WAG Faehn in Australia?! Well this is news.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

There was discussion about this a while ago....not surprised she left the US to coach as she's so radioactive here especially after what happened in Michigan, she was never getting a coaching job in any capacity in the US in the near future. Australia is a nice country and a unique opportunity for her family so that would make it attractive as well.

I'm guessing her purgatory will last several years in exile before she either decides not to try to coach in the US or someone decides to hire her 10 years down the road. The survivors group is vast and vocal so she's unlikely to get a job unnoticed in the US.

There was discussion about this a while ago....not surprised she left the US to coach as she's so radioactive here especially after what happened in Michigan, she was never getting a coaching job in any capacity in the US in the near future. Australia is a nice country and a unique opportunity for her family so that would make it attractive as well.

I'm guessing her purgatory will last several years in exile before she either decides not to try to coach in the US or someone decides to hire her 10 years down the road. The survivors group is vast and vocal so she's unlikely to get a job unnoticed in the US.

Sorry I missed the previous discussion! Interesting that those in Aus seem to not care about her "legacy". At least no one willing to speak up.

So are you of the opinion that Rhonda should never work again?

Nope. I just think it's interesting that here in the US she isn't able to get a job in coaching without an uproar, and in Australia, at least according to the article I linked, it sounds like everyone is perfectly happy to have her coaching with no concerns.

Well, that is interesting. It certainly hasn't been widely advertised that she has taken on a coaching role over here in Australia. Waverley is the club of choice for many aspiring international gymnasts here in Victoria and they have a reputation for bringing in the best coaches and churning out some very good gymnasts, so I also have to say, I'm not surprised that is where she has landed.

To give some context to the situation, it is also important to understand that gymnastics in Australia has been / is going through a very tough phase. Not qualifying a team to Rio (for the first time since the 80s) was like a bullet for the old system. There have been many changes to the program, and it is morphing into something apparently quite similar in structure to your US system. Hardly surprising given that Mihai is now National coach. I know he was flabbergasted that we were still running a system reminiscent of the Chinese programs in the 80s. (which, granted, thrust Australia onto the National stage for the first time) It would seem that a reference from Mihai would be like gold over here. And, i also suspect, that whilst Rhonda Faehn would be a very well known name in the US, in the gymnastics community here (significantly smaller, and much more removed) there would be a large portion of parents, and perhaps even coaches, who might recognize the name as familiar, but not recall the context. In fact, I would have to say, if I was not an avid follower of this forum, it would be unlikely that I would know who she was, such has been the lack of reporting here past the names of Larry Nassar and John Geddert. It's not an excuse, just context.

Additionally, Australian gymnastics is a world leader in terms of Child protection, and the process coaches need to go through to be permitted to coach, or even be in a space with children is strict. That's not to say it's prefect, but it certainly is a leading model. She would have been required to jump through a great many hoops to be even allowed in the gym n the first place.

I guess the question comes down to this : should she ever be given the opportunity to atone for her sins (so to speak). My honest answer is, I don't know. I like to think I am a forgiving and rational person, however I would be lying if i said I wouldn't have any concerns about her working with my athletes ( as a coach ) or my children (as a parent). It could be however, just what she needs to understand the true impact of her actions, and make some serious effort to make ammends. It is also worth noting that Waverley is a staunch supporter of the Bravehearts foundation here in Australia - which is a child protection organisation. Larissa Miller - who was the AUS representative at Rio is a patron of the organisation and has been very forthcoming about her experiences of abuse as a child.

At the end of the day, perhaps I'm like to get splinters from sitting on the fence so much. I don't think there is an easy response to this one. I do fully understand how people in the US would feel slighted at her appointment. I wonder whether there will be any further responses now that it has been made public over here.

Hopefully this has provided some context to the situation - and perhaps why it hasn't caused an uproar here - because it has been kept very quiet.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back