Extreme Competition Nerves

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I do rhythmic and for the past 4 years i have been dealing with extreme competition nerves.Every first routine i have done i have to run off the floor halfway through it to vomit. I have found it extremely embarrasing and havecome to a point of being nervous because of beinng nervous. I haveseen a psychologist but it hasnt helped. I nowdo yoga andthing of seeing s sport psychologist. Has this happened to anyone? Any advice?
thanks

You might be hyperventilating. A physiotherapist might be able to help by teaching breathing exercises to calm down your nervous system. For example, breathing into the belly, and exhaling for longer than you inhale, e.g. in for 3 counts, out for 5. Relaxing yoga postures should also be helpful - forward bending stretches are calming to the nervous system, whereas back bends are stimulating.

Yes I tried breathing exercises, didn't help :(. But I am now doing yoga and healing which I hope will help, and I may be seeing a sports psychologist.

I used to get super nervous and completely forget my routine, meaning I would have to make it up on the spot. This may not work but try it anyway: just completely block out the audience and remember that most of them don't really care how well you do. Perform for yourself and nobody else. It may help to ask your coach if it would be possible for you to hire out the venue for an hour of two a few days before the competition so you can get used to your surroundings and feel a bit more comfortable there. I'm sorry if none of this helps but I hope it will.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back