has maintained all A's, got student of the month for responsibility, has made new friends and kept the old ones too. She stays clear of girl drama. She doesn't let much bother her. She's going to be in the 6th grade pageant and she's got so much confidence. Sometimes I wish I was her! She's my role model and I love her too pieces!

I watch, and then wonder why he misses those same skills when the judges are watching.
I swear, her father and I hate a good warm up. Especially on bars and beam. We find when she gets the bobbles out of the way she does better when it counts. We see a good bar or beam warm and look at each other and go uh oh who knows how this is going to go. Been like this since L2......

Well today DD earned a score of 0.00 on vault without scratching! She hit the board wrong and landed with her feet on the vault table. Second vault she did the famous buttahara from Stick it! Did 2 vaults got a 0.00. However she had the most beautiful bar routine she has ever had as her next event and scored her first 9 in bars

I'm going to start videoing warm ups. She would of loved to been able to see that vault. And if she can do it once it will come again.
I have asked my DD to watch her successful version of a skill (from a mock meet) just to help her with visualization and to remind her that she CAN do it. Knowing something intellectually and seeing herself actually do it are very different somehow.

I have asked my DD to watch her successful version of a skill (from a mock meet) just to help her with visualization and to remind her that she CAN do it. Knowing something intellectually and seeing herself actually do it are very different somehow.
When my girl gets frustrated with anytHong, school, gym, whatever. I pull up her first cartwheels..... and whatever the last thing she struggled with that now is solid. So helpful

After being cast aside last spring by the gym where she’d spent five years, this weekend my daughter had a successful L5 debut. She beautifully landed all the L5 skills the old gym said she’d never be able to do, and took third on bars to boot. She doesn’t think it’s anything special, but I have rarely been more proud.

After being cast aside last spring by the gym where she’d spent five years, this weekend my daughter had a successful L5 debut. She beautifully landed all the L5 skills the old gym said she’d never be able to do, and took third on bars to boot. She doesn’t think it’s anything special, but I have rarely been more proud.
Good for her- that's fantastic!

My DD is definitely extraordinary to me. Today is the 6th anniversary of her first gymnastics meet (thanks fb memories!), and she just Venmo’d a meet director payment for her first college club meet (college sure works differently! Ha!). She’s injured and can only compete two events. She doesn’t have a team- her college has a practice club but no official NAIGC team- so she’s getting on a bus (I bought the ticket as a gift) 4 hours each way to compete on her own. She is the living embodiment of doing it for the love of the sport, and she is amazing to me for it.

My DD is definitely extraordinary to me. Today is the 6th anniversary of her first gymnastics meet (thanks fb memories!), and she just Venmo’d a meet director payment for her first college club meet (college sure works differently! Ha!). She’s injured and can only compete two events. She doesn’t have a team- her college has a practice club but no official NAIGC team- so she’s getting on a bus (I bought the ticket as a gift) 4 hours each way to compete on her own. She is the living embodiment of doing it for the love of the sport, and she is amazing to me for it.

Wow!

My daughter has been going through a huge streak of injuries this past year. She has never given up and has always worked so hard to come back from being out. It was always hard for her not being able to do certain stuff because of injury but she still worked hard on whatever she could do even though it was frustrating to have so many things she couldn’t.

After an average season in a new level last season, my daughter has been performing exceptionally well after being bumped to a new level again this year. I was especially proud of her performance at Gymnix, where she showed a lot of poise and focus competing on a huge stage for the first time. The silver medal was just a bonus :D

I've enjoyed reading everyone's replies!! As a quick reminder, if you didn't read the first post:

Without including scores, placements, other other accolades, I would so love to hear from anyone who wants to celebrate or share something cool and positive about their athlete(s).

There are lots of places and times where scores/placements/etc.. get celebrated, including on the podium, end of year banquets, brag threads, and social media. This thread is not that place! This thread is for celebrating the other stuff :) So please leave scores/medals/etc out for this thread please - Thanks!!

Well, since post season is in flux right now, I will share my DD's favorite accomplishment of her season. After literally falling on EVERY bar routine last year (yes, even at nationals) she upgraded her routine and hit most of them this season! The first time she competed (and she caught it) her jaeger, I admit I got teary. Her whole team went nuts. So glad I got a good video that shows her routine and her team mates jumping up and down for her when she caught it.

So glad I got a good video that shows her routine and her team mates jumping up and down for her when she caught it.

Those are my favorite moments in the gym and at meets when someone does something new or gets something they lost or any number of the individual victories they achieve--and then everyone goes nuts. I remmeber one night an EXCEL girl was working on her kip the entire last rotation of the night and by the end all practices were done there were JO and Excel Girls and coaches in the gym parents in the waiting room all watching her try and get that kip and encouraging her and then she finally did it and everyone was cheering. It was so cool to see. I didnt know who the kids was at all but I was cheering in the waiting room too.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back