WAG Fall season

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A family friend is a hospital doctor in MA and as of the first week of April he said they were seeing younger people need to be admitted more and more - half their covid patients at that time were in their 20’s. Just because younger people aren’t dying doesn’t mean that contracting it would be no biggie. Plus, it can leave survivors with lung damage.
There will be a tipping point when the damage to the economy is deemed worse than the risk of the virus, and that point is coming soon. I’ll be sending my girl to gym as soon as it’s open because I think at that point the benefits will outweigh the risks and because I actually feel, based on what I saw about how things were handled in early March, like she’ll be safer at gym than she’d be at school or church. But we will still be taking as many precautions as possible. This is not something to take lightly.

A family friend is a hospital doctor in MA and as of the first week of April he said they were seeing younger people need to be admitted more and more - half their covid patients at that time were in their 20’s. Just because younger people aren’t dying doesn’t mean that contracting it would be no biggie. Plus, it can leave survivors with lung damage.
There will be a tipping point when the damage to the economy is deemed worse than the risk of the virus, and that point is coming soon. I’ll be sending my girl to gym as soon as it’s open because I think at that point the benefits will outweigh the risks and because I actually feel, based on what I saw about how things were handled in early March, like she’ll be safer at gym than she’d be at school or church. But we will still be taking as many precautions as possible. This is not something to take lightly.

I don't think anyone is saying contracting it will necessarily be no biggie (of course for some people it really is a mild illness so for those lucky ones that is the case). While the risk of serious disease is real, it's still a low risk for me and my family. The risk of prolonged illness is, for sure, higher than the risk of serious disease. It's all about risk vs. benefit, just like everything in life.

I don't think anyone is saying contracting it will necessarily be no biggie (of course for some people it really is a mild illness so for those lucky ones that is the case). While the risk of serious disease is real, it's still a low risk for me and my family. The risk of prolonged illness is, for sure, higher than the risk of serious disease. It's all about risk vs. benefit, just like everything in life.

I don’t think anyone here said that, either. But there are some people out there who do think that and are acting accordingly. I was adding support to what profmom said about how it’s not only an issue for people in nursing homes.

I don’t think anyone here said that, either. But there are some people out there who do think that and are acting accordingly.
There are definitely every range of how people are acting. I know people who haven’t even quarantined, and their state has it in place. I also know people who haven’t left their house in almost a month now and have no intention of leaving to even go to the grocery store until this is over, they have stockpiled for the next 6 months, and if they end up eating just rice that is what they will do. We are in the middle over here, and for us personally, that is the healthiest for us to be mentally. Mental health across the world is being tested. Domestic violence is up, suicide calls and cases are up, alcoholics are relapsing...it’s just so sad.

I have friends on the front lines and I understand the devastation but I think you are comparing apples to oranges. Schools are regimented by the calendar year, even if they could go back the transition back to school and out for summer would ensure that no actual learning would happen. Gymnastics gyms train all year long. Send your child back when you feel it’s safe. Someone will decide when gyms can open again, some parents will think it’s too early, others not early enough.
Just not feeling about sport ( leisure) when people are dying and healthcare workers are risquing their lives. ( I’m not in the usa and in the épicenter of m’y country).

Some have said things along the lines of sport is the last of our worries right now, or gymnastics is just an extra curricular activity.

But exercise/sport/physical activity play a huge role in maintaining both physical and mental well being. I a, not saying that means that gyms should reopen, I am just saying that their value is incredible.

Strength, conditioning and fitness work are very important in strengthening the immune system, those who have significantly reduced their activity levels during this crisis may be more prone to infections and find them harder to fight off.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back