Fall on squat on-Level 6

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I

isaelijohjac

Hi there. My daughter has fallen on her squat on a couple of times during meets. What should she do if she does it again? She was just landing on the mat and doing a pullover and then squat--should she not drop off the bar and just kip back up and try the squat on again?
thanks so much in advance. She has a very good bar routine and she is working hard to make sure she does the squat on but would like to know where she can get the least deductions at States if it happens. I just keep telling her it won't happen, but she keeps asking "Just in case".....

just for heads up, she probley should not let go of the bar if she can, but she can just get and try again, or just climb up and keep continuing of her rutine :)

A fall is a fall is a fall is a fall...regardless if she lets go of the bar or not. At Level 6 they have an option of doing a sole circle or a squat on, but it doesn't sound like your daugher has learned that, no big deal. If a kid falls on a squat on, they should pull over (or jump up) and then climb to the high bar. If she got her feet on during the squat on she has received credit for the skill, so no need to repeat and potentially fall again. You also don't want to do a kip, because the judges can start taking execution deductions as soon as you start doing skills that are in your routine.

Bottom line: for the least amount of deductions: take a minute to regroup (you can even get some chalk or talk to your coach), jump to front support and then climb to the high bar and continue your routine starting with your long hang kip.

A fall is a fall is a fall is a fall...regardless if she lets go of the bar or not. At Level 6 they have an option of doing a sole circle or a squat on, but it doesn't sound like your daugher has learned that, no big deal. If a kid falls on a squat on, they should pull over (or jump up) and then climb to the high bar. If she got her feet on during the squat on she has received credit for the skill, so no need to repeat and potentially fall again. You also don't want to do a kip, because the judges can start taking execution deductions as soon as you start doing skills that are in your routine.

Bottom line: for the least amount of deductions: take a minute to regroup (you can even get some chalk or talk to your coach), jump to front support and then climb to the high bar and continue your routine starting with your long hang kip.

Actually, the judge begins judging NOT when the first skill is performed (as in optionals), but where the routine left off. If an athlete does a squat on and falls, the judge cannot take any deductions until the athlete stands on the low bar and jumps (which is part of the kip) to the high bar to resume the routine.

It's up to the coach how the athlete gets up on the low bar. The athlete actually has the right to start the whole routine over, but judging does not resume until the point of the fall.

I would work on toe circles... if she doesnt get it it was worth a try. but ppl usually just pullover and put one foot on then climb up.

Actually, the judge begins judging NOT when the first skill is performed (as in optionals), but where the routine left off. If an athlete does a squat on and falls, the judge cannot take any deductions until the athlete stands on the low bar and jumps (which is part of the kip) to the high bar to resume the routine.

It's up to the coach how the athlete gets up on the low bar. The athlete actually has the right to start the whole routine over, but judging does not resume until the point of the fall.

Yes, this has been addressed in the Compulsory Q and A because of all the issues with missed long hang kips and whatnot. If they started judging from the point of swinging skills with compulsories, L5s would be getting hit for adding additional skills all over the place.

I usually tell my girls to climb up, because most (although not all) are better at that than the squat on though. However, with both of these issues (squat on and the long hang kip) it depends on their ability and whether they actually completed the skill prior to the fall. If the squat on was initiated and the feet did not hit for some reason, then they would need to repeat for credit (although that would be unlikely in this scenario).

Also as functional advice, we constantly tell kids to get their shoulders over the bar, but a couple months ago I had some respond better to tell them to get their bottom up and keep it up until standing (rather than trying to "perch" on the bar). When they fall back sometimes it's because they're getting their feet on in the right position, and then trying to sit back on their heels and balance there. It's too hard to balance in this position most of the time.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back